Ford October 2013 Sales Results

So MKZ was up 80%, not 70% as noted in yesterday's article (nice). However, that's still only up 35 units from last month (so basically flat) after the ad blitz.

Optimism: With the ad blitz, I would assume brand awareness / inquiries have gone up (which may translate into higher November sales) or at very least, continue the consistent sales numbers. Almost 3k sales is nothing to scoff at in itself (and in reality, who knows what October sales would have been without the ads)

In the sales conference call, Ford mentioned that MKZ transaction prices have increased 63% compared to last year,

so not only have sales stayed up compared to September, the purchase prices are impressive too.

Mention was made of inventory levels being at 90 days but Ford feels that it is positioned well to meet increased

buyer levels anticipated to continue through November and into December.

I get the feeling that Ford wants to carry its inventory higher to be ready for sales increases early next year.

Also, Ford was having issues with 1.6 Ecoboost this time last year affecting deliveries of Fusion and Escape

so maybe the figures fill in a bit there but generally, Ford is working its super segment product shifts perfectly.

Navigator sold 954 units last month, that's a 20% increase over last year, put EBV6 / 5.0 in it and watch sales lift.

MKX had a good month with a solid 2200 sales, the refresh can't get here soon enough for it and the Edge originator.

Also change MKT form rounded Flex derivative to Explorer based derivative and watch sales lift too.

Lots of relatively inexpensive things Ford could do to change Lincoln's fortunes......

Edited by jpd80

The new GM pickups continue to not make much difference. The Silverado is up only 10% while the Sierra is up 13.3%. Meanwhile the not new F-series is up 12.9% The less new Ram Ram does continue to do pretty well with sales up 18%.

The Dodge Ram received an extensive update for 2013.

At local McDonald's, one of the regular seniors showed up in a brand new Fusion, replaced his Grand Marquis. The adage "you can sell a young man's car to an old man' is still true.

In a USA Today article about CUV sales, one senior swapped a Marq for Escape, saying "I'm over big cars".

Looks like the so called 'loyal' Mercury customers were retained after all! The 70% increase in Fusion sales recovered "lost" Mercurys. So much for the ''Ford must keep the Panthers forever'' that we heard for years leading to 2011 end of line.

I see a few old Marqs/PI's as suburban taxis, but hybrid Camrys, etc are taking their place. RIP Panther.

Edited by 630land

While Ford has no control over what those former Mercury buyer do and don't buy. it has control over is how its new products going forward are perceived.

I think that's where Ford has done an excellent job of growing Ford brand recognition and drawing buyers to it in the process. buyers who are prepared

to pay much higher prices for well equipped vehicles. The whole focus of Ford's products has changed for mostly down market fleet sales

to products retail customers want to buy - that has to be good for business.

The new GM pickups continue to not make much difference. The Silverado is up only 10% while the Sierra is up 13.3%. Meanwhile the not new F-series is up 12.9% The less new Ram Ram does continue to do pretty well with sales up 18%.

I vaguely recall hearing something about a supplier problem that was slowing down production of the new Sierraverado. Can anyone confirm that?

Also change MKT form rounded Flex derivative to Explorer based derivative and watch sales lift too.

Lots of relatively inexpensive things Ford could do to change Lincoln's fortunes......

I think it is safe to say 2014 (or 2015) is likely final model year for the Flex and MKT. Will there be an Explorer based Lincoln for 2015 or 2016 or are they just selling the Explorer in that segment until it is completely re-designed later in the decade?

Unless they deem the Flex and MKT to be profitable and popular enough for a complete re-design, but I'm not feeling it.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I think it is safe to say 2014 (or 2015) is likely final model year for the Flex and MKT. Will there be an Explorer based Lincoln for 2015 or 2016 or are they just selling the Explorer in that segment until it is completely re-designed later in the decade?

Unless they deem the Flex and MKT to be profitable and popular enough for a complete re-design, but I'm not feeling it.

Ford specifically aimed MKT at fleets as a Town Car replacement which fell flat and mostly on deaf ears as Liveries switched to

other vehicle makes but seemed to stick with Navigator - possibly why we're now seeing improved sales.

Ford specifically aimed MKT at fleets as a Town Car replacement which fell flat and mostly on deaf ears as Liveries switched to

other vehicle makes but seemed to stick with Navigator - possibly why we're now seeing improved sales.

The MKT is a dead man once the new Navigator come out. The EBv6 power/ mileage and capabilities of the Nav will attract retailers and high-end fleets alike.

The MKT is a dead man once the new Navigator come out. The EBv6 power/ mileage and capabilities of the Nav will attract retailers and high-end fleets alike.

I can understand how that makes sense but it leaves a huge gap in the range, both in size and price.

MKT (~$46K) fills a gap between the MKX (~$40K) and the Navigator (~$57K), so by that reasoning,

Lincoln needs a better version of MKT that's more like an Aviator SUV to sit between MKX and Navigator.

Edited by jpd80

I see a lot of MkTowncars in Chicago. Took one from the airport a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice. I wonder what kind of volume limo fleets represent however. It certainly doesn't seem like it could be enough to sustain a vehicle in it's own right.

there is a market for providing extendable versions to aftermarket converters, I believe Cadillac does that with XTS.- maybe Lincoln too with MKS or MKT.

Edited by jpd80

there is a market for providing extendable versions to aftermarket converters, I believe Cadillac does that with XTS.- maybe Lincoln too with MKS or MKT.

Lincoln has two versions of the MKT designed specifically for the taxi/livery market. IIRC, one basically has a taxi/livery-ready wiring harness, but the other is prepped for being extended. As I understand it, they've not gone over very well with the livery operators. It might help if there were a similar program for the MKS, but there's not.

Lincoln has two versions of the MKT designed specifically for the taxi/livery market. IIRC, one basically has a taxi/livery-ready wiring harness, but the other is prepped for being extended. As I understand it, they've not gone over very well with the livery operators. It might help if there were a similar program for the MKS, but there's not.

Just my opinion but I think Ford backed the wrong horse here, MKT/Town Car replacement needed to be more conservative and a sedan....

Edited by jpd80

Just my opinion but I think Ford backed the wrong horse here, MKT/Town Car replacement needed to be more conservative and a sedan....

I'd argue that Ford never intended for the MKT to go to fleets as a direct Town Car replacement, but only when sales for the vehicle didn't pan out as projected (or at least hoped), they went with a last-minute "knee-jerk" MKT as a Town Car replacement plan in order to hopefully increase sales volume.

I'd argue that Ford never intended for the MKT to go to fleets as a direct Town Car replacement, but only when sales for the vehicle didn't pan out as projected (or at least hoped), they went with a last-minute "knee-jerk" MKT as a Town Car replacement plan in order to hopefully increase sales volume.

Yes, Fleet redirection was a contingency plan after the fact. Horbury's design was a flop.

Edited by jpd80

My office is next door to LAX so I see MKT Town Cars daily. It seems like a perfect fit. When you look at any purpose-built taxi vehicle they always have odd proportions. Maybe MKT-TCs are slow selling because all the livery companies stocked up on Town Cars before they were discontinued?

Maybe, but I don't think Lincoln wanted either of them in that market, and Lincoln didn't need somewhere to send the MKS; it has, apparently, been selling well enough, and for high enough ATPs, that they can afford to mark time with it. The livery-ready MKTs came out so far behind the MKT itself that it was apparent that they were desperately seeking a niche for it.