Keep in mind that most states lemon law kick in from the first time the complaint was made. So although you are making payments, they can/are generally refunded back to you. Just keep making them and let the process pan out.

Sometimes you can go for a full refund up to the point of the complaint, sometimes you can request an exact replacement of the vehicle. Ford can search high and low for an exact match and give that to you and take yours back.. you would then continue to make payments.

Check your lemon law states but it is generally always on your side in regards to making someone whole.

Well ladies and gentleman.......It's D-Day....this Wednesday 5/7/2014 will be 30 days that my 2014 Explorer with 3500 miles on it has been in the shop. And according to Ford there is no estimate....zero...nothing....nada on when the new fan design will be ready to ship out !!!! So I might not even see this thing for another month or 2!!! Also don't forget this isn't even looking at the main issue regarding the vehicle practically stalling on me.
Unfortunately I've spoken with the Ford Regional manager that I've been working with and I've been kind and patient but to be honest with you making a full months payment on a car that I don't even have kinds of gets under my skin.
Sooooo on that note when I spoke to the Regional Manager I told him I think I'm ready to file for a Lemon Law buy back. I really do enjoy my 2014 Explorer Sport, so I think I might give it another go....I just think there is a major issue with the one I have that they cannot resolve. So the Regional Manager said he would call me back tomorrow on how it will all work and it usually take 15 days average to get full response from Ford on what they will do.
To be honest I'm on the fence because my car is somewhat still new and I'm not sure if I can get as good as a deal if I get a new one (incentives wise).
I'll update all when I hear back.

substitution of collateral...you should be fine...things should not change, and while I am not 100% on this, i beleive if you get a new vehicle all $ already spent will be accredited AND the #s should be exactly the same.....

• Like 1

substitution of collateral...you should be fine...things should not change, and while I am not 100% on this, i beleive if you get a new vehicle all $ already spent will be accredited AND the #s should be exactly the same.....

I think you only pay the difference in the msrp minus depreciation on the old vehicle.

This is where I wish Ford would be more proactive taking care of customers with problems that the dealers can't fix within a reasonable amount of time. You shouldn't have to go through lemon laws all the time.

An acquaintance of mine works for the largest Pennsylvania law firm that specializes in lemon law cases. He told me that the Germans - in particular, VW - are by far the worst to deal with on lemon law cases. Very stubborn, and almost refusing to believe that they could ever produce a dud.

Honda and Toyota are the best to deal with on this type of case. GM and Ford fall into the middle.

Edited by grbeck

Ya I plan on making payments still. I've already spoken to a GREAT law firm that deals with lemon law issues. I should in the end get all my monthly payments back as well as my original down payment. I plan on getting another 2014 or 2015. I already spoke to the dealership who by the was has been EXCELLENT!!! The dealership is now looking for another vehicle for me while I wait to hear from Ford. As per Ford it can take a few weeks for a decision, but I don't see a problem.

The only issues I'm having right now is explaining to the family how we might not be able to take a cross country trip as planned this summer with our new car :(

Thanks to you all for the information.

The only issues I'm having right now is explaining to the family how we might not be able to take a cross country trip as planned this summer with our new car :(

See if Ford will cover a rental similar to your vehicle for the trip. That's the least they could do in this situation. Best of luck getting the issue resolved and NOT spoiling the family vacation!

From what I hear they have to by law label it as a lemon and they can resell it as long as they list what is wrong and what has been corrected. They will probably auction it off or sell it off to a used car dealership!

It would seem to make sense that Ford could repair these and sell them to dealerships at a greatly reduced cost to use as loaner vehicles. Then again, that would probably be too easy for the dealership to abuse and claim a lemon just to get a cheap loaner vehicle.

It would seem to make sense that Ford could repair these and sell them to dealerships at a greatly reduced cost to use as loaner vehicles. Then again, that would probably be too easy for the dealership to abuse and claim a lemon just to get a cheap loaner vehicle.

Hell, I'd take an Explorer Sport as a loaner any day!

"Take your time with her, boys. I'm in good shape for a while."

• Like 2

What happens to a lemon law vehicle after the mfg takes it back?

They normally repair them and then sell them at auctions to dealerships ensuring everyone knows it was a lemon. From my understanding, when purchasing one, you have to sign a paper stating you know it was a lemon. That may only to the first buyer after it is declared a lemon.

The dealership I bought my '08 F250 from dose a lot of this, normally bringing them in from California. I came across quite a few when looking for my truck, but I steered clear, even with a ~$4k price advantage vs. a non-lemon law truck.

I actually bought a 2006 Freestyle from a local Ford dealer that was repurchased by Ford as a lemon. It had 20-something thousand miles on it when I bought it in 08. I made the dealership give me the 100,000 mile extended warranty when I bought the car. It's a Limited with way more bells and whistles on it than we would have bought normally, but it was a great deal, as you can imagine. I was given a list of everything that was repaired or replaced on the car and a list of all the former owner's complaints. We've had no issues whatsoever with the Freestyle.

• Like 1

Well ladies and gentleman.......It's D-Day....this Wednesday 5/7/2014 will be 30 days that my 2014 Explorer with 3500 miles on it has been in the shop. And according to Ford there is no estimate....zero...nothing....nada on when the new fan design will be ready to ship out !!!! So I might not even see this thing for another month or 2!!! Also don't forget this isn't even looking at the main issue regarding the vehicle practically stalling on me.

Unfortunately I've spoken with the Ford Regional manager that I've been working with and I've been kind and patient but to be honest with you making a full months payment on a car that I don't even have kinds of gets under my skin.

Sooooo on that note when I spoke to the Regional Manager I told him I think I'm ready to file for a Lemon Law buy back. I really do enjoy my 2014 Explorer Sport, so I think I might give it another go....I just think there is a major issue with the one I have that they cannot resolve. So the Regional Manager said he would call me back tomorrow on how it will all work and it usually take 15 days average to get full response from Ford on what they will do.

To be honest I'm on the fence because my car is somewhat still new and I'm not sure if I can get as good as a deal if I get a new one (incentives wise).

I'll update all when I hear back.

So maybe I missed something. Do they know what is wrong with it? You said a new fan design? Did I miss a post explaining?

Partly related, my '13 Fusion 2.0l has done this twice. Once when passing around a car stopped taking a left. And almost getting hit by one taking a right because I didn't move when I should've.

The other was also on the highway and merging. Car just didn't respond and I went from 50 to 30 with cars racing up behind me.

Dealer found no issue.

So I spoke with Ford corporate regional mgr. I told him my trip was coming up on May 24 and asked if there was anyway they could give me my car back with a VDR to record incident since they can't have it occur. He said yes but my other problem with the engine cooling fan is concerning. He says he hasn't had a complaint a issue about the fan making squeaking noise when it spins downs after the car is turned off. So he said if they don't get fan replaced the fan can break/stop working during my trip and then my car will over heat!!!! So I asked him what is taking so long to replace the fan??? He said the original has a flaw and is being redisgned. He has nothing from engineering on when the redesign of fan will be complete and when it will go into production.

Sooooooo not only has it now been there for 33 days straight, there is nooooooo time quote he can give me when fan will be completed. So I can't get my car back at this time and more than likely won't before trip!!!

Can any FORD EMPLOYEES tell me what's up with the engine cooling fan redesign???

As for a rental Jeff from Corporate says he only has a certain amount of money then that's it no more rental! He said if I get a explorer rental on my own, then put it on my credit card and he will see about reimbursing me, but depending on how much he may be only able to cover up to a certain amount!!

Does this make sense to everyone? Or what are my option besides lemon law?? What should they pay for if anything if I keep the explorer?? Should they pay me my month of payments??

Thanks!!

Mike

This sounds like a problem an SHO owner was having on another board. Intermittant, loss of power, decreased performance, etc, etc. Turned out a wire for one of the knock sensors had chaffed against a bracket on the engine causing an intermittant short. When it shorted it made the computer think the engine was knocking so the PCM pulled fuel and spark causing the car to fall flat on it's face. I think this only affects the FWD based (transverse engine) vehicles due to the routing of the harness to that knock sensor.

I am not exactly understanding what is going on. The early explorer had some fan issues, but I have not seen or heard of any failures/problems on 2013+. Do they think the fan is causing your intermittent drivability issue?

I recently replaced a cooling fan assy on a 09 Flex the other day and we had one in stock. I realize its a different part number, but I don't see a back order issue at this time. When the fans started failing on 2011MY at one time they were hard to get, but not any longer.