Google's Brin: Individual car ownership needs to go

mettech

Autoline Daily about this subject plus interesting info about LED lights.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=32274

I don't use my F-350 but for a few times each quarter to tow our fifth wheel RV and maybe twice/month to haul stuff.

I would be interested in "renting" a truck only when I need it and maybe a lux car on long trips or for special events.

If I could "order/request" an autonomous car to show up in my drive at a scheduled time or with a 30min advance time.. I might be swayed to buy into this program.

Maybe today I would like to have a sport sedan and tomorrow a van...

If you're familiar with the mass migration of the people of West Virginia, Ohio, VA and NC to Myrtle Beach every summer (esp Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day), you can imagine the hole it would leave in such a community property as shared cars.

I'm familiar with the same flow of people making a complete mess of Annapolis traffic on their way to the Maryland and Delaware shores.

Autoline Daily about this subject plus interesting info about LED lights.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=32274

I don't use my F-350 but for a few times each quarter to tow our fifth wheel RV and maybe twice/month to haul stuff.

I would be interested in "renting" a truck only when I need it and maybe a lux car on long trips or for special events.

If I could "order/request" an autonomous car to show up in my drive at a scheduled time or with a 30min advance time.. I might be swayed to buy into this program.

Maybe today I would like to have a sport sedan and tomorrow a van...

It would be convenient in some instances for sure. But only really to augment existing owned vehicles for most people, not to replace them.

How many situations can one think of that doesn't afford a 30-minute advance time?

Any emergency. And just one of those is enough to warrant me having my own vehicle.

And I actually take pride in my vehicles. Publicly shared vehicles are going to be mistreated piles of garbage in no time. Have you seen what the seats of cabs and buses look like??

This won't be an either / or situation, cars will just slowly transition to autonomous operation in certain situations.

You have to connect the benefits to the person paying for them. The idea of shared anything appeals to internet people that think everything should be free (to themselves). In the real world autonomous cars will benefit who ever is sitting in the car, and most likely that is going to be paid for by the same person.

How much do you want to bet that those in power and / or influence would be able to retain private ownership if it was decided that private ownership was deemed unacceptable and inefficient? It always seems to be a "do as I say not as I do" proposition.

Or it will be the way fuel was rationed during WWII.

Those of privilege or power will get the magic "X" and the rest will be "A" cars.

How many situations can one think of that doesn't afford a 30-minute advance time?

So then all spur of the the moment trips to the store or out to eat, or anywhere become "oh Iet's go here....but we have to wait 30 minutes to go for the car to get here."

And then now everyone would have to plan every part of their day 30 minutes ahead of time to allow for the autonomous car to pick them up? "Oh so at 2:30 I want to go to the store, I need to order the car by 2:00." Just seems like a very inconvenient situation, unless you're in a large city, where parking and such isn't very easy.

Also, how would this be cheaper than owning a car?

If you don't use your car every day, then I could see it. However, if you already use your car every day to get to work, and would still need to under this system, then you will be paying for all that insurance, taxes, maintenance, and depreciation indirectly anyway, so there really wouldn't be any savings. Basically, if you could already use public transportation to get to work, this would be a great system for you. If not, then, well, there is no point. Rural areas? Pffft, don't bother.

Insurance, taxes, maintenance and depreciation cost would (should) only be applied during your utilization period and shared with others during the remaining 24hrs/day.

1) Insurance and taxes are fractional aspects of TCO

2) commercial taxes are considerably higher than non-commercial taxes, thus invalidating a significant portion of that 'savings'

3) the company providing this service--it will be doing so out of pure generosity, and will not be insisting on turning a profit on the service? And if there is a profit per mile, will it be so small as to fit into the tiny savings--per mile driven--in insurance and licensing costs?

4) aren't maintenance and depreciation tied strongly to rate of usage? How am I benefited by paying for expenses that tend to accrue per mile driven on a per mile basis with this new fancy autonomous car service?

5) what is the time I spend waiting for this service worth?

----

The arrogance of people who believe that technology can solve any meaningful problem is topped only by their inability to recognize the past follies of people just like them.

Edited by RichardJensen

As noted before, the cost/benefit ratio will be more prominent in the large urban areas where the cost and time of parking is a factor.

Another convenience is the possibility to select what type of car you want/need. I could select two or three different cars each day to fit my desire. Eco car for work, lux or sports car for dinner and a mini van for weekend with the family.

And they do all of the driving with or without any input from me.

As noted before, the cost/benefit ratio will be more prominent in the large urban areas where the cost and time of parking is a factor.

Another convenience is the possibility to select what type of car you want/need. I could select two or three different cars each day to fit my desire. Eco car for work, lux or sports car for dinner and a mini van for weekend with the family.

And they do all of the driving with or without any input from me.

Oh. So the only reason why I should subscribe to this service is if I don't need it?

Yep. That sounds like the tech industry I've come to know and despise.

Also, if I'm being driven around in an autonomous car, please explain to me why I would want a "sport" variant? And how wonderful is that luxury car going to be when I have to sit around and wait for it? That's going to be so super awesome! "Hey honey, let's leave our cramped but oh-so-hip urban apartment and take the car service to Fabulously Expensive For No Particular Reason restaurant. You buy the reservation off of RestaurantSquatters.com, and I'll arrange for the best Lux-O-Matic 5000 to pick us up anywhere between 8:00 and 10:30.

Yes, that truly sounds like heaven on earth.

This idea is nothing more than a laughable solution to problems that aren't really problems.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Also, if I'm being driven around in an autonomous car, please explain to me why I would want a "sport" variant? And how wonderful is that luxury car going to be when I have to sit around and wait for it? That's going to be so super awesome! "Hey honey, let's leave our cramped but oh-so-hip urban apartment and take the car service to Fabulously Expensive For No Particular Reason restaurant. You buy the reservation off of RestaurantSquatters.com, and I'll arrange for the best Lux-O-Matic 5000 to pick us up anywhere between 8:00 and 10:30.

Makes me think of the 6000 SUX from the original Robocop haha.

Apparently Richard.. you will not be one of the first to sign up for this service..lol

Nope :)

This is the typical 'late tech' scenario where a real problem is 'solved' by reframing it as a much smaller problem affecting a smaller (and more affluent) number of people.

Edited by RichardJensen

This is a stupid Euro idea that some tech entrepreneurs see as the next big thing.

When you look at it, a service like short term rentals of vehicles has to be logistically and commercially viable,

the fact that major daily rentals haven't touched it or want a bar of this type of ad hoc business model tells me

that it's at best very localized like bicycle rentals or simply a non starter in the eyes of a lot of intended users.

The acid test will be if any of these geniuses are willing to self fund or do they want other people to fund this whim.

I'd suggest starting at popular holiday destinations with hourly or half day rental charges and then go from there...

I doubt that it will be anything more than a passing fad.

Edited by jpd80

http://nautil.us/issue/7/waste/did-cars-save-our-cities-from-horses

Interesting read..

"...Looking ahead, the current unsustainability of our automobile love won’t emerge from technological engineering, but social engineering, too. Historians Wells and Norton both view driverless cars, currently the darling of Silicon Valley, as a cosmetic upgrade on the status quo, promoted as revolutionary, but likely changing little. In a real revolution, they say, driverless cars would be one of many transportation options, along with bicycles, buses, and rail, in greener, saner, non-auto-centric future cities.

Of course, the social change required to revolutionize transportation under the current rule of the car will be formidable. Habits do change, though, and so do societies. “A lot of assumptions we treat as laws of nature are inventions,” says Norton. “A lot of mental models we think can’t change, can change. The proof is that they’ve changed in the past.”