Any 2015 Taurus knowledge?

I'm curios about a potential redesign since my wife is starting to favor buying a large sedan after being in the new Impala. There doesn't seem to be much on the web about the next generation. Does anyone know the platform to be used, release date, whether the nano or 9/10 speed auto is in the works? I've been thinking Lincoln, but if we move up in size from the MKZ, that brand is out of the price range.

I'm curios about a potential redesign since my wife is starting to favor buying a large sedan after being in the new Impala. There doesn't seem to be much on the web about the next generation. Does anyone know the platform to be used, release date, whether the nano or 9/10 speed auto is in the works? I've been thinking Lincoln, but if we move up in size from the MKZ, that brand is out of the price range.

The project was begun in November 2011 as a version of CD4 platform and will be basically an enlarged Fusion in length and width.

Interior hip, shoulder and rear leg room is said to be substantially increased over the existing car and weight will be only slightly greater

than the Fusion thanks to new technology and clever design. GM's new Impala and XTS reset the bar to higher standards but the next

Gen Taurus and MKS will go further.

There's a few pictures of a cobbled together mule on the net, but this is an early attribute prototype intended to set basic power train parameters

before the full bodywork and HVAC work begins. Look for more information on the Taurus/MKS early next year.

• Like 1

The new model is not due out until at least the 2016 model year. It will likely be the 2014-15 auto show cycle before they show anything.

Exactly, I forgot to explain that project timeline is start:November 2011 plus 3.5 years = mid 2015 CY delivery. as a 2016 year model

The project was begun in November 2011 as a version of CD4 platform and will be basically an enlarged Fusion in length and width.

Interior hip, shoulder and rear leg room is said to be substantially increased over the existing car and weight will be only slightly greater

than the Fusion thanks to new technology and clever design. GM's new Impala and XTS reset the bar to higher standards but the next

Gen Taurus and MKS will go further.

There's a few pictures of a cobbled together mule on the net, but this is an early attribute prototype intended to set basic power train parameters

before the full bodywork and HVAC work begins. Look for more information on the Taurus/MKS early next year.

I have to mention a little tidbit about the new 2014 Epsilon body Platform Impala. As we all have heard from the renowned so-called experts at Consumer Reports, the new Impala is the greatest car ever built...blah..blah..blah! Of course, it expected sales to rocket past the competition Taurus, LaCrosse, Avalon, Kadenza and Chrysler 300! Personally, I've seen only one on the road in my area and noticed they have over 136 new Impalas sitting at the local Chevy dealer!

However, I noticed that they were still selling about 20% less than last year at this time. Now, there are two reasons for this 1.) the 2013 Impala was offering $4000 rebates to clear inventory.....but MOST importantly I discovered a hidden secret that Consumers Reports and the rest of the Chevy lover sites FAIL to mention......2.) the 2013 Impala W-Body Platform was a fleet car...that means that 75% of the 2013 Impalas sold were NOT retail. Enter the 2014 New Impala....Priced much higher! Chevy decides to quietly continue to build the old W-platform to secure the fleet sales they would lose with the more expensive Epsilon Platform Impala. This way they keep the customers and can BOAST on how the NEW IMPALA IS SELLING WELL!

Take a look at how many NEW 2014 Epsilon Body Impalas sold in Canada in September ....240! Hmmmm! Canada has been building this Impala for many years! So, bottom line, we really won't see how bad the new, much more expensive Impala is doing since Chevy has it mixed with the old design Impala in their sales numbers!

GM Will Continue Selling W-Body Impala For Fleet Buyers - Autosavant | Autosavant

Edited by bobbyd

Ford gave up building huge numbers of Taurus for the fleet market years ago but it seems that GM has a hard time letting go with Impala.

Fusion has shown, that fleet sales can be valuable when done properly as a reflection of retail buying patterns,

no one would dispute that good residuals are as important to buyers as offering a well appointed vehicle.

So it looks like the D3 Taurus will be with us for another 18 months or so, I wonder what Ford's strategy will be

to keep sales going, weight and interior room are now becoming issues with selling the car opposite the new Fusion.

So it looks like the D3 Taurus will be with us for another 18 months or so, I wonder what Ford's strategy will be

to keep sales going, weight and interior room are now becoming issues with selling the car opposite the new Fusion.

Taurus (not including Police Interceptor sales) is actually up 8% for the year, even with the new Fusion (up 16% respectively) in the same showroom. Not sure of the total breakdown of fleet vs retail sales, but they are up slightly so far this year.

Taurus (not including Police Interceptor sales) is actually up 8% for the year, even with the new Fusion (up 16% respectively) in the same showroom. Not sure of the total breakdown of fleet vs retail sales, but they are up slightly so far this year.

Good point, the division of Taurus and PI sedan effectively isolates most of the fleet sales which should preserve residuals for retail buyers

(the resident "junior troll" thinks there's no difference between Taurus/Explorer and the PI vehicles)

Edited by jpd80

Good point, the division of Taurus and PI sedan effectively isolates most of the fleet sales which should preserve residuals for retail buyers

(the resident "junior troll" thinks there's no difference between Taurus/Explorer and the PI vehicles)

My God...if Ford said the earth was flat you would believe them.

It's so sad that you will just swallow the corporate line and not think for yourself. The fact is, the Taurus PI and Explorer PI are vastly unchanged from the civilian Taurus and Explorer. Very little is changed to make them into the Taurus PI and Explorer PI. I'm not fooled into thinking that by Ford not making the front doors open all the way, some changed trim pieces and some minor mechanical changes they have created an entire different vehicle. In fact, I will bet you dollars to doughnuts (pun intended) that the costs of making the front doors not open fully and those changed trim pieces were included in the development of the Explorer and Taurus.

It's so sad that you will just swallow the corporate line and not think for yourself. The fact is, the Taurus PI and Explorer PI are vastly unchanged from the civilian Taurus and Explorer. Very little is changed to make them into the Taurus PI and Explorer PI. I'm not fooled into thinking that by Ford not making the front doors open all the way, some changed trim pieces and some minor mechanical changes they have created an entire different vehicle. In fact, I will bet you dollars to doughnuts (pun intended) that the costs of making the front doors not open fully and those changed trim pieces were included in the development of the Explorer and Taurus.

blog+box+of+rocks.jpg

• Like 6

IIRC a rep told me the PI is more of edge/mkx suspension wise than a Taurus. I was also told, not sure if it's accurate, the Taurus body parts will not just bolt on to a PI car. They look the same to me, but supposedly they are different. I have not done a side by side.

your rep was wrong, Almost EVERYTHING will bolt on and swap to a current Taurus from a PI. Hell, Even older Taurus can bolt the suspension and cooling pieces on for upgrades.

• Like 1

FWIW, the wife and I just got back from a week driving the Blue Ridge Parkway to the OBX in a rental Taurus Limited and I walked away impressed. The car handled extremely well for its heft and chewed up the miles on the Interstates very comfortably. It was a pleasure to drive and averaged almost 27 mpg over 1,500 miles, including the mountains. The only minor gripes I have are the oddly shaped (cramped) footwell on the driver's side, and the seemingly inefficient use of some of the interior space. The ride/handling balance in the hills overshadowed these minor gripes, and the powertrain and seats were great. I know the platform is aging, but this is a nice car all around, especially considering how safe it is. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good large car at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

What do you expect Ford to do... Use a completely unique platform for the PI models? Would that even pay off? I'm thinking no and I don't see the point in it. It appears that they made enough changes to make them work well as police vehicles and that's all that matters. I own an Explorer and it doesn't bother me that there is a PI version of it. Mine looks a lot nicer with chrome, 20" rims, and other details. I honestly don't think the PI version of the Taurus or Explorer really hurts those vehicles. GM has had a police version of the Tahoe for years and it doesn't make me think any less of the Tahoe. Edited by 2005Explorer

I believe that the point he was making is that the PI's are reported separately from the Taurus and Explorer for sales purposes. I don't know if GM does that with the Impala.

• Like 1

I believe that the point he was making is that the PI's are reported separately from the Taurus and Explorer for sales purposes. I don't know if GM does that with the Impala.

Ok I see his point that the PI models could be counted along with the civilian models, however since Ford has changed the name on them for PI duty I guess they can count them separately. In any event it is not a huge deal.

• Like 2

If you would like an itemised list of the differences, I am ready willing and able...theres a LOT more differences than one would beleive from just looking at sheetmetal....LAPD was HEAVILY involved in pre production testing and supplied several significant suggestions which were utilized...,..

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

If you would like an itemised list of the differences, I am ready willing and able...theres a LOT more differences than one would beleive from just looking at sheetmetal....LAPD was HEAVILY involved in pre production testing and supplied several significant suggestions which were utilized...,..

Kinda like the difference between a Spitfire V and a Spitfire IX . . . which look almost identical; a lot of Luftwaffe fighter jocks made that mistake — once. :)

MkV

spit-Spitfire%20LF%20VCt.jpg

MkIX:

42553.jpg

• Like 1