Ford better wake up

coupe3w

I can't stand it any more. Everyone is putting Chevy LS 5.3 motors in Fords. Ford blew it when they came out with the MOD motor. It's to wide to fit in anything. Has no power without boost and cost a fortune to modify. Guys are putting 5.3 LS motors in Fox body Mustangs, and Fairmont's by the droves. Even have one guy put one with a turbo in a CV and runs 9's in the quarter. They are picking these things up real cheap in the junk yards and going fast. It really pisses me off. Don' believe me? Go to he track and see for yourself. See a fast Fox Mustang chances are it's Chevy powered.

Edited by coupe3w
  • Like 1

I can't stand it any more. Everyone is putting Chevy LS 5.3 motors in Fords. Ford blew it when they came out with the MOD motor. It's to wide to fit in anything. Has no power without boost and cost a fortune to modify. Guys are putting 5.3 LS motors in Fox body Mustangs, and Fairmont's by the droves. Even have one guy put one with a turbo in a CV and runs 9's in the quarter. They are picking these things up real cheap in the junk yards and going fast. It really pisses me off. Don' believe me? Go to he track and see for yourself. See a fast Fox Mustang chances are it's Chevy powered.

There is a reason why people use GM small blocks. They're very reliable, they're very cheap, they're compact (unlike any modern Ford motor) and can make great power for very low cost (unlike any modern Ford engine).

It's very simple really.

Also, the Coyote is the new swap queen since the last few years. It just love boost.

But, when my valve springs crapped on me last year, I'd loved to be able to buy a replacement engine from FRPP. But they only had those new 'BOSS' block 302, who costs a fortune.

Edited by 92LX302

Why would Ford be concerned with what powers cars that are over 20 years old?

Because this is what the kid and guys are doing. Why would you think it's okay to put a Chevy in a Ford? I just can't stand it. I bought a '34 3 window coupe back in '85. It had a chevy in it. It has a 5.0 in it now. So I saved one. So if Ford executives go to the track and see Mustangs going down the track chances are they have chevy motors in them. That is just so sad that they think they are all Ford powered. Not good in my opinion.

Also, the Coyote is the new swap queen since the last few years. It just love boost.

But at what cost? And you have to add a blower or turbo. More $$$$$

Ford needs an affordable small block, cam in block.

I would put a coyote in my '67 Mustang, but I have to cut the shock towers to fit it.

But, when my valve springs crapped on me last year, I'd loved to be able to buy a replacement engine from FRPP. But they only had those new 'BOSS' block 302, who costs a fortune.

Two problems Coupe:

1) 5.3 LS engines are cheap cheap cheap because there are hundreds of thousands of donors. Ford can't match that cheapness with a limited run of 'reissue' Falcon V8s.

2) I haven't seen any evidence that the small block Chevy's dominant position in the niche realm of resto-mods has benefited GM. These people are not opinion shapers for the larger market, and I have doubts that they have been at any point in time since the early 70s.

And finally, how is this any different than the 60s? During the 50s and 60s, guys were putting small block Chevy motors in 30 year old Fords because they fit. And, surprise, surprise, fifty years later, guys are putting small block Chevy motors in 30 year old Fords. The more things change....................

• Like 3

Two problems Coupe:

1) 5.3 LS engines are cheap cheap cheap because there are hundreds of thousands of donors. Ford can't match that cheapness with a limited run of 'reissue' Falcon V8s.

2) I haven't seen any evidence that the small block Chevy's dominant position in the niche realm of resto-mods has benefited GM. These people are not opinion shapers for the larger market, and I have doubts that they have been at any point in time since the early 70s.

And finally, how is this any different than the 60s? During the 50s and 60s, guys were putting small block Chevy motors in 30 year old Fords because they fit. And, surprise, surprise, fifty years later, guys are putting small block Chevy motors in 30 year old Fords. The more things change....................

I know Richard, I agree with your point 1. But still when the MOD and Coyote motors become more plentiful in the Junk yards they still don't fit well in anything older like my '67 with out cutting them up. This is exactly why the 5.3 is being put in everything.

2) I think it has. Why do you think the Camaro is out selling the Mustang? The 5.3 is cheaper to modify and does real well at the drag strip and road courses. ALMS series Corvettes wining.

3) It's not and that is exactly my point. Ford doesn't seem to care that guys are putting chevy motors in Fords and I think they should.

3) It's not and that is exactly my point. Ford doesn't seem to care that guys are putting chevy motors in Fords and I think they should.

Ford has ZERO control over what people do with their USED Fords. Ford is more than happy letting GM have that business while Ford concentrates on selling new vehicles profitably. What makes a great aftermarket/used motor does not necessarily make a great new vehicle motor. And that is not the reason that the Camaro is outselling the Mustang.

Ford has ZERO control over what people do with their USED Fords. Ford is more than happy letting GM have that business while Ford concentrates on selling new vehicles profitably. What makes a great aftermarket/used motor does not necessarily make a great new vehicle motor. And that is not the reason that the Camaro is outselling the Mustang.

Why though? I bet the swaps of Chevy motors into non GM cars is 10-1 (mostly Fords) and this id happening more and more since the MOD motor came out. I don't think that Ford is more than happy letting GM have this business, why have Ford Racing Parts then? I know if I was running Ford I wouldn't be to proud of having my cars with my name on them having chevy motors in them that's for sure. Oh then why is the Camaro out selling the Mustang? They cost about the same. It's because they out perform the Mustang in almost all aspects, performance and handling. They are also easier and cheaper to go faster and way easier to work on. One cam vs 2 or 4. You can't deny that.

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

....If Serious

LMAO

• Like 3

Oh then why is the Camaro out selling the Mustang?...They are also easier and cheaper to go faster and way easier to work on. One cam vs 2 or 4. You can't deny that.

It might also have something to do with the current Mustang being 4 years older than the Camaro. People own a typical car 9 years these day.

And again, what would you have Ford do about this? Produce engines that are far less efficient in their base trim (compare the fuel economy & power output of the 5.0L Ford truck engine with the 5.3L GM truck engine)?

does anyone, other than a few gears heads that don't buy new, really care?

Yes! You guy's just don't get it . These kids buy GM products and just love to shoot down Ford products. Winning has bragging rights. Do you really think these guys are buying new Fords? No, they are buying GM because they have a better motor. Don't see any MOD motors going in Camaro's do you? And this doesn't bother you? Then you guy's are not real Ford guys. Oh and Jimmy Johnson is on his way to his 6th NASCAR championship. More bragging rights for GM. I'm just sick of it that's all. Sorry if you guys don't think this is important to Ford. I do and I guess I must be in the minority. So sad.

Edited by coupe3w

Yes! You guy's just don't get it . These kids buy GM products and just love to shoot down Ford products. Winning has bragging rights. Do you really think these guys are buying new Fords? No, they are buying GM because they have a better motor. Don't see any MOD motors going in Camaro's do you? And this doesn't bother you? Then you guy's are not real Ford guys. Oh and Jimmy Johnson is on his way to his 6th NASCAR championship. More bragging rights for GM. I'm just sick of it that's all. Sorry if you guys don't think this is important to Ford. I do and I guess I must be in the minority. So sad.

I have a mod motor I wouldn't mind lining up against most of them. ;)

I get it! And it is very clear to me that Toyota is Ford's primary competition, not GM.

Up until recently, Camaro always had more power but Mustang outsold it. There is more to sales and performance than engine mods.

That is not true. Ford didn't have any Camaro competition from 2003 - 2009. The new gen Camaro came out in 2010 same year as the Mustang made a updated body and Ford did not outsell it from 2010 to present.

That is not true. Ford didn't have any Camaro competition from 2003 - 2009. The new gen Camaro came out in 2010 same year as the Mustang made a updated body and Ford did not outsell it from 2010 to present.

I'm talking about the 80s and 90s. Ford isn't in business to satisfy your need for bragging rights with your buddies. And that type of stuff just doesn't translate to new car sales. Neither does NASCAR or NHRA.

• Like 2

I'm talking about the 80s and 90s. Ford isn't in business to satisfy your need for bragging rights with your buddies. And that type of stuff just doesn't translate to new car sales. Neither does NASCAR or NHRA.

Hard to believe the Mustang GT in the year I bought my Cobra only had 215 horsepower. :hysterical: (I believe the Z/28 was 285 at the time.)

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1