How about a 4L Ecoboost V8, now that the 6.2L is dead in the F150

Now that Ford will no longer offer a 6.2L in the F150, how about a 4L Ecoboost V8 as the top tier medium duty engine and a base heavy duty engine for the F250?

Extrapolating from the 3.5L Ecoboost you get:

1. -417hp
  2. -480lb-ft
  3. -20% better fuel than the 6.2L it replaces and 10% better fuel than the N/A 5.0L
  4. -Commands a premium over the 3.5L.
  5. -More compact than the 6.2L so you can use it for RWD car applications like the Mustang or a Lincoln sedan
Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 2

Or maybe with less limiting transmissions, the EB 3.5 can be re calibrated to its full potential of around 420 hp and 470 lb ft.

I heard rumours quite a while ago about a 4L plus eco....havent heard anything for a while....

Edited by Deanh

It will be very interesting to see what gas engines will be available in the next generation Super Duty.

The current 6.8L V10 is still similar to the Coyote, and it's proven & reliable. So, I could see Ford sticking with it, give it a CGI block, 4V heads and punching it out to 7.3L or so for F550 and up (and F53) applications. It makes more sense than keeping an oddball engine like the 6.2L around.

It will be very interesting to see what gas engines will be available in the next generation Super Duty.

Hopefully the 6.2 with some upgrades (3V heads and direct injection). I expect some sort of ecoboost 5.0 but I would be shocked/pissed if there is no 6.2 without upgrades over the existing.

I am interested in see if the Cummins or the Powerstroke will be the first to hit 1000 ft/lbs in production form.

The current 6.8L V10 is still similar to the Coyote, and it's proven & reliable. So, I could see Ford sticking with it, give it a CGI block, 4V heads and punching it out to 7.3L or so for F550 and up (and F53) applications. It makes more sense than keeping an oddball engine like the 6.2L around.

What would be the base engine in the Super Duty in that case? I think if the 6.8 sticks around for the next gen SD then it may return to the pick up trucks, after all if they keep it around they would eventually ditch the 5 speed torqshift it currently still uses which I think is the reason it is not offer in the pickups.

What would be the base engine in the Super Duty in that case? I think if the 6.8 sticks around for the next gen SD then it may return to the pick up trucks, after all if they keep it around they would eventually ditch the 5 speed torqshift it currently still uses which I think is the reason it is not offer in the pickups.

In my completely made up, baseless scenario, the base gas engine for the F250/F350 could be a 4V 5.8L with more HP and torque than the current 6.2L. Then the 6.7L diesel & my made up 4V 7.3L V10 gas/cng would be optional. A V8 EcoBoost would make its way into an F250, but only if it loses a lot of weight.

Why not just offer the 6.2 as an option for those who want the simplicity and reliability of big cubes making power?

Reading my owners manual awhile back, and a lot of things mentioned applied to the 3.7, 5.0, and 3.5EB. The 6.2L was often listed separately.

It's almost like the 6.2 was the black sheep of the engine family. Perhaps Ford ditched it as much for its lack of similarity as much as its take rate?

As far as power, I'm often startled at how much my EB puts to the pavement even with a 3.15 rear end.

Edited by RangerM

Might it also be possible that Ford is going to one single V8 architecture?

That would be a first.

It should be something stone cold simple to appeal to fleets. Would love to see a version of the venerable 4.9L straight six motor with modern updates.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

I thought the whole reason for developing the 6.2L was to replace the 6.8L in the Super Duty line? The 6.2 has only been available for a few years and I doubt Ford would drop it completely after such a short run. However, with the reduction in weight of the '15 F-150 there is no longer a need for the 6.2 in that truck. The 3.5 EB is more than capable of doing what the 6.2 did in the current F-150 especially after they switch to the lighter platform. I could see the 6.2 as the only gas engine in the Super Duty and maybe in a future F-150 Raptor but my guess is the next Raptor will get the 3.5 EB or a higher output 5.0 V8.

The 6.2L Boss engine has been a "problem child" for Ford since its inception...it had a really protracted development, gas prices spiked and almost didn't come out. I don't Ford hit its internal goals with the engine and I wouldn't be surprised if it did fade away in a couple years.

I thought the whole reason for developing the 6.2L was to replace the 6.8L in the Super Duty line? The 6.2 has only been available for a few years and I doubt Ford would drop it completely after such a short run. However, with the reduction in weight of the '15 F-150 there is no longer a need for the 6.2 in that truck. The 3.5 EB is more than capable of doing what the 6.2 did in the current F-150 especially after they switch to the lighter platform. I could see the 6.2 as the only gas engine in the Super Duty and maybe in a future F-150 Raptor but my guess is the next Raptor will get the 3.5 EB or a higher output 5.0 V8.

I don't think the 6.2 quite replaces the V10 in some applications due to a lower torque output, the 3V V10's are quite the powerhouse for a gas motor. If they upgrade the 6.2 to 3V or 4V they could definitely get it a lot closer to the V10 though. The V10 they seemed to reluctant to go through the process of matching up to the 6 speed torqshift and kept the old transmission that dates back to 03 I believe behind it.

Well Ford and Indmar Marine just inked a deal for a supercharged 6.2 Ford V8. I know that is a relatively small application but if Ford was planning to drop the engine I don't think they would have bothered. I have a gut feeling there is more in store for 6.2.

Forgot about that, I think the Super Duty volume itself is probably enough to keep the 6.2 alive considering gas seems to be gaining popularity in Heavy Duties again. The 6.2 is in its base configuration right now with more valves and direct injection still to come I think. The next SD is going to need a bump in power if they want to stay competitive with Ram's now offered 6.4 Hemi.

On cars.com, I looked up what ws available in F150 to F450 to see what was available

in terms of gasoline and diesel powered trucks:

- 89,535 are F150s.............Gasoline = 89,539 (all)

- 17,264 are F250s.............Gasoline = 5,855 , ..... Diesel = 10,494.......unknown = 915

- 10,589 are F350s.............Gasoline = 1,895 , ..... Diesel = 8,442.......unknown = 262

- 469 F450s........................Gasoline = 26 , ..... Diesel = 442

Around 33% of F250s are gasoline powered but only 20% of F350/450 are gasoline powered. so it looks like there's a case for the 6.2 V8 in F250

where numbers are still strong but it also looks like the F350 & 450 still needs the larger 6.8 V10 as a base engine due to its greater low end torque.

And clearly, there's a balancing act going on in the SD range between offering a base gasoline engine versus the much more popular 6.7 V8 Diesel,

a more efficient Ecoboost gasoline engine may be a welcome addition but would it draw sales away form those lofty diesel numbers.

Edited by jpd80