5.0 undesirable?

meyeste

I don't think too many people are nostalgic about the 2.3T in the 80's Mustangs. There's a reason they were only offered for a few years. The 2.3 was going to exist whether the Mustang used it or not, as there is a need for it in other vehicles. More than likely, it just happened to check all the boxes that were needed in the Mustang also, so there it is.

The reason there is nostalgia for the SVO was that the SVO was faster than the GT of the time, not because anyone particularly liked a turbo.

• 4 months later...

I debated between the 3.7 ecoboost and the 5.0 on my new F150. I have yet to recieve it, but was glad to settle on the 5.0 I actually trust Ford, and believe their turbos will run well for a good service life. But, I wanted the simplicity and durablilty the 5.0 provides, and its a modest MPG hit, so I was pleased to make teh 5.0 choice. I suspect many are doing the same.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you are thinking of a 5.0L Coyote , dont think twice- It is the best engine ever put in an F150 IMO and gets no marketing whatsoever.

Ive had old 5.0s, 5.8s, 5.4s, 5.4 3valves and this engine is better, is good on fuel, revs like a chevy, and has a sound that an ecoboost just cant beat !

Twin turbo 6cyl in my truck ? Never. Let me know how that works out after your warranty is up.

Trucks are supposed to have a v8.

Revs like a Chevy? So you're saying the 5.0 is a slow, laborious, rough revver? Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only complaint I have with the gen 3 Coyote is the amount of nasty noises it makes. And I'm not referring to the exhaust. There are times when it absolutely sounds like a damn diesel. Rattles, clangs, ticks, you name it, it makes all those noises at times and at other times it is relatively quiet, but not very often. Ford says it is "normal". Bullshit! The only reason I would get rid of my '18 F-150 is because of the embarrassing sounds the damn thing makes. It certainly doesn't have the sound of a quality product. Not by a long shot.

This particular thread on F150forum.com currently has 1798 posts about those issues and 744,469 views:

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
> 2018 5.0L - Engine Rattle Noise On Deceleration And/Or Acceleration ***TSB 18-2354***

The first few posts sound hopeful but it goes downhill fast after that. As far as I know there is no permanent fix other than earplugs.

2018 and newer Mustangs with the 5.0L have the same issues.

44 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

The only complaint I have with the gen 3 Coyote is the amount of nasty noises it makes. And I'm not referring to the exhaust. There are times when it absolutely sounds like a damn diesel. Rattles, clangs, ticks, you name it, it makes all those noises at times and at other times it is relatively quiet, but not very often. 

Ive noticed this with a lot of Ford engines. Both of my Focuses had engines that were really loud at idle. A lot of valve train noise especially. I'm sure a lot of it could have been solved by not using a plastic/composite valve cover. So far the 2.0EB in my new car is the quietest ford engine I've had since my 2002 Explorer, possibly ever. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive noticed this with a lot of Ford engines. Both of my Focuses had engines that were really loud at idle. A lot of valve train noise especially. I'm sure a lot of it could have been solved by not using a plastic/composite valve cover. So far the 2.0EB in my new car is the quietest ford engine I've had since my 2002 Explorer, possibly ever. 

A lot of that noise is direct injection.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5.0 is an awesome motor with so much potential if you plan to modify it especially if you are towing.    If you plan to stay stock and if just do a tune, I would go with the 3.5 TT V6 as it is killer for towing especially with a tune.   Now you put a blower on that 5.0 and it's a beast in all aspects.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, shawns54 said:

I've been considering getting the 5.0 Mustang, but with the gas prices keep going up, it has left me on the fence.

My answer is the same as for those that ask about EPA ratings for a Mustang GT. If you can't afford it, you're looking at the wrong vehicle!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shawns54 said:

Ive been considering getting the 5.0 Mustang, but with the gas prices keep going up, it has left me on the fence.

I don't know what sort of driving you do but highway mileage for the 5.0 Mustang is actually quite good.   However, if you are really considering Mustang GT, I would think fuel economy would be far down on the list of things you are looking for.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shawns54 said:

Ive been considering getting the 5.0 Mustang, but with the gas prices keep going up, it has left me on the fence.

The difference in fuel costs between the 5.0 and the 2.3 at 15k miles and $3 gas is $47/ month.

EPA rating for the 5.0 with the 10 speed is 24 MPG highway.   Real world highway mileage is much better than that unless you are driving predominantly uphill or in 7th gear constantly.   The 4 cylinder might beat it's highway number, too.   I have no experience with those.

The 15 MPG city number for the 5.0 sounds about right.   I am a bit skeptical of the 21 MPG city rating for the 4 cylinder but, again, I have no experience with one.

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

EPA rating for the 5.0 with the 10 speed is 24 MPG highway.   Real world highway mileage is much better than that unless you are driving predominantly uphill or in 7th gear constantly.   The 4 cylinder might beat it's highway number, too.   I have no experience with those.

The 15 MPG city number for the 5.0 sounds about right.   I am a bit skeptical of the 21 MPG city rating for the 4 cylinder but, again, I have no experience with one.

I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost 10 speed with the Performance Pack.  It’s rated at 20/29.  My overall average for over 48,000 miles is 25.6 mpg.  It would be a bit better, but I drive in Sport+ mode (or shift the transmission into Sport) quite a bit.  I can easily beat the EPA ratings.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2015 at 10:44 AM, badams said:

I debated between the 3.7 ecoboost and the 5.0 on my new F150. I have yet to recieve it, but was glad to settle on the 5.0 I actually trust Ford, and believe their turbos will run well for a good service life. But, I wanted the simplicity and durablilty the 5.0 provides, and its a modest MPG hit, so I was pleased to make teh 5.0 choice. I suspect many are doing the same.

Assuming you meant 3.5EB not 3.7 ?, but I was in the same boat as you. Actually had my sales rep change my order twice...5.0-->3.5-->back to 5.0. Even then I wanted to switch it back, but got my VIN and now I'm happy that happened. I just sold my '16 GT, but it was the best car I've ever owned and the motor gave me literally zero issues. Yes it ticked, but a full catback will do wonders to make that hard to hear. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 4:06 PM, blksn8k2 said:

The only complaint I have with the gen 3 Coyote is the amount of nasty noises it makes. And I'm not referring to the exhaust. There are times when it absolutely sounds like a damn diesel. Rattles, clangs, ticks, you name it, it makes all those noises at times and at other times it is relatively quiet, but not very often. Ford says it is "normal". Bullshit! The only reason I would get rid of my '18 F-150 is because of the embarrassing sounds the damn thing makes. It certainly doesn't have the sound of a quality product. Not by a long shot.

This particular thread on F150forum.com currently has 1798 posts about those issues and 744,469 views:

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
> 2018 5.0L - Engine Rattle Noise On Deceleration And/Or Acceleration ***TSB 18-2354***

The first few posts sound hopeful but it goes downhill fast after that. As far as I know there is no permanent fix other than earplugs.

2018 and newer Mustangs with the 5.0L have the same issues.

My 2018 F150 had about 5 unique and concerning sounds.  I guess 2018 was a bad year for the Coyote, according to Ford Tech Makuloco 

https://youtu.be/HnXNxToGmSU?t=757