Ford cancels MKS V-8

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that isn't too unexpected, but this adds fuel to the fire that we'll see a twin turbo 3.5L V6 in its place.

The other thing is that this also means that MKS will not be Lincoln's flagship car (it will be if the TC goes away by default, but recent news has suggested that the TC will goto STAP)...and if it is, someone needs to be shot..

Edited by silvrsvt

Well that isn't too unexpected, but this adds fuel to the fire that we'll see a twin turbo 3.5L V6 in its place.

The other thing is that this also means that MKS will not be Lincoln's flagship car (it will be if the TC goes away by default, but recent news has suggested that the TC will goto STAP)...and if it is, someone needs

The 4.4 has been cancelled for some time now. This is old news. The 3.5 twin turbo mule has been around for a good bit as well in an F-150. Packaging and production components have been approved.

Edited by Blue II

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this. The obvious reaction would be that if the Town Car's demise is indeed fact, that for the first time in history, there will be no Lincoln V8 offerings in their car lineup. It's almost reminiscent of Acura's failed V6-only RL flagship in more ways that one. However, there are advantages:

-If the V8 offering was only going to produce 315hp anyway, it would have been pointless. The new Duratec 35 V6 could easily beat that in performance with a little tuning, without even talking about turbos.

-The Twin Turbo V6 would give the uplevel MKS some distinction among luxury sedans, especially if they can produce 350-400hp from the motor with the turbos and direct-injection, and still get great fuel mileage with it. Certainly would beat the heck out of the 15mpg V8 offerings in the E550 and 550i, and still show its taillights to any Lincoln before.

-If it means they can keep pricing low. If a top of the line MKS doesn't break 50k with a twin-turbo engine, then we're really in business, V8 be damned.

-It will give the rumored sedan slotting above the MKS some distinction.

Is Ford truly serious about twin-turbos on a 3.5 V6? It just seems a little out of character for Ford to be developing such a powertrain...for production. Granted that many of the younger adults will possibly admire the same notion that inspires them to appreciate Mitsubishi Evos and Subaru WRX STi's. Still, its a bit odd to hear of such a direction for Ford to take and especially so on a prominent Lincoln sedan. I guess the same engine could make its way into the Fusion or Five-Hundred as a SVT model or simliar but I'm second-guessing Fords intent to buck the trend and do something like skip a V8 and do a forced induction V6 for the premier engine offering. With AWD and twin-turbos, it sounds like it will be appealing to some but I wonder if it will be limited to only a small fraction of potential buyers? Should be interesting to see the outcome.

I think it only reaffirms the need for a RWD V8 platform. Maybe Ford wants to align Town Car with the other Panthers, do a substantial cosmetic overhaul and see where that takes them.

Only aligning the Panthers appear to be doing is fighting over which one will get cancelled first. :doh:

Nick .. as muchas that idea was out of this world, remember that there is nothing set under the current managemet.. they might just do something like that.

Igor

Just another gimick... this is taking Lincoln down to compete with Acura. This move reminds me of what Chrysler did in the early 1980s. No V-6 so we turbocharge the four cylinder. Toward the middle of the decade that act got old. This is merly Ford playing smoke and mirrors again by trying to cut corners and save a few bucks :shrug:

thats probably one of the stupidist things Ford could possibly do to that car.

Let me see, the Volvo couldnt and cant move their full size cars without a V8 and Ford thinks Lincoln can?

Not only this but you cancel engine plans so it pushes multiple models further back in powertrain development.....

They shouldnt even produce the MKS or anything above it at all. Give up...lay down and forget about a full size Lincoln until they can produce a true full size Lincoln.

Im all for Trubo 6's but its just not the right kind of car for one. The MKz yes, the MKs...no

There is a new V-8 coming out soon (will have news this week) - it might find itself in the MXS.

This was hinted at by a FoMoCo regular on AW's board...and he clammed up hard when asked about it.

C'mon Robert...look at the name of your site, and give some of us bleed-Ford-blue types something BESIDES the slew of recent bad news!

Ford serioulsy need to learn the power of potential POSITIVE buzz. We've seen the little BOLD MOVES clips, we've read a dozen debt-rating-cut headlines, and we've been pummelled with "old product" and "lowest economy" news forever.

We could use some more o' the good stuff.

-If the V8 offering was only going to produce 315hp anyway, it would have been pointless. The new Duratec 35 V6 could easily beat that in performance with a little tuning, without even talking about turbos.

Exactly. Although the 3.5L V6 won't ever match the V8 in peak torque without forced induction. Now if they grew it to a 4L V6, then maybe it would be pretty darn close. And that may well happen where CUVs are concerned. Although there's no reason you can't put the turbo 6 in the CUV too.

-The Twin Turbo V6 would give the uplevel MKS some distinction among luxury sedans, especially if they can produce 350-400hp from the motor with the turbos and direct-injection, and still get great fuel mileage with it. Certainly would beat the heck out of the 15mpg V8 offerings in the E550 and 550i, and still show its taillights to any Lincoln before.

I expect 350hp or so and that will be good to compete with the competition for now. However, keep in mind the 5 series gets the new I6 turbo for MY08 and also there is a new ~4.4L turbo V8 rumored to be coming by end of decade. But if anything this will put Ford in good company. BMW has been the traditional champion for naturally aspirated motors, and even they see that forced induction is the way of the future (except for their M cars).

Well Acrua is doing soooooooooo well with their 50k V6 car :finger:

I can't believe that they just cant bring in the engines directly from the same exact plant Volvo is getting them from. Why the hell would they build them in yet another place anyway, of course its too much to do it that way.

Then again, BMW has found suckers for cars up to and over 70k for a 6cyl for years so who knows.

Edited by kevinb120

There is a new V-8 coming out soon (will have news this week) - it might find itself in the MXS.

Interesting if true.

This would be the third new V8 family coming then, the other two being the Hurricane and the new light-truck diesel. Perhaps they will build a 60 degree V8 out of the Duratec 35, similar to how the LR diesel V8 (and the upcoming Ford version just mentioned) is a 60 degree V8 based on 2.7L PSA-Ford V6. Or very similar to the old Yamaha V8 in the SHO for that matter. That would give them a compact 4.7L V8 which would potentially benefit from the direct injection and turbocharging development that is coming for the 3.5L V6. I think that would shut everyone up pretty quick. :D

Then again, BMW has found suckers for cars up to and over 70k for a 6cyl for years so who knows.

Hey don't stop there. People are paying $150,000 for 6 cyl Porsches. Suckers! :) And check out Lotus chargin 60k for a 4 cyl Toyota powered Exige. Its robbery, I'm telling you. ;)

The thing is, some People don't really care how many cylinders the car has as long as its fast and nimble. I'll take a 6 cyliner car that can handle the twisties andy day over a V8 powered one that can't. :)

Well, first of all, we don't know that the V8 is dead.

Assuming that it was, though:

1) lower price

2) better looks

3) better equipment, the Acura RL, I believe either has fake wood trim in it, or it is the first Acura to have real wood.

4) different audience (Lincoln = luxury buyers, Acura = performance buyers).

--checked the website---

Yep the RL has real wood. But geez, $50k base price? What ARE they thinking? It's a Honda Accord for cryin' out loud.

MKS will start 'round where the MKZ stops.

Edited by RichardJensen

Hey don't stop there. People are paying $150,000 for 6 cyl Porsches. Suckers! :) And check out Lotus chargin 60k for a 4 cyl Toyota powered Exige. Its robbery, I'm telling you. ;)

The thing is, some People don't really care how many cylinders the car has as long as its fast and nimble. I'll take a 6 cyliner car that can handle the twisties andy day over a V8 powered one that can't. :)

Sadly, the MKS is headed for a market where there are competitors with both V8s and twisties-capability.

V-6 + AWD Luxury Car = Acura RL = Failure

How is Lincoln going to change the outcome of their equation?

RL is 50k vbase, has only D35 level powertrain, and buyers complain of lack of interior sapce.

MKS is not going to light sales charts on fire, but it is a rational car to bring..

besides .. with opytional 360 engine, smaller and lighter body, yet more interior space, and lower sticker, this car will be very different from the RL..

Igor

If they've got something else to bring that will capture the imagination of potential buyers - some really hot powertrain like the twin turbo that has been mentioned around here (even if it's only available as an option), that will make the Lincoln stand out from a performance and technology standpoint, then I can approach this news with an open mind.

If this amounts to nothing more than half-assing yet another launch because they just ran out of corporate steam, and hoping nobody will notice or care ....... then, they may as well just call in Dr. Kevorkian and put the brand out of its misery. I love Lincoln. Always have. But please, don't let it sit there in its "Depends", trembling hands, quavering voice, trying to remember its own name. Lincoln doesn't deserve such an undignified end.