Windshield Wiper/Headlight Law

Furious1Auto

Doesn't make sense to me why any safety feature would be reserved to any specific model or trim level. If it's a safety feature wouldn't making it standard make it safer for all our customers? Also do to simplifying the process of assembly, and standardizing these feature, wouldn't it bring costs down utilizing platform technology. Obviously parts would cost less to Ford if they order in volume, versus ordering multiple types of harnesses, and bulbs, for every trim level for each product.

Doesn't make sense to me why any safety feature would be reserved to any specific model or trim level. If it's a safety feature wouldn't making it standard make it safer for all our customers? Also do to simplifying the process of assembly, and standardizing these feature, wouldn't it bring costs down utilizing platform technology. Obviously parts would cost less to Ford if they order in volume, versus ordering multiple types of harnesses, and bulbs, for every trim level for each product.

Certainly isn't the first instance where safety features were options. There were previously vehicles that did or didn't include side airbags, depending on which trim level it was.

Yes but there is a difference between personal safety, and public safety.

True, and they are becoming more common. Initially those light clusters were not cheap though. LED pricing has come down quite a bit and I expect to see its use rise dramatically across the industry in coming years.

Will be interesting to see which automaker finally takes the step of eliminating the traditional headlight assembly altogether and just uses LEDs that are fully integrated into the body. Will take getting used to though. Cars seem to look "wrong" somehow without headlights on the front corners.

Cars seem to look "wrong" somehow without headlights on the front corners.

I have thought alot of new cars in general look "wrong" over the years...that is till you see enough of them and they "grow" on you.

I have thought alot of new cars in general look "wrong" over the years...that is till you see enough of them and they "grow" on you.

That's happening now for me with the cherokee.

And the same thing happened with the Escape. When they first came out there was something about the D pillar and rear area that I just thought looked odd. But it grew on me a little. Then my wife decided she wanted an Escape and now that we've had it for a few weeks I love it.

The Aztek? Nissan Juke? Not so much. There are limits. :)

• 11 months later...

I've used autolamps on all vehicles for the last 10-15 years with no issues. It would be nice to be able to adjust the sensitivity.

Back in the day when they were electro-mechanical you could. Twilight Sentinel appeared on 1960 Buicks.

http://buickturboregal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/twilight-sentinel-decal-for-canada-buick-regal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...