Official 2015 F-150 Release

I really wish they'd drop putting the shifter where they have it and instead put it on the column. Yes, it looks less 'sporty' but it's a truck, not a sports car. That shifter is needlessly taking up a ton of cup/storage space in a key location, all to maintain some visual pretense of sportiness. Can't tell what the front tow hooks are like, I hope they left enough space around them to actually be useful when hooking up to them when having gloves on. Also not sure I like the huge chomeish Platinum on the back tailgate...one has to wonder what that is going to be like for other drivers when the sun is behind it (plus I like the old school look of F O R D stamped on the back...would like to see a '78 look modernized).

Otherwise cool release, can't wait to see what the EPA numbers are for the 2.7L and the 5.0L. Are there any powertrain differences between a 2014 5.0L and 2015 5.0L? Will we be able to see what the weight reduction has done to the EPA numbers by comparing apples to apples?

The column shift and fold up console bench is going away? I am suprised by that if it is true.

I did not pay attention to the shifter much when looking at these, but my guess they are showing off interior of the higher end models. Currently the higher end models have the center console with the shifter in it, in a more work related trim package I am sure there will be a column mounted shifter just as currently optional dependent on the trim package and front seat package you purchase.

Unless Ford fumbles something on the engineering, quality or pricing of this truck, it should be a big enough hit to increase the F150's lead. I'm sure the ram and GM fans will make all sorts of beer can analogies and jokes, but if the mockery is not based on reality it will falter. I think it is important that Ford avoids introduction issues as to not feed those ready to pounce on its big changes.

On one of the news sites I saw this on, all of the comments were nothing but people complaining about how they think the paint isn't going to adhere to the aluminum. Seems many Mustang owners are experiencing that issue with the aluminum hoods and trunk lids. Any info on this?

The hood on the F150 has been aluminum since the 2001 model or even earlier, I do believe. So paint adhering won't be any bigger a problem now than in the past.

Unless Ford fumbles something on the engineering, quality or pricing of this truck, it should be a big enough hit to increase the F150's lead. I'm sure the ram and GM fans will make all sorts of beer can analogies and jokes, but if the mockery is not based on reality it will falter. I think it is important that Ford avoids introduction issues as to not feed those ready to pounce on its big changes.

If Ford was smart they'd partner up with the Air Force or something, have some footage of heavy lift aircraft loading tanks and shit. Will play into the average American mind.

• Like 1

Not sure on the push button. Honestly my thoughts on push button are that eventually, it's going to break/not work well. I'd rather just see the normal last forever without issue column shifter with OD On/Off at the end of it.

That's good news on the panel.

I guess they did have them on later years...just to me looked huge on the release photos.

I wasn't necessarily saying push button transmission was the way to go, just saying it's another option.

The column shift and fold up console bench is going away? I am suprised by that if it is true.

I'm assuming it is since their picture has a quasi "floor mounted" shifter in it. If that's in error or you can get that moved to the column, that's good news.

I'm sure it'll be as it's always been...lower trims will have a column shifter while upper trims have the floor shifter

I like them as well..but I do like having the console to lean on and store stuff in. catch-22

Not sure on the push button. Honestly my thoughts on push button are that eventually, it's going to break/not work well. I'd rather just see the normal last forever without issue column shifter with OD On/Off at the end of it.

That's good news on the panel.

I guess they did have them on later years...just to me looked huge on the release photos.

Don't see why they wouldn't last as long as any other buttons in a vehicle these days. The shift lever is doing the same things the buttons do anymore. It's just using a lever to "push the button" instead of individual buttons.

I like a place to rest my hand and elbow, so I do like having a shift lever.... otherwise I have an itching to hold my phone instead. And no, not everyone really holds their steering wheel at 10-2, 100% of the time...maybe for inclement weather driving they might.

I like a place to rest my hand and elbow, so I do like having a shift lever.... otherwise I have an itching to hold my phone instead. And no, not everyone really holds their steering wheel at 10-2, 100% of the time...maybe for inclement weather driving they might.

The new standard is 9-3 which better accounts for airbag deployment.

I'd be willing to bet the vast vast majority of king ranch and platinum buyers want the floor shifter and console.

I don't have a Platinum or KR, but I do have the column shifter, and the center console (w/ bucket seats).

I do wish the seat(s) had integrated arm rests (like a captains' chairs would) because the center console is right at the length of my forearm, and it's not as comfortable to rest my elbow and hold the wheel with the same arm (as it was in my Ranger). I do like the size/look of the console, and it's less intrusive than the fold down center seatback.

• Like 1

Just got back from the release here in Los Angeles. They featured a Ruby Red Platinum Supercrew 4X4. The event was part of a beautification project along the Los Angeles River in Studio City. The truck was beautiful. Especially loved the interior with soft touch surfaces everywhere. Even had a turbo boost gauge (3.5 eco). The dual panel moonroof makes it look very open and airy. After the press release, we all got to work to plant a few trees and clean up the hiking trails. Glad we did this in the morning before the afternoon heat set in.

• Like 1