Ford Motor Company August 2014 Sales Results

atomcat68

Cruze LS has less standard equipment than Focus SE so of course it is cheaper... that's shouldn't be a surprise. Also, the numbers were rigged with Cruze LS showing MSRP and Focus showing MSRP + destination charge.

Here is an apples to apples comparison with base MSRP before destination charge

Focus S $16,810 ~ Cruze LS $17,520 ~ Civic n/a ~ Corolla L $16,900 ~ Jetta S $16,895

Focus SE $18,615 ~ Cruze LT $18,815 ~ Civic LX $18,390 ~ Corolla LE $18,515 ~ Jetta SE $18,895

Focus Titanium $23,565 ~ Cruze LTZ $23,805 ~ Civic EX-L $22,740 ~ Corolla S Premium $22,905 ~ Jetta SEL $25,925

Focus SE SFE $19,315 (auto only) ~ Cruze Eco $19,935 (manual) ~ Civic HF $19,940 ~ Corolla LE Eco $18,915 ~ Jetta TDI Value $21,295

Edited by bzcat

Cruze LS has less standard equipment than Focus SE so of course it is cheaper... that's shouldn't be a surprise. Also, the numbers were rigged with Cruze LS showing MSRP and Focus showing MSRP + destination charge.

Here is an apples to apples comparison with base MSRP before destination charge

Focus S $16,810 ~ Cruze LS $17,520 ~ Civic n/a ~ Corolla L $16,900 ~ Jetta S $16,895

Focus SE $18,615 ~ Cruze LT $18,815 ~ Civic LX $18,390 ~ Corolla LE $18,515 ~ Jetta SE $18,895

Focus Titanium $23,565 ~ Cruze LTZ $23,805 ~ Civic EX-L $22,740 ~ Corolla S Premium $22,905 ~ Jetta SEL $25,925

Focus SE SFE $19,315 (auto only) ~ Cruze Eco $19,935 (manual) ~ Civic HF $19,940 ~ Corolla LE Eco $18,915 ~ Jetta TDI Value $21,295

I stand corrected on the MSRP, but Cruze has $2K incentives while Focus only has $1K. Cruze lease is $700 less down and $4/less per month. Not to mention Chevy is marketing to sub-prime credit buyers that Ford won't touch.

GM and the Italian company masquerading as an American Company is putting massive incentives on their products. GM also has more inventory on the ground and capacity to produce more. The Italian company is just flat insane with incentives. Most dealers will run completely out of FSeries if they matched GM and the Italians...We don't have near enough 14 trucks.

Edited by ironhorse
  • Like 1

Acura sales were down 9% and Infinity down 23%. Lincoln sales are not too bad considering these numbers. If Lincoln could gain more traction, they have a shot at passing up Infinity some time in the future at least on a monthly basis. The current difference for the year is about 16,500 units.

Edited by RichardK

September 2, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Some fear that auto industry is returning to bad habits

Discounts, amount of low credit score loans rise as sales slow

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140902/AUTO01/309020113#ixzz3CSIe9ucR[/size]

“It just seems like 2007 all over again,” said veteran Toyota dealer Earl Stewart of North Palm Beach, Florida. “The credit ease with which people are financed is as liberal and loose as it ever was.”

Among the numbers that concern some experts:

■$2,702: Average discount per new car through July. They’re heaviest in two segments: Midsize cars (up almost 21 percent through July) and compacts (up 10 percent). Automakers need to move the cars because a lot of factory space is committed to building them.

■12.7 percent: The year-over-year increase last quarter in auto loans to “Deep Subprime” buyers — those with credit scores lower than 550. Loans to “subprime” buyers (credit score lower than 620) rose 5.3 percent, according to Experian. Combined, both are just over 12 percent of all auto loans. Those with lower credit scores generally have a higher default risk.

■32 percent: Percentage of auto loans that are 72 months or longer, up from 23 percent in 2008, according to LMC Automotive. Longer loans keep buyers out of the market because it takes longer to build equity for a trade-in.

■26 percent: Percentage of sales that are leases, up from 18 percent in 2008, according to LMC. A flood of expiring leases in three years could depress used-car prices, hurting new car sales.

■70 percent: The increase last quarter in auto repossessions, according to Experian Automotive. Sixty-day delinquencies are up 7 percent. Still, both are below 1 percent of all auto loans.

Karl Brauer, senior analyst for Kelley Blue Book, sees trouble in the juicy discounts. In 2007, spending on incentives was just under 9 percent of the average sales price for a vehicle. That dropped to around 8 percent in 2012 and 2013. It’s back up to 8.4 percent and likely will rise toward 9 percent later in the year, he says.

Based on an average sales price of just over $32,000, the additional discounts would cost the industry almost $5.2 billion per year.

“This was the trap that got everyone in trouble before the recession,” Brauer says.

I stand corrected on the MSRP, but Cruze has $2K incentives while Focus only has $1K. Cruze lease is $700 less down and $4/less per month. Not to mention Chevy is marketing to sub-prime credit buyers that Ford won't touch.

?, Focus is $1500 WITH 0% or 3500 with regular rates...unless your region is different than So Cal of course. If you are pertaining to 2015 models, they havent even hit yet.

Edited by Deanh

Well that's strange. I do see the $3K now on the X plan main site and dealer inventory search. But when I do a build and price for the same zip code under X plan it only shows $1K.

I give up.

imagine what I have to put up with ?....just sold 16 units to a company, mixture of Focii, Transit Connects and one 12 passenger Transit, all had subveened rates, 0.0, 0.9, 1.9. Unbeknownst to me, even when the rates were different, the PROGRAM was the same, so I got hit with a curveball referred to as Rule of 10. ( in a nutshell only 10 units can be purchased by a single entity utilizing a single program ) so now I have to re-contract, give rebates and re-write at regular interest rates ( in this case level 1 commercial is 6.29% ).....talk about a mind----- ( fill in blank............ )

Well that's strange. I do see the $3K now on the X plan main site and dealer inventory search. But when I do a build and price for the same zip code under X plan it only shows $1K.

I give up.

lol, I was told all the programs are to keep consumers confused...true story....but simplicity is not one of Fords stronger points...google 2015 Transit full size towing specs, I TOO give up...

Rental firms don't buy plain Focus or Fusion S models anymore. They get well equipped SE's or even SE's with leather.

The S models are still around to compete on base price, and for dealers to say 'we got them at 15999!'. Honda dumped the Civic DX, but the LX still has plastic wheel covers. Nissan still has plain Sentras, and Cruze LS is sold with no cruise control and pie pan hubcaps.

The Civic LX has essentially replaced the old DX. At the top of the regular Civic (non-Si) line, Honda has added the EX-L, which adds leather upholstery, along with larger (17 inch) and unique alloy wheels. This is what Chevrolet and Ford regularly did in the 1960s - a new top-of-the-line version would appear, and knock everything else down a rung on the price/prestige ladder.

Edited by grbeck

Good luck finding a S model. Those are rental car specials. In the greater Atlanta metro area there are a few thousand Focii and only 6 S models.

That's surprising, I see a bunch of them coming down the line. I wonder if a majority of them are for export to Canada or Mexico (I don't see that information on door line)

Ah yes.

The SS.

The SS.

"You don't understand. The GTO didn't sell because it's a coupe. Nobody buys coupes anymore."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because Pontiac didn't spend enough money advertising it."

"You don't understand. The G8 didn't sell because it was a Pontiac. It should've been a Chevrolet."

So---- I'm guessing we're due for:

"You don't understand. The SS didn't sell because Chevrolet didn't spend enough money advertising it."

"The SS needs a manual transmission, then it will sell to all the 'guys I know' who want one!"

Well, have at it then! Put $ where mouth is.

Edited by 630land

Black door handles and mirrors are first clue it's a Focus S, and the pie pans. Fusion S at least looks richer, and has fairly nice wheel covers.

But there are business fleets that want cheap as cheap.

I am thinking the refreshed '15 Focus will have no S model, or will at least add rear power windows.

Black door handles and mirrors are first clue it's a Focus S, and the pie pans. Fusion S at least looks richer, and has fairly nice wheel covers.

But there are business fleets that want cheap as cheap.

I am thinking the refreshed '15 Focus will have no S model, or will at least add rear power windows.

dont forget power windows only in the front...( Focus S )

The Civic LX has essentially replaced the old DX. At the top of the regular Civic (non-Si) line, Honda has added the EX-L, which adds leather upholstery, along with larger (17 inch) and unique alloy wheels. This is what Chevrolet and Ford regularly did in the 1960s - a new top-of-the-line version would appear, and knock everything else down a rung on the price/prestige ladder.

EX-L is not new, it's been around since the early 1990s when Honda first started offering leather seats on Civic. Since Honda doesn't do options, EX-L is just EX with leather seats.

LX hasn't been de-contented to DX level either. Honda just decided to not engage in bottom feeding anymore.

Also, remember, there was a Civic base or Civic CX below DX before as well - it came without radio and only left side exterior side mirror. Hard to imagine it something like that attracting any buyers today but bottom feeding is still alive at VW... you can buy a Jetta base (below Jetta S) without air condition or radio.

Edited by bzcat