New 2014 Fusion Issues - Radio and Molding

Just replaced my 2010 Fusion SE with a new 2014 SE. All in all I like the care. Does not really feel like much of a change as far as drive and features. Little different in body style and interior but that's all it feels like. Not getting any better gas mil. with eco boost over my older fusion but time will tell. Having a few issues and trying to work with dealer but its frustrating. First issue is stock standard radio is really terrible in this new fusion. No power at all, turn it up to 30 and it is half as load as my older 2010 fusion with a standard stock radio. And when I say standard radio I mean the basic one, not the upgraded Sony or what ever the current top factory radio option. Odd I would thing just getting a newer car the radio and power would be at least the same if not better than my older one. Really week when you use your MP3 player though AUX line in. Again this was never a issue with my 2010. so I am having to entertain trying to figure out how to ad a amp and sub to this stock system just to get more volume with out paying a arm and leg since this type of work I could not do on my own. and of course I am sure if done it would domino into have to replace all the stock speakers since most likely these are real cheap speakers and could not handle the upgrade in power. Second issue is the interior molding on pickup seemed to no be flush with the vehicle. Notice this on the walk around when I picked up the car as well as the salesman noticed it after I pointed it out. Took the car and brought it back the following week when I had time to service. They kept if for a few days and said it was fixed but no go so going to bring it back today. I am wondering now if I got a lemon of if the is a Design flaw and other owners of a new 2014 notice it also???? Will post pictures, to hard to explain. Its almost like the molding that surround the headliner is not flush or screwed in all the way. Heading is exposed and frilling which of course will start drooping in the future. These are the plastic molding in the front of the car that go from the roof down to the bottom of the front windshield closest to where the doors close to the body. Anyways decent car but frustrating with the issues.

post-51884-0-59747300-1399386490_thumb.jpg

post-51884-0-32231100-1399386491_thumb.jpg

post-51884-0-88278400-1399386491_thumb.jpg

post-51884-0-40851700-1399386492_thumb.jpg

post-51884-0-90669000-1399386492_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your problems :(

Ford has pretty poor quality control issues and don't take any responsibility for these issues. It's a pathetic way to treat your customers.

Good luck with customer support. I got persistent noise coming from the back of the car from my gas tank, and all Ford states is "there's nothing we can do". Design faults are being labeled as "characteristics" of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Regarding the door trim issue, the reason it is not tight and flush is that it is designed to "break away" as this is the side air curtain, that deploys on impact. I have the same issue, not exactly flush, but you can do it yourself by pulling the plastic piece inward toward the center of the vehicle and using a flathead screwdriver to open up the prongs a bit for a tighter fit. The just pop it back in position. Takes less than 5 minutes. (be very careful not to break the prongs. If you do, they are cheap to replace).

I feel the same way about the stock stereo. I'm glad I didn't get the touchscreen, but I want to add some more power to the system. Unfortunately, everybody I can find talking about beefing up the sound system on their Fusion is dropping massive amounts of money on parts and doing the labor themselves and it's hard to tell what you actually need to accomplish only a modest upgrade instead of a complete overhaul.

Like this guy, his setup is like $3000+!

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52931-2013-fusion-sub-install/&do=findComment&comment=890089

Edited by Fallom

Installing an aftermarket system is actually quite simple and can be done pretty inexpensive. You can do a nice double din touchscreen with all new speakers for under $1000. If you are looking for bass, add another $500 for amp/subs. Most install shops can do all of it for you if you need in 4-5 hours. So don't let posts like the one you referenced scare you.

Edited by alpinedaddy

Well took it to dealer and they adjusted headliner and replaced some of the rubber on the door. Its better but I can see how it will last over the life of the car. I did buy extended warranty so its covered. Just a hassle if I have to return again. I went to the lot and looked at the other 2014 fusion in various models and the seem the be the same as mine. The brace / molding are all not attached well in my opinion. This seem to be a design flaw as far as I am concerned so there really is nothing that can be done. As far as the stereo goes I would like to keep the head unit that in there just want more power / volume. I just don't know if that factory unit could support a amp and subwoofer. Going to take it to stereo shop later next week and see what they say.