Jalopnik: RWD Lincoln coming, and it's a crossover

Are 40-50k a year sales going to make it profitable?

I think 60k US sales of the Expy is a reasonable estimate, add on, akirby's 25k for the Aviator, and, say 15k Navigator sales, all (IMO) conservative US-only estimates, and you've got a lot of incremental volume to pay for the added cost of the Explorer's powertrain. You'd be adding, say, 50k units of profit in the US that could go a long way toward offsetting costs in the Explorer.

Ask Motor Trend, C&D, or consumer report, they will be more than happy to tell you everything about how the GC is far beyond the competition in every way but fuel economy

Not showing up in the monthly sales reports. I'm not sure how heavily it's discounted, but I don't expect it to outsell the new Edge, and the new Edge should be more profitable.

I think 60k US sales of the Expy is a reasonable estimate, add on, akirby's 25k for the Aviator, and, say 15k Navigator sales, all (IMO) conservative US-only estimates, and you've got a lot of incremental volume to pay for the added cost of the Explorer's powertrain. You'd be adding, say, 50k units of profit in the US that could go a long way toward offsetting costs in the Explorer.

You do realize you are not an expert.

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, ZanatWork said:

Being the fan of a brand is unsettlingly like being the fan of a sports team...complete with all the peaks and valleys, love/hate relationships with various coaches and players, and occasionally looking back at previous eras with new eyes....

Browns Fan. Indians Fan. Blue Jackets Fan. Can relate. 

(Only the Buckeyes give me some degree of certainty...)

• Like 1

I remember when I was a kid in New England wishing the Sox could win a world series and the Pats could have better than a 4 and 12 season.

EDIT- My point is not to brag, but tell everyone who picks on the Browns and other sports teams to cut it out and  that teams that may not be doing well now, to never give up. They may be the next champions.

Edited by atomcat68
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I remember when I was a kid in New England wishing the Sox could win a world series and the Pats could have better than a 4 and 12 season.

EDIT- My point is not to brag, but tell everyone who picks on the Browns and other sports teams to cut it out and  that teams that may not be doing well now, to never give up. They may be the next champions.

The Lions will never in my lifetime even MAKE it to the super bowl. 

At least every now and then the Tigers are good and the Red Wings are still an A+ organization. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

At least every now and then the Tigers are good and the Red Wings are still an A+ organization. 

Never say never, after all they did beat the Super bowl winner in the regular season. The pieces are in place, they just have to figure out how to use them.

32 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Never say never, after all they did beat the Super bowl winner in the regular season. The pieces are in place, they just have to figure out how to use them.

Hate to break it to you, but no they aren't. Its always 1 step forward 2 steps back with that team 

47 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There's very little good I can say about aging, but having a long memory is one positive thing.  I can still picture the front page of the Detroit News proudly stating "Lions win Championship!"  This was back in 1957.  The big, black, block letters took up the top 1/4 of the first page. 

Agree with you on the Red Wings, an A+ team.

1 minute ago, mackinaw said:

There's very little good I can say about aging, but having a long memory is one positive thing.  I can still picture the front page of the Detroit News proudly stating "Lions win Championship!"  This was back in 1957.  The big, black, block letters took up the top 1/4 of the first page. 

Agree with you on the Red Wings, an A+ team.

They’re rebuilding so they're not very good now but they should be back on the upswing sooner rather than later 

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re rebuilding so they're not very good now but they should be back on the upswing sooner rather than later 

Agreed.  They were the best team in the NHL for 10+ years, but that came at a price, no good, first round draft picks for several years.  I like some of the young guys they drafted recently.  It looks like they'll land a few more good picks this year too.  I think the future is bright for the Wings.

Yeah, I don't remember it being 23 pages yesterday.

---

It's crazy to look back at how different the market was in what we were discussing - with sedan volum and platforms and whatnot.

I also miss having RJ around with his input.  Though I do recall him getting more combative toward the end.

It's also funny that we were discussing how Lincoln would finally move away from a FWD big crossover, unlike Cadillac, and here we are with Cadillac creating just that.