Sould Bill Ford be FIRED??Or is he doing a GREAT job running Ford Motor Company???

I personally think he should hand some of his power to other HIGHLY experianced managers. Hes Chairman, CEO, COO etc......

I like the idea of a Ford man running Ford Motor Co but in 5 years of him being top dog, his leadership makes me laugh. Why rant and rave about by 2010 his company will be making 250,000 hybrids then a few months later scapping that idea.

I dont know. I am sure their is plenty of you on here that has opinions on him, it is blue oval news so we are all intitled to our views. Theirs no dout he is committed but his commitment might kill his company!

Bill is a good president .. I believe Ford was always in good hands when a Ford was a board president .. but you are right - he is not CEO material ....

If Fields turns the NA mess around, you can count of the fact that he is the next FoMoCo CEO .

I would expected Anne Stevens then take the Reigns of the Ford NA division.

Bill is a visionary - and those belong in the board room - and maybe in some "Environmental Concerns Department of FoMoCo" ... CEO needs to be more down to earth, more assertive and more detail oriented - Bill is not really any of that.

Igor

Oh, what the press would say the day that a Ford was fired or demoted by the company that bears the same name. He's perhaps not as strong a leader, but he could always take the philosophy of his grandfather and surround himself with competent people who can greatly contribute for the common good of the company.

Someone on here in another forum compared a company like Ford to a big ship and that I think is a good analogy. As stated, it takes a large ship awhile to make a turn and the same is true with Ford. Ford spent a lot of money in the nineties and to some degree, now is the company only begin to realize the benefits of it. Plus, the competition is a moving target. Factor in a slowed economy and rising energy cost. I think all this just happens to be on Bill Ford's watch.

Ford has spent some money that I thought really wasn't wise in recent years and none present this like what was invested in the Ford GT. Its a good image car but hasn't done nothing for its image in the mainstream. On top of this, Ford stumbled on this car with that one embarrassing control-arm problem that forced a recall of its hand-assembled exotic car. The Ford GT for all its greatness, is a car twice built in arrogance. Its a considerable amount of money that most of us will benefit from...unless we win the lottery.

Does anyone think that if last name was Smith that he would be running the company? Of Course not because he is a very bad CEO, look where they have gotten from 2000 till now under his leadership. I realize he took over from Nasser which almost destroyed the companies reputation but bill did nothing to fix any of that. He didn't even think about products. He provided nothing and needs to go, Along with all the other Ford family members who were hired based solely on their last name and nothing more. The only defense you can make is that now Bill has really no control and gave it to Mark Fields and now is simly like a the english monarchy, just a status symbol.

As much as I love the GT, I have to agree that it was a mistake to spend the money on a car like that. They should have done what they did in 1955, and build a world-class, S-Class beating Lincoln Continental with that money, and brought Lincoln-Mercury back from the dead. The 2003 Lincoln restylings were also a huge mistake. A lot of money spent on sheetmetal retooling, with little exterior differences.

Bill's global results are actually quite positive ...comparing him to Nasser is misguided; Ford did a lot of good for FoMoCo.. but he has struggled greatly with Ford NA ... I still think he is not a great CEO ...

Igor

Edited by igor

Mark Fields will be CEO of Ford someday. It all depends on what happens over the the next couple of years or so. I think Ford should be Chairman of the Board, but he needs to turn day to day CEO business over to someone who has a lot of management experience. I would say however that Bill Ford probably HAS management experience at this point. He has been doing it since 2001. He has been trying to recruit over the past couple of years, but I think now, he has his mind on taking Field up to that position if he can prove himself with the Way Forward plan.

I look at it this way...you could do MUCH worse then Bill Ford as CEO. He is not perfect, but he loves the company and because of that, he has tried as hard as he can. Remember at one time all GM fans wanted Rick Wagoner's head, now since they claim GM is fixed, he is great! If Ford turns around I am sure Bill will gain a new level of support he has not had yet.

I look at it this way...you could do MUCH worse then Bill Ford as CEO. He is not perfect, but he loves the company and because of that, he has tried as hard as he can. Remember at one time all GM fans wanted Rick Wagoner's head, now since they claim GM is fixed, he is great! If Ford turns around I am sure Bill will gain a new level of support he has not had yet.

I think that is Bills greatest virtue, and one of the biggest reason I support him as an interim CEO ...

HE will be damned before he takes this comoany down ... he has 100 years of family legacy, that would fall on him if he did, and you can trust him that he will do whatever is necessary to save it... whether he can implement this passion is another thing ... but he is still much better than many other options out there..Imagine York (Kerkorian's horse on GM board, and self proclaimed Auto Exec expert) in charge of Ford - the company would close in 2 days flat.

Igor

Edited by igor

Mark Fields will be CEO of Ford someday. It all depends on what happens over the the next couple of years or so. I think Ford should be Chairman of the Board, but he needs to turn day to day CEO business over to someone who has a lot of management experience. I would say however that Bill Ford probably HAS management experience at this point. He has been doing it since 2001. He has been trying to recruit over the past couple of years, but I think now, he has his mind on taking Field up to that position if he can prove himself with the Way Forward plan.

Yeah but it wouldn't have beens Ford's doing, it would be Fields and Ford taking credit for others people talent like Ghosn does. Ford needs to go he has had his chance and during that chance has ignored the greatest assett to a company, their products.

Ford needs to go he has had his chance and during that chance has ignored the greatest assett to a company, their products.

Yeah, who cares about the fact that quality has seemed to improved tenfold on all the new products and that all of the new products that have come out in the past couple of years have been VERY competitive?

The problem is applying the new processes to the old products to bring them up to the new standards. The new products seem to be top notch by almost anyone's assessment...and there's more of them on the way.

Yeah, who cares about the fact that quality has seemed to improved tenfold on all the new products and that all of the new products that have come out in the past couple of years have been VERY competitive?

The problem is applying the new processes to the old products to bring them up to the new standards. The new products seem to be top notch by almost anyone's assessment...and there's more of them on the way.

Their quality did approve and their new launches are good, but there is far more bad than good. The styling took a dump, the 500 and freestyle are the prophet of dull and boring, they took to long to bring out competitive engines; their quality is still not where it needs to be in terms of fit and finish and interior plastics. The corporate radio just signifies that they need to advance; they are just as bad if not worst than GM and DCX with their corporate radio. First the green lighting, is this 1980? Enough with the green lighting in the radios, time move on to modern times. Also a corporate radio should never get thrown into a luxury vehicle, like Lincoln and the Mark LT. They have fumbled product plans and it shows in the focus, the CV, the escape, the freestar and the ranger, all of those aren't competitive anymore and sell at a price point far below the competition or sell solely because they are for fleets. You can come out with new products but you can't forget about the ones you currently sell. Also the econolines, why must ford screw over family businesses with outdated van and piss poor fuel economy. Nissan may enter the full size van segment and what will happen to ford? Finally pay attention to it? Ford shouldn't count product life cycles in decades like they are doing with some of their vehicles. Also you say competitive, well that is good, but they never ever try to be class leading other than trucks. The Fusion is good, but not class leading, yeah it is cheaper than the Camry or accord but isn't it about time ford produce a product without the intent to discount it, then maybe it would actually sell at the same price compared to the competition. Now you have the new mid-size sedans emerging, will the fusion stack up to them? Ford focused on the current competition, the competition that was 4 and 5 years old not what was on the horizon when they launched the Fusion, will it even be able to compete? It certainly can on looks because it is finally a product that is not the dullest thing is history coming out of ford, but the question is will it be able to compete against products much better then their predecessors? Same with the 500, the Avalon sells for a lot more, if ford gave it a design and a competitive engine and a good interior it could sell them for thousands more like the Avalon but instead they must make a mistake before it heads them in the heads on what they should have done. Same thing happened o the freestyle. The edge is the first vehicle from ford that shows that they seem to get it. The fusion was close but no cigar, and then you have everything else. Lincoln and Mercury were pretty much allowed to die off under Bill, they received nothing that would attract people into the showroom, and right now they are dieing off, combined they barely manage to reach what Mercury sold alone back in 2000. Bill ford cannot rum a business like ford, first he should try running a much smaller company and see how that goes.

Edited by DCK

"Why rant and rave about by 2010 his company will be making 250,000 hybrids then a few months later scapping that idea."

Well, at the time, hybrids really did seem to be the way to go. However, new data comes in that dramatically changes the future business environment, and suddenly, what seemed the best solution appears to be less than ideal in comparison with new alternatives, like hydraulic launch.

Well, I'm pleased that there's somebody at the helm who has the courage to change course. When you consider the cost of replacement battery packs further on down the road, Ford may have avoided a major future headache with disgruntled customers recoiling from sticker-shock.

Bill can't win: either he's accused of dithering and wasting time, or he's accused of jumping too quickly; when he waxes in Lutzian loquaciousness, he's accused of drinking the bong water.

As to whether Bill and the gang can cut it, the die is cast, with the 2K7/2K8 product. We'll know, soon enough.

Bill Ford should be a distant President, as he is a prominent figurehead and a familial connection with the company's heritage, but a CEO he is not. He's been shuffled around the company over the years, serving briefly in various capacities in an effort to groom him, but that does not make him qualified to run such an enormously complex global business. I would rather see someone who wasn't born with a key to the executive washroom--someone who has proven his or her mettle by running a large business in a competitive, complex industry.

I think certainly, if his name wasn't on the building, he would have been forced out long ago.

Yeah but it wouldn't have beens Ford's doing, it would be Fields and Ford taking credit for others people talent like Ghosn does. Ford needs to go he has had his chance and during that chance has ignored the greatest assett to a company, their products.

Leadership ALWAYS takes credit for other people's talent under them. I have spent a lot of time in the military. When the Commander of a unit gets an award it is many times because people under him or her have done great things, yet he or she gets the credit. I know soldiers always make comments about that, but that is how it works. The world works that way. When Ford gets turned around for good, Bill Ford and Mark Fields will get the credit even though it takes a whole team effort to turn something around.

Anyhow Richard asked for names...Mark Fields...That is who I would like to see as the new CEO of Ford and Bill can stay Chairman of the Board but get out of day to day operations. It should not happen yet though. Bill and Mark need to stay where they are at for now. Once the worst is over and things start looking up for Ford, then it is time to make the change.

I think in one to two years it will be time to hand it over to Mark Fields depending on how things are going.

Such rejectionism.

If Ford's out, who's in?

Want to actually contribute something constructive? Suggest a different CEO.

No actually I don't, I am not sure who would be the best choice other than Fields who has the capability of turning the company around. I simply pointed out why Ford's needs to go, and yet you have problem with contributing?

First of all, where does this argument stem from. I keep hearing about him needing to be fired, but can someone explain why ? Such as, the basis for such a decision?

As it is, maybe now after a few years, we might be seeing results from decisions made years ago. I want to reitterate, in such large companies, you won't see results till 2-3 years, specifically on products.

And for those that wish him out, I ask, Why specifically? Is it some vehicles you want, is it a specific issues your trying to address, si it because your looking for results tomorrow, or he's made some decisions you dont like, or you want some product guru to be in charge?

Tell me...I'm not seeing much valid points here.

^^He is held responsible for the weak North American pipeline...

He did have a lot of sucess - and even NA operations improved dramatically under his guide - the pipeline went from 5 years to about 2.5 and no down to 18 months

The quality went up incredibly, post 2002 Fords are on par in reliability with any competitor.

However the actual product developed was not received well and the Na operations along with Jaguar keep losing money,

finally he was criticized for weak public presentation, retracting on promises and other press-public communication snafus.

Not saying that I agree with everything I just wrote, but that is how he is viewed.

Igor

Thats it?

There's much worse people in control out there, who've done sssooo much worse, and viewed soooo badly by sooooo many other people...

Personally, Bill Ford has nothing to worry about. What he is guilty of, requires the direction of other people. He's just the posterboy for the most part.

No actually I don't, I am not sure who would be the best choice other than Fields who has the capability of turning the company around. I simply pointed out why Ford's needs to go, and yet you have problem with contributing?

Fields hasn't proven himself yet. Best to make sure that the guy you're hiring is better than the guy you're firing.

And that's the point.

You say Bill Ford's got to go, I say, you can't send him on his way without replacing him, and I haven't seen a soul inside the company capable of taking the helm, and nobody outside the company that wants it.

Thats it?

There's much worse people in control out there, who've done sssooo much worse, and viewed soooo badly by sooooo many other people...

Personally, Bill Ford has nothing to worry about. What he is guilty of, requires the direction of other people. He's just the posterboy for the most part.

The simple fact is he is not getting the job done. Look at where Ford is now in the market place, very very bad.

Bill Ford should be a distant President, as he is a prominent figurehead and a familial connection with the company's heritage, but a CEO he is not. He's been shuffled around the company over the years, serving briefly in various capacities in an effort to groom him, but that does not make him qualified to run such an enormously complex global business. I would rather see someone who wasn't born with a key to the executive washroom--someone who has proven his or her mettle by running a large business in a competitive, complex industry.

I think certainly, if his name wasn't on the building, he would have been forced out long ago.

There is an old saying "the bottom line is the bottom line." Face it, how many execs would be allowed to oversee- now going on three- restructurings in six years if the man's name was not on the building.

Bystander, I agree that there needs to be someone running the company that worked in the trenches. This may even mean going outside of the company for a CEO. I do not think that Fields has what it takes to run the company- too much style and not enough substance.

Junior is the CEO of Ford, the Detroit Lions, and the Detroit Economic Club. He is proud of the appearances that he makes at local schools. if you ask me, he is spread way too thin- pick one of the four and that's it. He appears to surround himself with people that manipulate him and sell him a crock. Is it any conicidence that Ford and the Detroit Lions are in such bad shape. before you laugh at me and scorn me because they are businesses in two completely different segments- autos and entertainment- let's look at the bottom line. My point: bad management is bad mangement- period.

Ford needs someone that understands Business 101- if your market share is declining, you are not offering the product that the market wants. We need someone that is WITHIN the organization on a daily basis- not apart from it. Someone who is willing to spend 16 hours a day IN THE OFFICE 6 and 7 days a week working until things get turned around. Someone who knows how to smash bureaucracy and let people do thier jobs and release that creative freedom that the Women and Men of Ford have! We do not someone who is wearing so many hats that they are effective in nothing. And we certainly do not need a telecommuting President like Fields- someone who lives in Palm Beach full time. We need executives that know how to communicate to the lowest level of the organizations and not be too proud to eat in the same cafeteria that the "workers" eat in- not ones who read preprepared speeches in a movie-like set or have their 7 course gourmet meals in the executive dining room.

Face it. when Junior took over the reigns as board chairman about ten years ago, here is where Ford stood:

A market share within a couple points of GM

Leader in the midsize car category (Taurus)

Leader in the comact car category (Escort)

Leader in midsize SUV (Explorer)

Leader in compact pickups (Ranger)

Leader in the luxury car segment (Lincoln)

Leader in the full-size pickup category (F Series)

Today, Ford is leader in two segments; The F-series and Mustang. The Mustang will be challenged with the Camaro and Challenger. And despite the contrary, Ford seems willing to give up the leadership in full-size pickup sales. GM is planning full production at four and a half pickup truck plants with eyes toward expansion. GM would love to have their pickup as the world's best selling vehichle.

Fair or not, the heat flows to the person at the top. Judging from the above analysis, Junior has not been doing his job.