2015 Mustang interior caught

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-mustang-2015.html

"Speaking of switches and knobs, we're pleasantly surprised to see that the new Mustang won't feature the controversial capacitive touch switches seen in some other recent Ford products. That said, the Mustang doesn't include the radio preset buttons that made a comeback in the Ford F-Series recently. "

Looks good!

Not liking the switchgear at all. If you're going to do toggle switches, at least make them metallic. And hopefully it's only the lighting, but I sure hope the rest of the buttons are closer to black than the gray they appear to be. As is, it looks more like the center console out of a 98 Grand Am. Agree with silversvt on the whole thing being too flat too. Don't like the little slots adjacent to the volume/tuner knobs either. Looks like they'd collect a lot of dirt. Actually, the entire console looks like it'd be a nightmare to keep clean.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 3

Not liking the switchgear at all. If you're going to do toggle switches, at least make them metallic. And hopefully it's only the lighting, but I sure hope the rest of the buttons are closer to black than the gray they appear to be. As is, it looks more like the center console out of a 98 Grand Am. Agree with silversvt on the whole thing being too flat too. Don't like the little slots adjacent to the volume/tuner knobs either. Looks like they'd collect a lot of dirt. Actually, the entire console looks like it'd be a nightmare to keep clean.

Well if they are smart, you'll either get them in higher trim models or hopefully aftermarket will fix that.

After looking at it some more, I'm sure that the front trim piece is missing. The volume/tuning knob looks really unfinished.

As is, it looks more like the center console out of a 98 Grand Am.

After looking at it for a few times I'd have to agree. I didn't want to pass judgement after first impression, but it looks cheesy. Just like the craptastic GM controls in the late 90's and early 2000's. Way too Transformer robotic. I love my F-150's buttons, wish they would have kept it cleaner.

• Like 2

While the switches and IP shapes are most likely the final placements, the finishes may not be. Gray may not be gray, shiny may not be shiny, etc...

I think you also need to look at what you CAN see in context to what you cannot see. If I saw just the edge of the MKZ center stack without the context of the rest of the dash, I would think it's pretty bleh as well. Turns out, it's a pretty nice looking piece.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Just really don't like the bulbous shape to the buttons. They really do look 90's GM to me. I think perhaps they are going a tad bit too far backward in overcompensating for people complaining about the complete lack of buttons in some of the MFT-equipped models. I'm okay with the return of buttons, but something much more flush-fitting I think would look far nicer.

• Like 2

Have a few thoughts....

Looks like they will offer a push button start-no surprise there and think it should be standard across the board.

How do you turn the heater on? I don't see any blend options between fresh air vents and heat-much prefer the dial or buttons that highlight the airflow and allow you to direct it accordingly.

The steering wheel like a lot of new products is awfully busy. My preference is to clean up some of the redundant controls by hiding them on the back of the wheel. Cleans up the steering wheels a lot.

Prototypes often have all manner of donated bits from the corporate parts bins.

I'd be fine with that explanation if any of those parts resembled anything seen before in other Ford vehicles. They're not though.

I'm sure the final work will look better, but so far I'm not wowed. The last gen Mustang center console never really won me over either.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

On the HVAC are those dials on each side redundant fan speed and temperature controls? I see a button for the fan speed, but I think knobs or dials are more intuitive than pushing and perhaps holding down a button to adjust the fan speed and/or temperature. Otherwise its hard to say based on the very partial view.

I the 05+ Mustang interior I thought had the most character. Though during my 2 weeks in a rental the current Mustang Interior grew on me and is far more refined.

The rear side windows I realize are obstructed but they look smaller. The back seat is interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not getting a new platform because (caution rant follows)

Because Ford understands its responsibilities to its retirees, to its employees and to its shareholders. Ford, unlike some automakers I can think of, is not going to expend resources on a vanity project in the hopes that it will either 1) fool buyers into purchasing a less competent vehicle or 2) that profits from it will make up for less profitable sales of other higher volume product. Oh, sure, Ford listens too much to 'bean-counters'------a complaint that you'll hear from people that have absolutely nothing at stake in the success of Ford Motor-----and they won't give a high profile lower volume product like the Mustang a brand new platform every six years. But you can either put your stakeholders first or you can put your ego first. And the company that has pursued the most conservative path on the 'pony car' is, not coincidentally, the healthiest US auto maker, possibly the healthiest outside of Toyota and Honda, and has had an uninterrupted 50 year run of pony cars, unlike some other car companies I could mention.

• Like 1

It's not getting a new platform because (caution rant follows)

well how about we call it significantly improved? I'd venture to say that putting in IRS into the back of the car (even though it was designed outright for it in the first place if things are to be believed) is a pretty major undertaking, along with shrinking the overhangs and belt lines. I'm going to assume that the safety cell (area from the firewall to C-pillar) hasn't changed that much outside of the roof maybe slightly shrinking down a bit to keep it proportional to new, lower belt line on the car.