• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Dave-S

Anyone install an oil catch can on the 1.5L engine?

I am not sure whether oil deposits on valves are still an issue or not on Ford's direct injected engines. Is so an oil catch can makes a lot of sense. If anyone has installed one of these catch cans, can you tell me which one you instilled and what installation tips you have? Things are awful tight under the engine cover so it looks like this might be a bit of a challenge.

Dave

Edited by Dave-S

Did you ever figure this out? I'd like to put one on my 2018 Escape 1.5L. I have the following visual aids but am still not 100% what everything is.

post-5912-0-03588700-1535471541_thumb.jpg

post-5912-0-14891600-1535471592_thumb.png

Edited by Jamers

You would have to put it in the 6A664B in your diagrams. The 6A664A is the fresh air inlet. The other is the oil drain from the valve cover separator.

1.5 intakes are ALWAYS full of oil, so it certainly wouldn't hurt, though I am not sold on how well they would help either. One of the big factors that you must consider though is that the 6A664A houses the crankcase vent sensor. Your modification must not alter the flow of air, or it can detect an issue. Primarily its there for open crankcase detection, but can also detect blockage.

Well I decided to go all in and buy the dual valve RX oil catch can kit from Tracy Lewis. He's gonna install it for free since I am local. I'll report back with an update this weekend. Also, they plan to make a video and post it to YouTube so I will share that as well for anyone wanting to see how it's all connected on the 1.5L.

And yes, coking on the back side of the valves is still a major problem with Ecoboost (or any Turbo GDI engine for that matter). It's even worst on the Turbo's and greatly shortened their useable lifespan. The 3.5L (Gen. 2) now in use in the F150's have dual injection (port and direct). This means the back side of the valves are misted with gas from time to time to reduce coking. This is only a bandaid and does nothing to help save the turbo's. The newer 3.5L is the only Ecoboost engine so far with dual injection.

The newer 3.5L is the only Ecoboost engine so far with dual injection.

The newest 2018 F150's 2.7EB is also now dual injection.

*All* engines will eventually be port and direct. It is NOT to keep the valves clean. They do it because port works better during certain operating conditions, and direct works well during others. A mix of the two fill in the gaps. It's all about making it cleaner, quieter and more efficient. The bonus is valve cleaning action during port operation.

*All* engines will eventually be port and direct. It is NOT to keep the valves clean. They do it because port works better during certain operating conditions, and direct works well during others.

Also, there are new (or will be soon be new) EPA/CARB regulations about particulate emissions from gasoline engines. DI produces a lot more than PI and they were endanger of having to install a particulate trap like they have on diesels.

I just installed an oil catch can in my 2014 1.5 Fusion. It’s only been a a day, and I’m road tripping it this weekend from Connecticut to Virginia and back so I’ll post if I find anything next week. Also I’ll try to post some pics and a diagram of the install if anyone is interested. And if anyone has any ideas on what I should change or maybe did wrong (?).