2015 Expedition

Sky Pilot

Why has it been so difficult learning from Ford or press what to expect, and/or availability of next gen Expedition? My wife's '08 Expedition still around waiting for significant changes from Ford. Of all the vehicles in household Expedition seems to be the "go to" car. Confessing, I am planning on visiting a GM showroom as soon as their new full size SUV is available.

• Like 1

Why has it been so difficult learning from Ford or press what to expect, and/or availability of next gen Expedition? My wife's '08 Expedition still around waiting for significant changes from Ford. Of all the vehicles in household Expedition seems to be the "go to" car. Confessing, I am planning on visiting a GM showroom as soon as their new full size SUV is available.

Because they don't want to give the competition advanced notice of what they're planning to do. Almost all companies do this - GM is the exception.

Hopefully we'll know more as soon as the NAIAS.

• 2 weeks later...

The new F-150 is Ford’s first step in a broad strategy to shift all of its full-size truck bodies, including the F-250 and F-350 Super Duty pickups and the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator S.U.V.’s, to primarily aluminum construction over the next three years, Ford engineers said. The plan will create common manufacturing processes and tooling in Ford’s three United States truck plants.

“Ford is stepping out ahead of the other truck makers with the aluminum strategy,” said Richard Schultz of Ducker Worldwide, which tracks industrial materials usage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/automobiles/autoshow/the-f-150s-aluminum-diet.html?_r=1

Edited by Bryan1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Waloud ! We are getting antsy to replacing '08 Expedition. Been looking at currently avaiable full and mid sized SUV's. None seem to have all the things required by the primary Expy user, my wife! I shared with her the recently released pics of 2015 Navigator. Although an acceptable interior, we just can't warm to the front and rear of Navigators.........especially the rear! On my part, I hope Expedition offers 5.0 in lieu of 3.5EB as top choice. Until forced by coming CARB and mandated FED requirements, my personal fleet will consist of normally aspirated power plants until nothing optional performance wise. I'm yet to be convinced, shortened life and increased maintenance will result from fewer cubic inches of an puffed power plant.

If an aluminum clad 5.0 Expedition arrives in the next few months we will be the first in line........with or without the new tranny!

Sky Pilot

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone thinking we'll see the 2015 Expedition at Chicago today or tomorrow? If not where and when?

Good question! Maybe in Chicago but since Navigator will be there you don't want to distract with Expedition. New York? I think Edge would be better there. Who knows? Sometimes I think Ford will just fire off a press release with pictures anytime without an auto show.

• Like 1

New Exped to be on 2015 F150 chassis n all aluminum body to save 700+ lbs and offer both 5.0 V8 and 3.5 EcoBoost with 10-speed auto.

Should get high 20s to 30 mpg

May also get the little 2.7 v6 EvoBoost for 30+ mpg

Nite: Ford must move Exped Navi n SD to aluminum like F150 since they will ALL be based of common platform = F150...!

• 4 weeks later...

New Exped to be on 2015 F150 chassis n all aluminum body to save 700+ lbs and offer both 5.0 V8 and 3.5 EcoBoost with 10-speed auto.

Should get high 20s to 30 mpg

May also get the little 2.7 v6 EvoBoost for 30+ mpg

Nite: Ford must move Exped Navi n SD to aluminum like F150 since they will ALL be based of common platform = F150...!

Hope you are right........we've waited at least two years too long in replacing '08 Expedition hoping for substantive changes. Expy is the "go to" vehicle in our garages, and virtually the only ride of four Lady of the house utilizes. With great anticipation and research awaiting '15 reveal, I was less than overwhelmed by 2015 Expy Chicago showing. No 5.0, no new state of the art tranny, mild exterior/interior refresh, same Microsoft MySync rumored to become Blackberry based. After convincing wife there is an in kind alternative, we perused recently delivered 2015 Tahoe and Yukon at local dealerships. I had the itch and was not going to wait any longer in updating '08. Condensed version of weeks events and wife's observations and choices.......Yukon too square front and masculine appearing. Fold flat seats not quite flat due to live rear axle, a feeling of tall and ponderous when entering and exiting. Over to the Chevy dealership and look see at 2015 Tahoe.......better looking front end, same stepped up platform in fold flat seats, power running boards that don't quit blend when retracted, and shock when all boxes were checked for LTZ the bottom line exceeded $70k! For a Chevrolet SUV!!!

Continuing......in wife's garage now sits brand new 2013 Expedition Limited that had every possible option box checked. A hold over by dealership from 2013 model year and virtually identical to 2014's on lot. And, as/more importantly, deeply discounted MSRP ($11k)! For nearly $22k less money out if pocket, wife is tickled to death with a different color on her favorite vehicle, and I can continue hoping for that aluminum bodied, NA 5.0, 8-10 speed, full size SUV I had hope to see for 2017 model year!

• 2 years later...