Ford cancels MKS V-8

The current BMW V8 N/A is making 340-400hp. There is no way they would TT it to under those numbers now. A TT BMW V8 is going to be in the 450-500hp neighborhood.

Pardon me?

The current BMW 4.8L V8 (found in the 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, and 2007 X5) makes 360hp (less in the X5).

The new 3.0L N54 light pressure turbo is making 300ft-lb, 300hp. This is 28hp more than the N53 HPI motor used outside north America, and 35hp more than the N52 Valvetronic (at its highest level of tune). Than is only about 10% more power. They are using a conservative tune. Remember these are _light pressure turbos_ along the lines of Volvo and Saab. Fuel economy, durability, driveability come first.

Yes, BMW (or anyone) could easily build a turbo charged V8 making 500hp, or well more than that. But they will not do that any time soon, if ever.

Finally, if you go back to read the originally quote to which I refered, you'll see that I was talking about the benchmark for Lexus, Mercedes, BMW (the class leaders in powertrain). So 380hp will indeed be where the bar is set (based on the Lexus 4.6L), regardless of where the BMW V8 comes in.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's what they're talking about, but I'm only batting .500 for the day :shrug:

"Specially tuned runners" are the intake tracts from the plenum of the intake manifold which are of such size and length and shape (funneling down to the intake ports of the head) that they have a ramming effect on the intake charge using the harmonics of the valve events in the head...they push a little more air/fuel mix into the combustion chamber than would go in if using a simple tube for an intake tract. Again, the "Specially tuned runners" are the tracts leading from the intake manifold's plenum to the heads' intake ports.

"Dual stage plenum" is a chamber in the intake manifold that holds the air that feeds through the runners. A "Dual stage plenum" is one that can be resized. A larger plenum can supply more air at higher rpms, a small chamber gives the intake charge more speed at lower rpms. You want the intake charge moving as quickly as possible under all circumstances. No one has come out with a CVT-type plenum yet, so they're making due with the powerglide (2 speed) version for now. A dual stage plenum can either be one that opens a door into an attached area of the small plenum to enlarge it, or it can incorporate a set of long runners into the plenum area like the old BXR manifolds.

"Dual tract intake runners" are just that. There are two intake runners feeding each cylinder. At low rpms, only one tract is opened (with butterflies usually, ala` SHO). At higher rpms both butterflies open. This keeps the intake charge's speed up.

...and then there are the combination of one, two or all of the above...

With "Dual tract intake runners" you have 8 extra butterflies and the parts to move and control them. With "Dual stage plenum" you have 1 extra "butterfly" and the parts needed to move it. With "Specially tuned runners" you have no additional moving parts (usually).

VVT affects the intake valves, in the heads (lots of parts). Not the intake manifold.

Want to talk about dual stage exhausts?

Edited by Sizzler

"Dual tract intake runners" are just that. There are two intake runners feeding each cylinder. At low rpms, only one tract is opened (with butterflies usually, ala` SHO). At higher rpms both butterflies open. This keeps the intake charge's speed up.

With "Dual tract intake runners" you have 8 extra butterflies and the parts to move and control them. With "Dual stage plenum" you have 1 extra "butterfly" and the parts needed to move it. With "Specially tuned runners" you have no additional moving parts (usually).

That's basically the difference between the Intake Manfifold Runner Control (IMRC) plates on the 96-98 4.6 4-valves and the 4.6 3-valve's Charge Motion Control Valves or whatever they are calling them now.

Both do the job, but the newer design certainly seems more efficient.

I gotta say though, I do like the feel I get @ 3250 RPM when the IMRC plates open on my Cobra. :happy feet:

"Specially tuned runners" are the intake tracts from the plenum of the intake manifold which are of such size and length and shape (funneling down to the intake ports of the head) that they have a ramming effect on the intake charge using the harmonics of the valve events in the head...they push a little more air/fuel mix into the combustion chamber than would go in if using a simple tube for an intake tract. Again, the "Specially tuned runners" are the tracts leading from the intake manifold's plenum to the heads' intake ports.

"Dual stage plenum" is a chamber in the intake manifold that holds the air that feeds through the runners. A "Dual stage plenum" is one that can be resized. A larger plenum can supply more air at higher rpms, a small chamber gives the intake charge more speed at lower rpms. You want the intake charge moving as quickly as possible under all circumstances. No one has come out with a CVT-type plenum yet, so they're making due with the powerglide (2 speed) version for now. A dual stage plenum can either be one that opens a door into an attached area of the small plenum to enlarge it, or it can incorporate a set of long runners into the plenum area like the old BXR manifolds.

VVT affects the intake valves, in the heads (lots of parts). Not the intake manifold.

Want to talk about dual stage exhausts?

Understood.

So my question is: Which of these touque curve enhancers is used on the 3.5?

Understood.

So my question is: Which of these touque curve enhancers is used on the 3.5?

Ford Article on 3.5l

This sort of gets back to a post I made on another thread. No one gives out details about engines anymore. It seems that no one cares about DETAILS other than PEAK HP and displacement. Even Ford's own engineer in the above article had no details to offer.

I would guess, looking at the pretty picture, that it's tuned runners (they look long), maybe a staged plenum.

Later, VVT, and turbos. Just guessing though, given the lack of information provided by Ford.