2015 Mustang Reviews?

Does anyone with common sense think that 4.4 seconds 0-60 and 12.8 second quarter mile is slow?

You don't understand - the failure to break the four-second barrier means that the new Mustang is obviously going to be the Edsel of 2105. Ford should just throw in the towel right now.

Ford didn't even use the Camaro as a base line to the Mustang did they? Didn't they bench it against BMW? Even if it is slower than the Camaro so what. You are getting a much better car overall. If you want it faster you can always bolt on S/C from Ford and then have all the fun you want at the strip.

Ford didn't even use the Camaro as a base line to the Mustang did they? Didn't they bench it against BMW? Even if it is slower than the Camaro so what. You are getting a much better car overall. If you want it faster you can always bolt on S/C from Ford and then have all the fun you want at the strip.

you do realize everyone is benchmarking just the std Mustang correct....dare I say argument over ala flat plane.........THAT is the car that should be compared to the SRT

I am curious to see what the car mags that we get in Germany will have to say about the new Mustang. I received my newest issue of "Auto Motor und Sport" today and they announced a first drive report for the next issue which will be out in two weeks.

Well, the 2015 Mustang is coming to late for me anyway, as I bought a 2014 Focus ST in July.

First I wanted to wait for the 2015 Mustang, but I wasn´t among the lucky 500 to be eligible for the first batch of Mustangs coming to Europe, so I figured I´d probably have to wait till mid of next year at least and I needed a new car sooner than that.

So when we took my wife´s 2012 Ford Kuga to the dealer to get the AC fixed we stumbled across a brand new, just delivered race red Focus ST and that was it.

My wife has already taken it to about 250 km/h on an unrestricted stretch of Autobahn twice, I haven´t been that lucky yet, having had to slow down at about 230 km/h on the Autobahn to Bamberg (Frankonia) due to traffic.

Maybe buyer´s remorse is going to hit me next year when I will be surely taking a test drive of the 2015 Mustan at my local Ford dealer, but taking a quick trip to Salzburg with my family in the Focus last week proved to me again that I couldn´t be happier with a car.

So, maybe I will buy a 2018 Mustang to replace the Focus, or maybe I will convince my mother to sell me that 1987 5.0 GT Convertible sitting in her garage, but one thing is for sure: There is a Mustang in my future.

• Like 1

I just feel expectations were perhaps a little too high for this car. People were jacked about this car given the combination of 1) 50th anniversary 2) new/heavily revised chassis including IRS 3) new exterior styling direction.

This Mustang model was akin to your favorite pin-up girl. Your imagination filled in all the blanks to your exact specifications as to what lay underneath. Perfection awaited us or so we lead ourselves to believe.

So for this car. the sky seemed to be the limit but reality reared its ugly head and we find Ford is constrained by both the law of physics & sound economics just as all other auto manufacturers are subject to. The Mustang is not one of the prime money makers for Ford so in actuality the sky was never in the picture. So development costs must be appropriately aligned and the manufacturing cost targeted to a competitive retail price.

My logical side tells me that certainly the car is an improvement over the prior model in many ways but my irrational side says this car is somehow initially disappointing (what? no weight loss, no 450HP base V8, not clearly faster than the old model, exterior styling that doesn't make Camaro fanbois curse their cars looks)

Its been said many times that among all Ford models the Mustang evokes the most passion and I think those emotions got carried away a bit in the form of unrealistic expectations.

But by god, I expect the next major Mustang update to be able to sprout Pegasus wings at my command and soar off into the wide blue yonder while shatting on every earth bound Camaros below me. :)

• Like 1

Here is the stupid part. If Ford had held back on the previous GT and only gave it 375 hp (which was still a big jump from the old 4.6L) then everyone would be raving about how great the 2015 is.

But because they went all out for max performance on the previous gen drivetrain which left them no room for additional improvements it is somehow a failure.

I suspect cost and performance were factors that prevented further weight reduction. Mustang doesn't have the volume or ATPs of the F150 to absorb that cost.

And let me remind everyone of 2 things: GT350, GT500

Are we nearing HP and straight-line performance limits for your "average" pony car? I mean, who really needs more than 435 ponies in your run of the mill Mustang GT? Sure, you have the GT350 and GT500 if you want more, but really, 4.6s (or whatever it is) to 60 is plenty quick. Time to focus on fuel economy and enough with the HP infatuation. At this point, every 10th of a second you knock off takes a huge jump in HP. Give us the goodies and fuel economy to go with those ponies and let the bench racers bi*ch all they want.

Also, I'm thinking that a GT w/just the track pack is going to be ~50-75 lbs lighter than a car w/premium sound and all the tech/interior upgrades tacked onto these models.

And I would think that ought to be worth a tenth of a second.

Not to mention that straight line performance was never an issue when comparing the previous gen. Mustang to the Camaro or BMWs.

Are we nearing HP and straight-line performance limits for your "average" pony car? I mean, who really needs more than 435 ponies in your run of the mill Mustang GT? Sure, you have the GT350 and GT500 if you want more, but really, 4.6s (or whatever it is) to 60 is plenty quick. Time to focus on fuel economy and enough with the HP infatuation. At this point, every 10th of a second you knock off takes a huge jump in HP. Give us the goodies and fuel economy to go with those ponies and let the bench racers bi*ch all they want.

That is what the 2.3EB is for. :) That will probably be my next car.

• Like 1

The other thing seems like lots of people are missing is that the car has a hell of a lot more refinement that the older generation car was lacking in. This will make the car more enjoyable for every day driving. The '15 handles just well as the Boss does and is roughy just as fast as the last gen Mustang. Given the fact the vast majority of buyers of this car will be hard pressed to get the max performance out of it, I'd wouldn't sweat it too much. A 12-13 second street car is faster then 85-90% of other cars on the road anyways.

I'm really curious to read some of the "expert" reviews once the GT with Track Pack gets head-to-head comparisons. Curious because it seemed somehow galling to the journalists that the Boss 302 and last-gen GT (with the antediluvian stick axle) were actually as good as they were. (I've been on a track twice in a Boss and can report that it's amazing.) We've read for years--decades--how inferior the Mustang is because of its rear axle choice. But now, Ford has "finally" put an IRS in the car, presumably placating journalists (and, yes, making a better car) and I'm really curious how they will react with more time behind the wheel. That two of the better-known auto mags reached completely different opinions about the handling of exactly the same car, you could obviously deduce that these journalists' opinions are of little merit. But, they drive a whole lot more and different cars than I do, so I am reluctant to dismiss their opinions out of hand automatically. What I'm left to wonder, though, is if the reality of the situation is that, without, say, a BMW M3, to compare, say, a specific bump on a specific corner of a specific street driven at 9/10's of the car's capability, if you really CAN'T tell much of a difference between a solid or independent rear suspension--especially one that had been developed to within an inch of its life like the last gen Mustang. I mean, having watched 911's with ridiculous amounts of axle hop under hard acceleration from rest, I don't think IRS by itself is a panacea for all driving circumstances.

Beat me to it, I just read their review.

Yeah, they're completely chuffed by it, especially the GT versions they tested.

I'm just dying to read the upcoming comparisons, and tests of the various specialty models to follow. I may have my next new vehicle purchase figured out.

I keep telling myself that, but as I'm readjusting my son's crib as we speak, I'm reminded that it's another one of those things that will have to wait.

Hopefully not long.

I think Autoblog gets it.....The mustang didn't really have a performance problem, especially with the subsequent special editions that will be released to address performance. It most definitely had a refinement problem and it sounds as if the 2015 goes a long way to remedy that issue. Looking forward to a test drive.