2017 Presidential Limo

If Ford does compete for the next edition due in 2017, what would it look like - The current one runs on 35 inch tires - some say on a TOPKICK frame - I can remember when Lincoln was the supplier of

Presidential Limos - Ford should compete for the deal - lots of visuals , great brand advertising too !

Phil

It would probably look like the next generation MKS which I hope will be stunning like the MKZ and MKC.

If it looks like the MKT, the world would laugh at the USA and terrorists would try to blow it up just because it is too ugly to leave alone.

Edited by atomcat68

I too agree it would be great if Ford got back into producing the presidential limo, but naturally it wouldn't be any where's close to a production vehicle - nor should it be with all of the security features required. Would the chassis be the Expedition or F-350/450?

From the proposal - "The contract proposal says bids are “restricted to Major domestic U.S Automobile Manufacturers, who have their primary headquarters located in the United States of America.” So, would this limit the companies in the running to be just Ford, GM and Chrysler? With Chrysler being owned by a foreign company, but with their Chrysler HQ in the USA, one has to wonder if they qualify?

From the Detroit News:

"In 2011, the limo came under scrutiny when the Secret Service said some federal vehicles are exempt from Obama’s directive that all federal vehicles purchased starting 2015 be advanced-technology models.

As a candidate for president in 2008, Obama unveiled an energy strategy that called for boosting electric vehicles in the federal fleet.

“Within one year of becoming president, the entire White House fleet will be converted to plug-ins as security permits; and half of all cars purchased by the federal government will be plug-in hybrids or all electric by 2012,” his campaign fact sheet said.

In fact, none of the vehicles in the White House fleet were converted."

Could anyone imagine the presidential limo being a plug-in? I know it would never happen as the suggested curb weight (while it's classified) has been estimated to be in excess of 10,000 pounds. How big of electric motor do ya think it would take? Plus, with the additional size of the battery required to power it, the limo would have to be the size of a tour bus.

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

I actually like both versions! I don't think the powers-that-be will rely on an electric-powered vehicle in case it becomes necessary for a quick getaway. I guess someday NASCAR will have nozzles shooting smoke out the rear/sides, speakers broadcasting the sound of squealing tires and also engine noise to maintain excitement!

I too agree it would be great if Ford got back into producing the presidential limo, but naturally it wouldn't be any where's close to a production vehicle - nor should it be with all of the security features required. Would the chassis be the Expedition or F-350/450?

From the proposal - "The contract proposal says bids are “restricted to Major domestic U.S Automobile Manufacturers, who have their primary headquarters located in the United States of America.” So, would this limit the companies in the running to be just Ford, GM and Chrysler? With Chrysler being owned by a foreign company, but with their Chrysler HQ in the USA, one has to wonder if they qualify?

From the Detroit News:

"In 2011, the limo came under scrutiny when the Secret Service said some federal vehicles are exempt from Obama’s directive that all federal vehicles purchased starting 2015 be advanced-technology models.

As a candidate for president in 2008, Obama unveiled an energy strategy that called for boosting electric vehicles in the federal fleet.

“Within one year of becoming president, the entire White House fleet will be converted to plug-ins as security permits; and half of all cars purchased by the federal government will be plug-in hybrids or all electric by 2012,” his campaign fact sheet said.

In fact, none of the vehicles in the White House fleet were converted."

Could anyone imagine the presidential limo being a plug-in? I know it would never happen as the suggested curb weight (while it's classified) has been estimated to be in excess of 10,000 pounds. How big of electric motor do ya think it would take? Plus, with the additional size of the battery required to power it, the limo would have to be the size of a tour bus.

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

Would be 4WD with electric motors @ each wheel and torque would pull with great authority, remember the electric locomotives. :shift:

Even with the massive change in scale, This would be an awesome way to introduce a new, true luxury Lincoln sedan to the world. If there are no plans to build an above MKS/Taurus class car, then I say the presidential Limo should be based on the MK*rapbox. This would make it a true symbol of the times and the changes in Lincoln and the status of our country. I'm being partially sarcastic, but the news of late just isn't that optimistic about where we are going as a nation. Let's hope we get this turned around in a more unified and less divisive way.

The RFP says it is restricted to major auto company with headquarter in the US.

That really limits to Ford and GM. And GM is out of the medium duty truck business so they don't have a platform. So that leaves Ford and its new F-650...

The RFP says it is restricted to major auto company with headquarter in the US.

That really limits to Ford and GM. And GM is out of the medium duty truck business so they don't have a platform. So that leaves Ford and its new F-650...

I say introduce a world-class full-size while the Presidential version would be a F-650 based look alike, think the pre-"Beast" GWB limo in 2006 that look like the DTS but wasnt a DTS at all.

The current "beast" is a GM Topkick frame in name alone... It is truly a custom built one-off vehicle as all Presidential limos have been for some time. As long as GM can design a frame as specified by the Secret Service their lack of Medium Duty production won't be a problem. My guess is that due to unique demands the frame material will be custom built out of house at a yard used to dealing with government oversight (i.e. raw material certification). On the power train front I have been wondering when we might be seeing train-type power trains in military type vehicles, and buses for us civilians, for some time. There are significant packaging benefits to place electrical motors on the drive wheels separated from the engine, which operates as a high power generator. Particularly when you consider the demands of survivability against explosives. The Army boys in Ann Arbor haven't cleared said technology for general production, but have been making progress and aren't far off. Since the "improved beast" will be a one off that receives a great amount of care and feeding it might be a good place to take a risk on this powertrain technology.

Edited by Kris Kolman

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know who got the job to produce the 2017 United States of America Presidential limousine? It would be appropriate for it to be the new 2017 Lincoln Continental sitting (for the safety of the new President) on the platform of the technologically advanced new Ford trucks with aluminum bodies and the upcoming 9/10 speed automatic transmissions. It's definitely about time for the Lincoln Motor Company to regain the title as the principal carrier of the President of the United States of America. :superhero:

It would be cool for Lincoln to be back making pres limos. I am sure it will be a truck platform and a diesel due to quality gas can be hard to find in other countries but diesel is not. Plus, diesel is less volatile in the event of an attack. Also, the MKT isn't any more ugly than the current franken-Cadillac. The only thing Cadillac-esque is the tacky grille, escalade headlamps and discontinued STS tail lamps.

IMO the only attractive pres limo was Kennedy's ,61 continental, before they added the roof and painted it black after he was shot. Since then, they all added so much security and bullet proofing and bomb proofing to the new limos that the roof line looks disproportionate.

A all new MKS style would be the best advertisement for Lincoln.

One thing is for sure, its a government funded project, budget will not be needed, they will just print more! That seems to be the mantra as of.... well seems like always.

I prefer the styling of the Lincoln Continental Presidential limousines from the 1960's as well, and I agree with about the need for the "all-new style" of the successor to the MKS, or a brand new Lincoln Continental! I liked President Nixon's 1969 Lincoln Continental because it reminded me of my dad's 1969 Lincoln Continental sedan. :) I believe with Ford's class-leading innovation in truck platforms, Lincoln Motor Company should be able to build an excellent new generation of limousines for the President of the USA. I saw the inauguration of President George Herbert Walker Bush on youtube and his new 1989 Lincoln Town Car Presidential limousine looked pretty good. I hope Ford was awarded the job to produce the new limousine for the 45th President of the USA!

This is a must win for Lincoln Motor Company and Ford Motor Company....combine the best assets of a proven Ford truck chassis with the understated elegance of the Lincoln Motor Company styled coach work to produce a vehicle that is far and away the finest Presidential conveyance to date....but keep it innovative....hybrid power train to show Americas commitment to a cleaner and more efficient drive line and make it using the best techniques available .....think Transit chassis for efficient weight ratio and Ford Tough chassis development and aluminum panels that reflect the next design of MKS full size sedan.

• Like 1

I definitely think Ford can do it. It is just a matter of will they do it. Does the current brass see this as a opportunity? Because lets face it, if they are going to do it by 2017 they better get started.

A hybrid setup or maybe even a hydraulic assist system to save fuel when putting around would look good to the public.

I was doing some reading and the current Cadillac is slow and only gets 8mpg. An approx. 15 sec 0-60. Plus the top speed is something like 60mph. I realize the weight is insane so getting that weight moving and then turning and stopping is a challenge but I thought they were supposed to be fast when needed. The secret service guys would be yelling on the radio, hurry up that prius is catching us.

Edited by fordtech1

This was from the NY times back in March. Looks like it was already awarded.

The Secret Service says the contract will be awarded on Aug. 29, “based on best value to the government.” The winning company will have the option to perform the final two phases of the limousine program: validation testing and production of the final vehicles, which are to be on the road in time for the next inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/automobiles/taking-bids-for-the-next-beast.html?_r=0

Edited by fordtech1