Ford Motor Company August 2014 Sales Results

atomcat68

Explorer is thundering along, I wonder if Ford is planning upgraded engines, something like 2.3 EB or 2.7 EB would add even more sales.

I'd hope if Ford continues to offer a 4 cylinder Explorer they would replace the 2.0 EB with the 2.3 EB at the soonest opportunity. As the owner of an Explorer with a standard 3.5 V6 which has "just enough" power for the size and weight of the vehicle the 2.0 has to be underpowered out in the real world. That's a lot of size and weight empty... then load it up... the 2.0 has to be wheezing hard under load.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'd hope if Ford continues to offer a 4 cylinder Explorer they would replace the 2.0 EB with the 2.3 EB at the soonest opportunity. As the owner of an Explorer with a standard 3.5 V6 which has "just enough" power for the size and weight of the vehicle the 2.0 has to be underpowered out in the real world. That's a lot of size and weight empty... then load it up... the 2.0 has to be wheezing hard under load.

Thats the one thing I never got...the 2L Ecoboost offers roughly the same performance numbers as the old 4L V6 Explorer did, but no one bitched about how under powered it was.

You have a point about loading it, but for the most part, I'd venture to say that 70-80% or better of the time, vehicles are driven with just the driver and no load.

Thats the one thing I never got...the 2L Ecoboost offers roughly the same performance numbers as the old 4L V6 Explorer did, but no one bitched about how under powered it was.

You have a point about loading it, but for the most part, I'd venture to say that 70-80% or better of the time, vehicles are driven with just the driver and no load.

The early 4.0L OHV V6s only had 160 hp - WAY less than the current 2.0L EB.

I have driven both 3.5 and 2.0T Explorer extensively as we have them in our company fleet. The 2.0EB is definitely more lively one with more usable passing power due to the flat torque curve. People who thinks 2.0EB is "wheezing" in the Explorer has obviously never driven one. It's definitely the better engine choice than the 3.5 if you don't need AWD.

If Ford made the 2.3EB available in the Explorer, then it's nights out for the 3.5.

It ain't 20 years ago any more.

• Like 1

The Lincoln MKC looks more substansial than the Caddy SRX, which to me is like a Chevy Eq'nox with Cad trim on it.

I think GM actually did good job of differentiating the Equinox from the SRX when it comes to exterior styling.

The problem is that the Equinox is the more attractive design. The SRX is too stubby, and the front looks overly massive.

And does the SRX compete with the Lincoln MKC or MKX? I thought it was the latter.

EX-L is not new, it's been around since the early 1990s when Honda first started offering leather seats on Civic. Since Honda doesn't do options, EX-L is just EX with leather seats.

LX hasn't been de-contented to DX level either. Honda just decided to not engage in bottom feeding anymore.

Also, remember, there was a Civic base or Civic CX below DX before as well - it came without radio and only left side exterior side mirror. Hard to imagine it something like that attracting any buyers today but bottom feeding is still alive at VW... you can buy a Jetta base (below Jetta S) without air condition or radio.

The new Honda EX-L also features different wheels and larger tires than a regular EX, which is a big deal for a Honda. In Honda-speak, that practically makes it a separate trim line!

I don't remember the 1990s Civics having even optional leather seats. Was this part of a special edition package? During the 1980s, Honda began offering "Special Edition" Accords with standard leather seats. This model was generally offered in the final year of that body style, to help stimulate sales of the Accord before the new version appeared.

I think GM actually did good job of differentiating the Equinox from the SRX when it comes to exterior styling.

The problem is that the Equinox is the more attractive design. The SRX is too stubby, and the front looks overly massive.

And does the SRX compete with the Lincoln MKC or MKX? I thought it was the latter.

SRX is midsize and competes with other 5 seat midsize luxury SUVs like MKX and Lexus RX etc.

The new Honda EX-L also features different wheels and larger tires than a regular EX, which is a big deal for a Honda. In Honda-speak, that practically makes it a separate trim line!

I don't remember the 1990s Civics having even optional leather seats. Was this part of a special edition package? During the 1980s, Honda began offering "Special Edition" Accords with standard leather seats. This model was generally offered in the final year of that body style, to help stimulate sales of the Accord before the new version appeared.

My grandmother had a 1994 Civic EX-L coupe. It was a regular trim level but it was "hidden" trim level because they were just badged as EX but came with leather seats. Honda didn't (and still doesn't) do options in the US so the window sticker says "1994 Honda Civic EX-L".

SE Accord has always been end of the model run special. They are always standard LX trim level plus leather and special wheels and priced between LX and EX.

the Equinox and SRX are on different platforms.

Not really the Equinox and SRX are on the same platform...one is just a premium version of the platform...they aren't completely different, say in the case of the Focus and Fusion.

That would be like calling the MKC the C1 Premium platform, since the Focus and Escape are built on a similar platforms.

The Impala and Silverado are pretty different too.

Like the Impala and Silverado, the Equinox and SRX are on different platforms.

As silversvt said, they share the same basic platform. The SRX is the "premium" version of the platform. They are not based on entirely different platforms.

SRX happens to be Cadillacs biggest lemon. I have a friend who heads their service center and 6-7 of every 1o cars there at any time is an SRX. The XTS is not that far behind.

The SRX has also been one of the Cadillac's biggest sellers - if not the biggest seller - over the past few years, too.

SRX and Equinox are on the same Theta II platform, for now. The next generation may or may not stay that way.

SRX is assembled on the same line as Chevy Captiva (another Theta II vehicle) in Mexico, and GM plants are not flex like Ford plant so all the cars have to be on the same platform and more or less identical under the skin to share an assembly line. GM is moving the 2016 SRX from Mexico to Spring Hills, TN so that suggests GM is definitely making major changes in its CUV platforms and production sites.

If GM decides to shrink the Equinox from midsize to compact and cancel Captiva, it will go on the new Delta III platform (Buick Enivision); while the SRX will stay midsize and will probably use a version of midsize Epsilon III platform.

If GM decides to keep Equinox midisze (and Captiva compact), then Equinox will stay paired with SRX.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

SRX and Equinox are on the same Theta II platform, for now. The next generation may or may not stay that way.

SRX is assembled on the same line as Chevy Captiva (another Theta II vehicle) in Mexico, and GM plants are not flex like Ford plant so all the cars have to be on the same platform and more or less identical under the skin to share an assembly line. GM is moving the 2016 SRX from Mexico to Spring Hills, TN so that suggests GM is definitely making major changes in its CUV platforms and production sites.

If GM decides to shrink the Equinox from midsize to compact and cancel Captiva, it will go on the new Delta III platform (Buick Enivision); while the SRX will stay midsize and will probably use a version of midsize Epsilon III platform.

If GM decides to keep Equinox midisze (and Captiva compact), then Equinox will stay paired with SRX.

Lets not forget about Caddy thinking about doing a RWD mid-size CUV also.

The Equinox is too small for a mid-size and too big for a compact CUV...its a tweener...

The EX-L dates back to at least the 2006. Most average compacts didn't have lether before then.

And then there is the EX-L with NAVI upper trim. Costs $2000 some more, but a local dealer has unsold 2013's of these.

Lets not forget about Caddy thinking about doing a RWD mid-size CUV also.

The Equinox is too small for a mid-size and too big for a compact CUV...its a tweener...

Equinox and Terrain are longer than some midsize CUVs in both length and wheelbase so not really a tweener. I wouldn't call it compact for sure. GM price it like a compact but they are just leaving money on the table (in my opinion).

Ford Edge

Wheelbase 111.2"

Length 184.2"

Kia Sorento

Wheelbase 106.3"

Length 184.4"

Hyundai Santa Fe (5 seat version)

Wheelbase 106.3"

Length 184.6"

Chevy Equinox

Wheelbase 112.5"

Length 187.8"

Lexus RX

Wheelbase 107.9"

Length 187.8"

Toyota Venza

Wheelbase 109.3"

Length 189"

Honda Pilot

Wheelbase 109.2"

Length 190.9"

Edited by bzcat

Equinox and Terrain are longer than some midsize CUVs in both length and wheelbase so not really a tweener. I wouldn't call it compact for sure. GM price it like a compact but they are just leaving money on the table (in my opinion).

Ford Edge

Wheelbase 111.2"

Length 184.2"

Chevy Equinox

Wheelbase 112.5"

Length 187.8"

The Equinox is longer than the Edge? Didn't realize that....granted, it's 3-4 inches but still.