2015 FORD RANGER RUMOR

gafry

My first vehicle was a Ranger. I would love to see them bring it back a few years before my oldest son gets his license so we can get him a nice used ranger.

And there we have it folks. The same problem Ford faced with the Panthers. The people that want these vehicles don't want to buy a new one. If nobody buys the new ones then there can't be any used ones.

• Like 1

While a Ranger/F100 would take some F150 sales, it would also take some Ram, Tundra and Silverado sales, as well as garner some new customers. We can only speculate on the net end result. We'll see how the Canyon/Colorado does. I would have bought something smaller had it been available. I've owned two Sport Tracs and one Ranger, and found them to meet my needs perfectly. Especially the V8 ST. With newer drivetrains something similar would only be better.

Better for customers? Sure. Better for Ford's bottom line? Probably not, especially if people want them because they're cheap like the old Rangers.

You're sounding rather anti-ranger these days akiby. It's a little depressing. We all know how far hope and change can get us, but this is the rumor mill section of the forum, so please smoke a little with us as we hope and dream.

Better for customers? Sure. Better for Ford's bottom line? Probably not, especially if people want them because they're cheap like the old Rangers.

Using that same logic, why have Escape, Explorer, Expedition? Or Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus? They all add development cost, they take sales from each other.

Using that same logic, why have Escape, Explorer, Expedition? Or Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus? They all add development cost, they take sales from each other.

Ummm, maybe because they are selling enough to carry their own weight AND make money in the process? And they aren't taking sales away from the bread and butter of Ford.

A new Ranger would be awesome, but only if it makes financial sense for Ford to do it.

Because the markets for those are much larger and most are growing. Ford sells more escapes in ine year than all mid sized trucks combined.

It's a case by case decision and it's different for different mfrs based on their current offerings, platforms and production facilities.

You people realize the whole reason the Ranger was made in the first place was to cover up for the losses Ford was taking in building and selling the Fox body Mustang after the fiasco that became the probe was announced right? The only reason the Ranger lasted as long as it did was it was profitable enough to cover up for money losing models through the '90s and '00s. The ranger was axed for 2 main reasons. 1. It was nearing the end of the line for federal crash test standards and 2. It was no longer profitable enough to justify a redesign to account for reason 1. It had to go. The market for it simply wasn't there anymore and R&D for a new model wasn't in the cards. Its the same reason why we now have the Transit instead of an all new E-series van, the only difference is, there is still a HUGE market for a commercial van/Large passenger van.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Look at what Ford as been doing in the last few years, closing down plants that made Crown Victoria, BOF Explorer/Sport Trac and Ranger

allowed Ford to reduce production capacity and save money by not developing new products for those plants. existing buyers were then

given the chance to move on to other continuing products or go elsewhere. Either way, that strategy saved Ford a lot of money and resources.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a market for a small truck-no doubt. I would think a Transit Connect pickup would fit the bill nicely. Very different in size than

the F150 so would not hurt sales, and would be funk styling-bringing more people to the Ford brand. I drive Fords and am not buying an F150. A step ladder to get in the bed? Deal breaker for me, too big-not remotely useable.

I saw a T6 ranger in Toledo, Spain this past month. It was huge - appeared to be roughly the same size as the current F150. I can't see it coming over unless it shrinks significantly. I think an eventual combining of the F150 and ROW pickup may happen given their similarity in size today. I could see the new F150 becoming the Ranger in the rest of the world if it shrinks a little bit as has been discussed on here. I can't see any scenario where the current F150 and T6 Ranger are sold side by side - they are going after the exact same market!

Article from today. Seems pretty logical to me.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/ford-reconsidering-compact-pickup-ranger-221407188.html

"We're looking at it. We think we could sell a compact truck that's more like the size of the old Ranger, that gets six or eight more miles per gallon (than a full-size truck), is $5,000 or $6,000 less, and that we could build in the U.S. to avoid the tariff on imported trucks," said Scott to the paper.

I saw a T6 ranger in Toledo, Spain this past month. It was huge - appeared to be roughly the same size as the current F150. I can't see it coming over unless it shrinks significantly. I think an eventual combining of the F150 and ROW pickup may happen given their similarity in size today. I could see the new F150 becoming the Ranger in the rest of the world if it shrinks a little bit as has been discussed on here. I can't see any scenario where the current F150 and T6 Ranger are sold side by side - they are going after the exact same market!

Not that this matters as far as making a case for the Ranger, but it is quite a bit smaller then the F150.

The F150 is 8 inches taller, 7 inches wider, from 6 -21 inches longer (depending on variant) and the standard F150 wheelbase is the same as the Ranger

Not that this matters as far as making a case for the Ranger, but it is quite a bit smaller then the F150.

The F150 is 8 inches taller, 7 inches wider, from 6 -21 inches longer (depending on variant) and the standard F150 wheelbase is the same as the Ranger

There we go fixed it, thanks for keeping it real here akirby :victory:

Edited by MKII

I was really just pointing out that the T6 ranger is bigger than the old Ranger so when people are comparing it to the F150 they need to use the bigger T6 specs.

Thanks for the heads up on the requirements, I 'll make a note of the rule on the Ranger to F150 comparo and make sure that only T6 specs be used.