Jalopnik: RWD Lincoln coming, and it's a crossover

Crossover? Doesn't the entire auto market have enough of these annoying "crossover" vehicles? I hate that term and the looks of most of these types of vehicles anyway.

Stupid auto makers. They have some nerve giving people vehicles they want to buy and making money off of it.

Stupid auto makers. They have some nerve giving people vehicles they want to buy and making money off of it.

Why can't they all be like GM!?!! Just building proper vehicles on expensive platforms and watch sales numbers plummet! Obviously the way to go....duh! :stirpot:

Why can't they all be like GM!?!! Just building proper vehicles on expensive platforms and watch sales numbers plummet! Obviously the way to go....duh! :stirpot:

Ah but GM (Cadillac) is playing to its perceived RWD deficiencies and not to its strengths,

the abundance of Utilities it freely gives to other marques, Cadillac should have four utilities.

Ford/Lincoln knows this and that's why it has MKC, MKZ, Aviator for MKT? and Navigator.

Execution of product is key here, not what wheels are driven.

Edited by jpd80

Ah but GM (Cadillac) is playing to its perceived RWD deficiencies and not to its strengths,

the abundance of Utilities it freely gives to other marques, Cadillac should have four utilities.

Ford/Lincoln knows this and that's why it has MKC, MKZ, Aviator for MKT? and Navigator.

Execution of product is key here, not what wheels are driven.

Is your sarcasm detector broken? Haha

It's been funny to see "self ordained automotive journalists" regurgitate these two articles over the last week. When more mainline websites link to TTAC, they would seem to beyond being desperate for material. It's been just as funny to read the analysis of the rumor by the "self ordained expert blogging heads". If A near RWD crossover platform is coming, the many missing details will likely determine how wise or foolish of a decision Is being made by Ford/Lincoln.

Great execution can save what many would consider a sketchy business case. Look at the Subaru Outback. It is basically a station wagon with a very expensive to manufacture engine and drivetrain. Could you offer a bigger target to those of the cost accounting mindset. It's darn successful, regardless, and pretty much anchors the brand in Europe and North America. Getting there first and making consistent upgrades certainly helped. The poor Pontiac Aztec's basic concept is not much different than that of today's Honda CRX, and several other successful vehicles. They created an infamous flop from a seemingly sound business case.

It just might take a new generation, aluminum rich platform to bring Lincoln back from the almost dead. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus have all been linked to new platforms with increased aluminum, high strength steel, or FRP. Maybe it doesn't make business sense to invest in bringing out platforms that would still lag behind those that competitors are soon to replace. If this mythical platform wouldn't house the Navigator, then the 2.7 Nano is the largest engine it needs to accommodate. This would help to alleviate some packaging issues with a clean-sheat design. There are too many ifs and maybes for me to make any conclusions about this "story".

It is basically a station wagon with a very expensive to manufacture engine and drivetrain. Could you offer a bigger target to those of the cost accounting mindset. It's darn successful, regardless

About that Outlook:

Subaru was formerly propped up by GM and is now propped up by Toyota. They are majority owned by Fuji. They are not an independent car company.

Additionally, any expensive-to-manufacture engine and drivetrain gets cheap when you put it in dang near every vehicle you build--and do we have *any* evidence that this engine is particularly expensive to build?

Finally, success is a matter of opinion. The Outlook, Forrester and XV are, basically, Subaru--and none of them comes close to a competing Ford product in volume.

Edited by RichardJensen

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that opposed fours are considerably more expensive to manufacture than inline fours. They have lots more parts and more complex intake and exhaust routing. The boxer sixes might have part counts similar to V6's, but the intake/exhaust routing is more complex. The Subaru AWD system definitely has more parts and design complexity than systems such as the I-AWD.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that opposed fours are considerably more expensive to manufacture than inline fours. They have lots more parts and more complex intake and exhaust routing. The boxer sixes might have part counts similar to V6's, but the intake/exhaust routing is more complex. The Subaru AWD system definitely has more parts and design complexity than systems such as the I-AWD.

It can't be any more complicated and expensive than an ecoboost I4.

"Supposedly" most of the complex intake features of the Ecoboost are arriving on, or are heading towards the Subaru boxers. I Haven't studied the intricacies of various twin turbo DI designs, but quite a few manufacturers appear to be heading that way. Mechanical complexity will likely always be expensive. Electronic complexity seems to come down in cost after a couple of years. I do realize that ecoboost takes some precise mechanical bits to make work.

You state how GM's expensive development of RWD platforms help to drive it to bankruptcy. I don't argue with that. I also propose that too many years of behind the times FWD platforms was more responsible. Ford and Chrysler did the same in bringing outdated FWD cars to market for awhile. If GM and Ford would have developed competitive FWD platforms over the last 25 years for their mass market divisions, while they did the same for at least one RWD platform, both companies and their luxury divisions would be in better shape. They yielded lots of market share, profits, and brand equity by failing to concurrently do both.

It doesn't matter so much whether it's FWD or RWD. What matters is building great vehicles that can be sold at a reasonable profit and spreading platform costs among multiple vehicles to get sufficient volume.

Bad platforms and vehicles will kill you. Great platforms and vehicles will save you if they're targeted correctly. You can't sell a $100K sedan with a transverse V6 with part time AWD limited to 350 hp. You can't sell a FWD full-sized pickup to Ford, Dodge and GM customers. You can't justify an expensive RWD platform for a midsized family sedan.

more complex intake and exhaust routing

The Subaru AWD system definitely has more parts and design complexity than systems such as the I-AWD.

There are two ways of looking at this:

To the extent that Subaru's boxer configuration is more expensive to manufacture without yielding any benefit for the vast and overwhelming majority of buyers, it goes a long way to explain why Subaru is not an independent manufacturer.

And there is no particular connection between engineering complexity and casting/machining/assembly complexity. I can't imagine that boxers require a significantly greater amount of labor to assemble than other configurations.

Last: Subaru's AWD does not seem to be any more complex than any other viscous unit with a center diff. Ford, of course, does not use a center diff because they don't provide full time AWD, and again, for the vast and overwhelming majority of buyers, full time AWD is pointless, which gets us right back to Subaru being, basically, a JV between Fuji and (these days) Toyota, with no hope of standing on its own two feet because its managers don't make good business decisions.

We could get into the complexity of Japanese corporate ownership as none of their companies have ever stood on their own without holding companies, sister corporations, and government subsidies and protective regulations......but my point of interest in this conversation is that the automotive industry is far more complicated than continuing down the current path of the most volume for the least investment. This has never been static. These snapshots in time also become the target of dumping, discounts and other such profit killers.

Nobody is saying every decision has to be least investment most profit or that low volume low profit projects shouldn't be built.

We're saying that you go after the low hanging fruit first which is the highest volume, highest profit with the least investment and get that squared away BEFORE you go after NICHE products.

We're saying that you go after the low hanging fruit first which is the highest volume, highest profit with the least investment and get that squared away BEFORE you go after NICHE products.

I recall a quote from J Mays back in '06 or so that said almost exactly the same thing--that Lincoln had to get the sedans right before they could move on to coupes.

We could get into the complexity of Japanese corporate ownership as none of their companies have ever stood on their own without holding companies, sister corporations, and government subsidies and protective regulations......but my point of interest in this conversation is that the automotive industry is far more complicated than continuing down the current path of the most volume for the least investment.

So you think that, basically, Toyota & Subaru are peers, and that both companies are equally incapable of surviving independently? Even though Toyota is essentially its own keiretsu at this point, and Subaru is just a tiny part of the enormous Fuji keiretsu?

And your underlying point is that Ford should be more like Subaru, which you've just admitted cannot function as an independent car company?

Edited by RichardJensen