Ford 2015 April sales down 1%

In the conference call the average transaction price for F Series is $39,000 and average incentives on Ford Trucks is the lowest of all the three main truckmakers.

We keep looking at sales numbers, not the reasons behind them, fewer sales of cars to daily rentals - that is not a huge issue.

Edited by jpd80

If you're incapable of dividing GM's profits by their units sold and comparing those numbers to Ford's then you really shouldn't say stuff like this.

Maybe you outta learn addition and subtraction, I still see GM in front of Ford with a rise in sales while Ford lost sales. Did Ford make more money per unit?, yes ( that's even debatable as the big SUVs had high sales) but give credit when it's due.

In the conference call the average transaction price for F Series is $39,000 and average incentives on Ford Trucks is the lowest of all the three main truckmakers.

And the F Series are the oldest trucks of the bunch. That is an accomplishment!

We keep looking at sales numbers, not the reasons behind them, fewer sales of cars to daily rentals - that is not a huge issue.

Exactly! It's not all about absolute sales numbers. You really need to look at the big picture, from incentives, to retail/fleet/rental breakdown, to plant utilization, etc. Sure, it would be nice to have more sales than anyone else, but making more profit per sale is more important than pure sales numbers.

Maybe you outta learn addition and subtraction, I still see GM in front of Ford with a rise in sales while Ford lost sales. Did Ford make more money per unit?, yes ( that's even debatable as the big SUVs had high sales) but give credit when it's due.

Ford not only made more money per unit - they made more money overall in the quarter than GM - $989M vs $125M.

Look at it this way - if I sell 10 cars and make $1000 while you sell 15 cars but only make $125 - which one is better?

Maybe you should learn how to count dollars and not sales.

• Like 1

And to put it in perspective - had Ford chosen to put big rebates on all their vehicles they could easily take the sales crown one month, but then you lost all the profit so what's the point of being number one in sales with no profit to show for it?

Such crow here. It went from "cant wait for GM to crash and burn" to " uum Toyota is the real competition/GM is proped by trucks". What's the excuse when GM outsells Ford again this year with recalls and a BK while at a profit ?.

There's plenty of crow on every brand specific forum most of the time. It is not something reserved just to this forum. And to be clear we are talking about the GM that will never pay back 11.2 billion dollars of American's money that they took right?

After being outsold by Ram last month by a few units, Silverado is back in second place and outsold Ram by just over 6k units.

Silverado 42,755

Ram 36,674

F-Series 63, 387

Sierra 17,246

F-Series outsells Silverado and Sierra combined.

Fixed it for you....

Both, the market doesn't like seeing surprise announcements in leadership changes, not after what Ford has been saying

and markets are notoriously superficial with sales figures and net profit interpretations

it highlights the difference between long term investors and traders dumping stock.

Edited by jpd80

I don't see the focus refresh adding that much to sales, though I haven't seen it in person and I could be wrong. This street article however has an interesting set of numbers: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/01/why-are-fords-car-sales-slipping.aspx

Focus sales were down over all by 18.6% but its retail sales were down only 4% So Focus was one of the brands heavily impacted by Fords 24% cut back in sales to rental fleets.

Sure its tough to see Ford not having sales increases greater than the industry. And it may well continue until the new product hits the show rooms. But the 24% rental fleet decrease does explain some of it and that in the long term it will help Focus resale value which should help leasing rates and customer satisfaction when they trade in their Focus.

Edited by Fordowner

Something I posted on another thread:

Ford pays it's execs more than GM

Ford pays it's UAW workers more than GM

Ford makes fewer vehicles than GM

Ford makes more money on each vehicle than GM

Ford customers must think their products are worth more than GM

Ford market cap is about 18% more than GM, the investment market thinks Ford is worth more than GM

Edited by 4d4evr
  • Like 1

OK Guys (Gals). W-H-Y ? ?

Chrysler and General Motors recorded April sales increases of 14% and 7%, respectively, while Ford sales fell 1%.

W-H-Y? We know that Chrysler had the new Jeep start to ship a few months ago, so #'s are increasing…but what can you definitely point to (like that) to show why Ford dropped and those other guys rose sales??

Thx

Ford doesn't have enough product to grow, they are too focused on the meat of thesegments while ignoring the edges of segments where there is less competition and more opportunities for growth.

Ford is becoming too depending on trucks again, it reminds me of the 1990s when resources were being poured into SUVs and truck and the car lineup was basically abandoned.

The solution isn't more me too products, but asymmetric products like wagons, hatches and MAVs.

Not a great month - exactly!

Don't know how anyone can spin the fact that industry was up about 9% overall but Ford was down 1% as a "good" month.

And again, the real competition; Toyota +13%, Nissan +18% - we all know that GM is propped up and Fiat/Chrysler's only growth is Trucks and Jeeps.

I am not saying "doomsday" or "end of the world" I am simply saying what is true - substantial industry growth is going to the competition and will need to be addressed.

Was does everyone here want compare ford with GM and not with Toyota?

Edited by Biker16

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ford isn't "dependent" on trucks like they were in the 90s nor are they ignoring the car lineup. Quite the opposite.

And there is no need to "grow" if it's only done by niche products like wagons, hatches and MAVs because there simply isn't much profit in those compared to the mainstream vehicles.

Amazing how much the naysayers can come up with in response to one month of sales where basically 4 vehicles (one of which, C-Max, is on the edge of a segment that is apparently so important for growth) didn't meet or surpass expectations.

But things are apparently hunky dory over at GM where they struggle to sell 20,000 midsize sedans a month and are needing to pile incentives on their brand new pickup just to barely cling to 2nd place, and at Chrysler who has a year old compact car that has dropped under 7000 units monthly.

Those two companies probably shouldn't be so worried about expanding into niche segments while they apparently still have glaring issues with some of their most important volume ones.

Edited by NickF1011

Yea seriously... some of you doom and gloom guys need to look up 2013 April results. It will put the 2014 April comparison to prior year in context. Ford is down 0.8% in 2014 because it had a gangbuster April 2013 when sales increased 17.8% vs. 2012 and Ford outpaced the industry by a HUGE margin. And the lack of new model launch in the first quarter of this year means Ford will go most of the sales gain in later part of 2014 when new Mustang, new Transit, facelift Focus, plus MKC goes on sale.

FORD BRAND

Fiesta 5,824 6,080 -4.2 21,422 22,108 -3.1

Focus 19,104 22,557 -15.3 71,007 84,455 -15.9

C-MAX 2,111 3,608 -41.5 7,677 13,285 -42.2

Fusion 26,435 26,722 -1.1 104,013 107,280 -3.0

Taurus 5,725 5,887 -2.8 18,034 22,871 -21.1

Police Interceptor Sedan 1,066 1,166 -8.6 3,351 3,624 -7.5

Mustang 7,243 7,751 -6.6 26,839 25,071 7.1

Ford Cars 67,508 73,771 -8.5 252,343 278,694 -9.5

Escape 24,579 25,826 -4.8 95,884 98,809 -3.0

Edge 7,374 10,357 -28.8 40,612 41,891 -3.1

Flex 1,649 1,808 -8.8 7,775 7,252 7.2

Explorer 16,629 14,204 17.1 58,997 62,853 -6.1

Police Interceptor Utility 1,850 1,236 49.7 5,550 3,784 46.7

Expedition 3,764 2,785 35.2 12,453 10,713 16.2

Ford Utilities 55,845 56,216 -0.7 221,271 225,302 -1.8

F-Series 63,387 59,030 7.4 236,745 227,873 3.9

E-Series 13,239 12,573 5.3 40,846 40,212 1.6

Transit Connect 3,573 2,779 28.6 11,004 13,205 -16.7

Heavy Trucks 771 600 28.5 3,269 2,267 44.2

Ford Trucks 80,970 74,982 8.0 291,864 283,557 2.9

Ford Brand 204,323 204,969 -0.3 765,478 787,553 -2.8

Ford+Lincoln is down 2.8% for the year.

Ford cars Are down 9.8% for the Year

Ford Trucks are up 2.9%.

GM

http://media.gm.com/dld/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/May/gmsales/_jcr_content/rightpar/sectioncontainer/par/download_0/file.res/GM-Deliveries-APRIL-2014.pdf

GM Sales were up 0.1% for the year.

Chevrolet down 1.2% for the year.

Buick Sales up, 11% for the year

Toyota

http://toyota.us/1mhJzZp

Toyota+ Lexus up 2.1% for the year only 45,000 units from ford.

Toyota cars are down 6.2% for the year, but up 8.6% in April.

Lexus makes up 12% of Toyota Sales and 12% are Pick up trucks. both are up big for 2014,Lexus up 17.9% Pickup trucks up 2.9% for 2014

What will product will help reverse the decline in Ford's Car Lineup?

Taurus?

Its just not enough product.

Edited by Biker16

Taking the Blue I.V. out of my veins... I am a little concerned with Ford's future. Not meaning going out of business , but keeping their new customers and maintaining sales volume. Here's my opinion or should I say my experience. My last two new Ford's ( 2011 F-150 FX4 and 2014 Fusion Titanium) have been the worst I've ever owned. Both have been back to the dealer more than my previous 10 new Fords. Let's also not count my 2008 F250 6.4L because that also saw the dealer way too much and had quite a few recalls along with a oil leak they couldn't find or fix. My F-150 still has a driveline clunking issue that can't be fixed even when they had the truck for over a month. Being on F-150 forums this is a MAJOR problem even through the new 2013's. The Fusion rattles like a '89 Hyundai and has electrical glitches. Another HUGE problem will be with the EcoBoost engines. That's pretty much all they offer now and the vast majority of owners on forums and in public talk about how miserable their mileage is. Yes, driving habits make a difference, but even when we try to get close to the EPA figure, it doesn't happen. Even keeping up with traffic should net you pretty close, but I'm 6mpg off in my truck and the fusion is barely averaging the city claimed mpg with 60% freeway and 40% city driving (22mpg). Our Fusion which has been on three road trips has only managed 25 MPG on all highway runs with very little city driving. Mind you, this is keeping up with traffic in the fast lane so speeds vary between 68-80 mph. Our last Fusion with the 3.0L averaged 31.5 MPG going even faster around 75-85 mph on those trips. I wish they still offered that engine. These boosted motors do crap mpg wise with keeping up with traffic or being a little aggressive. Word of mouth is getting out to stay away from the EB unless you want great power, but crap MPG. Just this past weekend 4 people at the resort we were staying at complimented the car and asked about the engine. I didn't lie and once they heard what I said, they said "we've heard the same thing". This is the future engines which Ford is heading and has we worried. I will not buy another EB engine. They do nothing MPG wise with my driving style and I'm not alone. So if Ford doesn't offer non boosted power plants that make good power I'll be leaving.

• Like 2

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ford isn't "dependent" on trucks like they were in the 90s nor are they ignoring the car lineup. Quite the opposite.

And there is no need to "grow" if it's only done by niche products like wagons, hatches and MAVs because there simply isn't much profit in those compared to the mainstream vehicles.

profit follows sales if your sales are Falling you profits will not be far behind. Niche product command a higher price than conventional mainstream products like the Fusion and the focus.

Toyota and Lexus sell 32 different Vehicles in the US. Ford Sells 19 different Vehicles in the US. Which company is more profitable? Toyota!

Explain how this works, they sell a wider variety of production from in low,medium and high volumes and are less dependent on Trucks than ford yet they are more profitable than Ford.