The Titanium's in the shop. Liftgate and sensors.

boudhaquebec

Hi everybody,

I had noticed a while back that my liftgate was rubbing on my bumper when closing. Not a lot but enough to scratch the bumper. You dont really see the misalignment by eye.. Showed it to my dealer on my last oil change and the bobyshop guy said I was the second Escape with that problem, Now it's in the shop for adjustement , repaint the bottom of the gate and change the rear bumper..

They're supposed to address the sensor problem again... I hope they find the problem... If not, I'll make a nice little video to share....Cant take it anymore...

They lent me a new Focus... Not bad, It.s just like a baby Escape.....

• 3 months later...

When I picked up my brand new 2014 titanium today the rear liftgate did not actvate when passing my foot under the bumper. Malfunction right off the production line. The lead mechanic said the sensor has to be replaced. Bummed because this is a replacement vehicle for one I bought 4 days ago which had major water intrusion watermarks on both A pillars. :sad: :redcard::rant::banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angry2: Ford quality is not what I thought it would be!

The rear lift gate with the foot swipe did not function. Well, this afternoon it worked! And I think I know why. In order for the lift gate to work you have to have the key fob on your person. If it is not on you it will not work. It's that simple. This despite having a Ford dealer senior master technician unable to figure it out, and he does new owner orientation for MFT. Go figure.

The rear lift gate with the foot swipe did not function. Well, this afternoon it worked! And I think I know why. In order for the lift gate to work you have to have the key fob on your person. If it is not on you it will not work. It's that simple. This despite having a Ford dealer senior master technician unable to figure it out, and he does new owner orientation for MFT. Go figure.

Why would anybody think this function would work without the key fob on your person????? WOW.

• Like 1

Why would anybody think this function would work without the key fob on your person????? WOW.

I know I personally would really like it to work when the vehicle is unlocked. Often my girlfriend and I will be loading/unloading the car together, both from the back seat and the trunk. And it's annoying when the tailgate won't hands free open when the vehicle is unlocked and the key is right there 3 feet away at the back seat door.

Also, I wish if I was at the trunk with the key, and she went to go get in the vehicle, that it would unlock for her. But since I have the key, and I'm by the trunk, and she's by the door, it won't unlock for her.

Little things, but it would be nice if it responded more like "if the key is sensed to be in the vicinity of the vehicle, the doors will lock/unlock and the tailgate will hands free"

My guess is the sensor is only activated after the key is sensed. Otherwise it would have to be active the entire time the vehicle is unlocked. Since it has to sense the key anyway for locking/unlocking purposes it was probably easier just to tie it to the sensor.