Drive your car off the line program

Red2002

Though not as glamorous as a trip to Germany to drive your Mercedes or BMW off the line and then stick on the boat home, I have to believe there are some car nuts like me out there that would pay a little extra fee to drive their vehicle off the line and put every inch on the vehicle themselves.

I would love to drive down to KY and drive my new Expedition off the line. I have to believe there are some Mustang buyers out there that would love to do the same.

Corvette does it in Bowling Green . . .

• Like 2

I would have done that for my Escape!

One of the coolest things at the BMW complex in Munich was watching people take delivery of cars practically off the line. One of my coworkers did it for Porsche and I think flying over and trying it out on the autobahn was just as exciting for him as actually getting the new car.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Even if not off the line, the option to pick it up at the factory instead of "awaiting shipment" and "in transit" for 28 days would be nice.

The average transit time is 14 days nationwide once a vehicle leaves the plant not counting delays at the plant itself. The worst plant for delays is the Flat Rock Assembly Plant. As for taking delivery at the plant, not even Dealers can pick up vehicles at the plant with the exception of the Transits which is new in the last month or so because of the problems shipping them and the extensive backlog of vehicles at the Transit plant.

• 2 months later...