Ford up 6%, Industry reports September sales

Ford Motor Company U.S. Sales Up 6 Percent, Outpacing Industry for Best September Since 2006

• Ford Motor Company posts best September sales since 2006
  • Fusion up 62 percent and Fiesta up 29 percent, setting record September sales
  • F-Series posts fifth-straight month above 60,000 sales
  • All-new Lincoln MKZ posts best-ever September sales – up 12 percent

Download Full Sales Release (PDF)

Ford Motor Company sales totaled 185,146, delivering its best September since 2006 with a 6 percent increase in the U.S., outpacing the industry and marking Ford’s 11th consecutive month of year-over-year sales increases.

“The combination of great styling, fuel economy and value delivered another solid monthly result for Ford in September,” said Ken Czubay, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “We’re particularly encouraged by the strength of the Fusion and Fiesta, especially in coastal markets. The F-Series also keeps delivering, with our fifth-straight month surpassing the 60,000-vehicle mark and continuing as America’s best-selling vehicle.”

September Ford Fusion sales of 19,972 are up 62 percent compared with a year ago. Through the first nine months of the year, Fusion retail sales are experiencing their strongest rate of growth in the west, up 59 percent. In the southeast, Fusion is up 26 percent.

September Ford Fiesta sales of 5,043 are up 29 percent over last year, marking Fiesta’s best September sales performance ever. Through the first nine months of this year, Fiesta’s largest retail sales market is in the west, which is growing at the fastest rate of all of Fiesta’s markets – up 41 percent.

Posting a 26th consecutive monthly sales increase and its fifth-straight month above the 60,000-vehicle sales mark, F-Series sales were 60,456, up 10 percent.

The all-new Lincoln MKZ posted its best-ever September with 2,874 sold, up 12 percent compared with September last year. MKZ has reported record sales for five of the last six months.

It is going to be nip and tuck this month for the sales lead. if I recall, Toyota just beat out for the second las month, GM's day as lead leader of the pack maybe be coming to an end again with Ford being within 2000 vehicles a with fewer brands.

Looks like was wrong Toyota sales down compared to a year ago

Edited by pictor
  • Like 1

It is going to be nip and tuck this month for the sales lead. if I recall, Toyota just beat out for the second las month, GM's day as lead leader of the pack maybe be coming to an end again with Ford being within 2000 vehicles a with fewer brands.

Looks like was wrong Toyota sales down compared to a year ago

I actually think GM was at a short term bottom last month (or will be this month). After that, they will pull away again until the all new F150 hits the market. Edited by 03 LS

MKZ outsold ATS and CTS...again.

This is very interesting...I can understand lackluster CTS sales, given that its sales are being cannibalized by the ATS, and a new version is scheduled to debut very soon. But I honestly thought that the ATS would turn in a better performance. I guess most people who are in the market for a 3-Series competitor simply buy the real thing.

Looking at Escape sales how are they going to maintain those numbers plus have the MKC? Escape is looking to hit almost 300K in sales in the U.S. alone.

You're only talking about a few thousand MKC's a month, or about 10-15% of Escape volume. If it comes down to Ford trading Escape volume for higher-margin MKC volume, the decision there is easy.

Looking at Escape sales how are they going to maintain those numbers plus have the MKC? Escape is looking to hit almost 300K in sales in the U.S. alone.

The entire segment is hot. There is room for both, provided there is enough differentiation between the two vehicles.

The Fiesta sales could be viewed as a truly changed retail methodology by Ford. Here is a car that is one of if not the leader in its European segment that has (if not always) shown a certain flare for being an engaging small car. Brought back to the American market after a nearly 30 year hiatus. Incidentally our family had a '80 Fiesta S passed among us ah enthusiastic boys; fun, fun, dependable little car!

Instead of being another forgotten European bastard however, Ford has shown fortitude in not only continuing to improve the product, but also by not over building and dumping them at a discount. This steady consistency is what built Japan Inc (and now the S.Koreans), it’s refreshing to see a US Ford small car product given careful sales development that could mean eventual market segment domination.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

The Fiesta sales could be viewed as a truly changed retail methodology by Ford. Here is a car that is one of if not the leader in its European segment that has (if not always) shown a certain flare for being an engaging small car. Brought back to the American market after a nearly 30 year hiatus. Incidentally our family had a '80 Fiesta S passed among us ah enthusiastic boys; fun, fun, dependable little car!

Instead of being another forgotten European bastard however, Ford has shown fortitude in not only continuing to improve the product, but also by not over building and dumping them at a discount. This steady consistency is what built Japan Inc (and now the S.Koreans), it’s refreshing to see a US Ford small car product given careful sales development that could mean eventual market segment domination.

Pretty much sums up what Ford has been trying to accomplish with the entire brand. That it has trickled all the way down to the Fiesta shows that they are committed to the strategy.

On a side note, my girlfriend and I saw a Green Envy '14 Fiesta at the dealer the other day and she said "oooo I think I want that." :)

I love the percentages on the CMax. I know it was just being introduced last year, but there's just something about seeing a 2815.8% year-over-year increase in sales. ;)

Ranger and Crown Vic are WAY down though. Not sure how much longer they'll last.......

• Like 7

I love the percentages on the CMax. I know it was just being introduced last year, but there's just something about seeing a 2815.8% year-over-year increase in sales. ;)

it sure looks like a nice number for the C Max. And both police units seem to be doing well. Keep in mind all these numbers are impressive since most of Labor Day weekend fell into September's numbers and there were 2 less selling days this year.

On a side note, my girlfriend and I saw a Green Envy '14 Fiesta at the dealer the other day and she said "oooo I think I want that." :)

Green Envy seems to live up to its name. I agree that it's a very eye catching color. :)

green_envy_fiesta.jpg

Edited by aneekr

Plant is running three shifts, sales are dropping away over the fall and winter,

so this is a great time to build out inventory so that there is production room

for the new MKC. Bottom line -Start off Spring with big inventory and trade on it.

GM September sales:

Chevrolet 127,785

GMC 29,959

Buick 15,623

Cadillac 13,828

Total GM 187,195

Edited by jpd80