No my lose of power when driving it, is a different issue. Since I had it in the shop, I told them to check out the fan because as it spun down, it would squeak making it sound like a $5 pinto.....now they are telling me they are hanging on to it because the fan is being redesigned but there are no bulletins yet on it so no idea when it will be ready. He just said he could find none in stock anywhere in the country.

Do you have the engine cooling fan assembly for a '14 Explorer Sport where you are? If so please send it lol.

I was thinking about your issue and truly, the 3.5 ecoboost tranverse have been very trouble free. However, I did have a 2.0 Ecoboost on a 2013 Taurus that would have a intermittent loss of power and possible stall. After lots of driving and trying to duplicate, I found on WOT accel, it would act up. It turned out to be a wire rubbing against the alternator shorting out the reference voltage to the engine computer. Possibly something like what is happening to your vehicle.

I hope they get your vehicle back to you soon. We have downed a stock unit to get a customer on the road. Its not advised by Ford, but if the dealer would borrow the fan off of a stock unit until the part comes in, that would help you out.

MikeyD, these problems seem to be unique to your Explorer. I have a 2013 with 18k and I have a friend that has a 2013 as well, with 30k, and neither of us have had any of the issues you are experiencing. Both of these explorers have been trouble free, not even MFT issues. I know of a third one that was purchased at the same time as mine and the driver hasnt relayed any complaints to me, although i dont know the mileage of that explorer. It appears you may have gotten a bad one unfortunately. I would venture to say if you were able to get a replacement vehicle you would not be having these same issues. Hopefully it works out for you and you stay in the Ford family because it sure is a fun vehicle to drive.

You guys won't believe it!!! I got my 2014 Explorer Sport back on Monday 5/12!!!! Here's what I was told. First they were unable to repeat the problem of the car losing power so they couldn't fix it. I brought up everything people have mentioned here to the shop manager and everything was turned down as no that's not it, no that's not the problem, or that only happened on this or that model , so that was useless. So then when I pick it up he says we replaced the fan with the original fan model that it came with not the new redesigned model because those aren't available yet. Thought the bearing grind did stop, he said I can go back when the new fan design is in and get it replaced. Also he said that if Ford Corporate would have let him use the original fan part # then I could have had my vehicle back in 3 or 4 days NOT 34 days!!! Go figure that one out!!

So Ford Corporate wanted me to get a VDR (Vehicle data Recorder) from the dealership. Well they have none and their regional tech doesn't have any extras. I have since contacted Jeff at Corporate and left 3 voicemails with no call backs since Monday and it is now Thursay letting him know I need him to get me a VDR ESPECIALLY since we are going on the cross country road trip and travel over 6000 miles round trip!!! Once he calls, I will tell him to get me a VDR or if I have another problem no matter how minor or major, I will turn the car in as a LEMON and decide what to do from there.

We're really happy to have our car back and I thought I'd never be so happy to see her :) I'm really hoping I have no issues and really hoping that corporate can give me a VDR.

Stay tuned for a followup possibly after June 12 when I return from our trip!! Thanks to all who assisted us during this time !!!

• Like 1

he said that if Ford Corporate would have let him use the original fan part # then I could have had my vehicle back in 3 or 4 days NOT 34 days!!! Go figure that one out!!

There's a pretty simple explanation for this: Ford has to pay for warranty repairs, and replacing a defective part with another defective part has a high likelihood of doubling Ford's warranty costs.

Thus, unless you're in an oddball situation--as you were--Ford's not going to authorize something like this. In your case, I'm sure they did it to get you back on the road.

BTW: Glad you got your car back. Hope you can get a VDR before your trip.

Edited by RichardJensen