Is This Considered "Normal" Wear

Escapism

Took the air hose and blew out my interior today. Works really well as far as getting all the "stuff" out of the nooks and crannies. Anyway, the sun was just right and I noticed the drivers seat where I sit is starting to fray. car is exactly 1yr and 1 week old, 21500 miles. Is this something I should take in and have looked at? I mean, all I do is get in, drive, and get out of that seat. My last vehicle was a 2001 and the seats looked fine. Also, did they stop making the sport stitching seats in 2014? Just want to make sure as far as parts replacement.

post-48549-0-58503700-1379531956_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-74105900-1379531958_thumb.jpg

Just like anything, a harder material will wear down a softer material. Do you usually wear jeans with stiching around the back pockets and is that where your wallet would always be? I wear Docker style pants to work and golf, which is a softer fabric than the seats, and jeans on weekends, maybe that's why mine don't show any wear after 1 year. It can't hurt to take it to the dealer to inquire.

Just like anything, a harder material will wear down a softer material. Do you usually wear jeans with stiching around the back pockets and is that where your wallet would always be? I wear Docker style pants to work and golf, which is a softer fabric than the seats, and jeans on weekends, maybe that's why mine don't show any wear after 1 year. It can't hurt to take it to the dealer to inquire.

Always take my wallet out. Don't like sitting on it. Done that no matter what car I'm in and no matter what seat I'm in.

Jeans? Like, most of America, and I dare say the world, wears jeans a lot of the time. I can hear the lawyers now. "But your Honor, the plantiff was wearing JEANS"!!! A slight smirk crosses the Fords lawyers face. The judge gasps in horror and yells "CASE DISMISSED!!".

Edited by Escapism
  • Like 1

Hey Man, you asked and I answered with a possible cause, you don't have to be so snarky about it. To answer your question, that will be considered normal wear, it's something you are doing to damage the fabric, so you're out of luck.

By the way, I read post #15 in the liftgate alignment thread before you edited it and took out the undeserved put down.

Edited by transitman

Whatever caused it my guess is the dealer will call it normal wear. Hopefully my SEL full leather/ vinyl will hold up better even if they may not be as comfortable as the 2013 leather/cloth seats.

While it is entertaining how about a truce Transitman and Escapism? Cut each other a little slack.

Edited by Ticmxman

Hey Man, you asked and I answered with a possible cause, you don't have to be so snarky about it. To answer your question, that will be considered normal wear, it's something you are doing to damage the fabric, so you're out of luck.

To say that jeans are the culprit after 1 year is ridiculous.

Some replies to my post in another Escape forum:

"I would - without hesitation - bring that to my dealership and ask for a solution. When my 09 was plagued by that white stain issue, the two presented options were to deal with it (and get leather installed on my own) or do a same-part replacement. I asked if I could pay the difference if Ford would installe leather in place. Nope..."

"get it checked!! Heck my 05 does not look anything like that!! Only thing I notice is a little sagging of the foam on the outside edge on mine."

"Does your car have any kind of warranty left on it? I'd be a little upset if my 1 year old car was doing that - bring it to dealer."

Edited by Escapism

Whatever caused it my guess is the dealer will call it normal wear. Hopefully my SEL full leather/ vinyl will hold up better even if they may not be as comfortable as the 2013 leather/cloth seats.

While it is entertaining how about a truce Transitman and Escapism? Cut each other a little slack.

A truce is fine with me, But this blind "Ford can do no wrong" attitude has got to stop.

And isn't one of the reasons we are here is to find solutions to our problems? Or just plain share information and fun stuff and mods?

• Like 2

A truce is fine with me, But this blind "Ford can do no wrong" attitude has got to stop.

And isn't one of the reasons we are here is to find solutions to our problems? Or just plain share information and fun stuff and mods?

Can't disagree with any of this, but all forums will have there fan boys and I'm probably guilty of this at times.. Just ignore when you can. Hopefully your dealer will step up and fix the seat.

It is a valid point that some belts, pants could be more abrasive than others. But the seats should hold up to some degree...how much is the question. I recall one recliner I had that had a lot of wear at the belt line that lead to its demise.

Edited by Ticmxman

I have full leather in my titanium and have noticed some wear already on my drivers seat and have only had the Escape for 8 months. Also on my passenger seat (which is used maybe once a week tops) I've notice a decent amount of slack forming on the side bolster that is close to the drivers side. Thought that to be pretty odd. I'll take a pic of it and post soon

Ouch, if this is normal, as with some of the wear issues others also described, then this is simply poor material or quality. The cloth seats in my F150 with 51K miles don't look this bad nor show wear signs. problem with the F150 cloth seats, they stain from damn rain water.

Edited by V8-X

Ouch, if this is normal, as with some of the wear issues others also described, then this is simply poor material or quality. The cloth seats in my F150 with 51K miles don't look this bad nor show wear signs. problem with the F150 cloth seats, they stain from damn rain water.

If you use your F-150 like my buddies do then it's not the rain water staining the seats but all the cr@p that is getting washed in when the rain water runs down into the cab

Here are my seats

image_zpsd6e41022.jpg

The hardly used passenger seat that is starting to show slack out of now

image_zps346b96f8.jpg

Random mark on my passenger seat rear that I had documented at delivery of my vehicle

image_zps9bc99eca.jpg

Driver's side left lower seat showing wrinkles and wear more so than any other seat. Understand it's used most but as previously stated have the Escape for less than a year

If you use your F-150 like my buddies do then it's not the rain water staining the seats but all the cr@p that is getting washed in when the rain water runs down into the cab

Nope. The truck is babied, practically always clean and sits in the garage the majority of time. I'm talking about straight rain that comes in the passenger windows (does not run down roof or window) and hits the seats. This is a major gripe on F150 forums. Can see how in your buddies scenario this could happen.

Elf: Looks like El Cheapo leather if you're already experiencing those wrinkles and slack, unless you are plain hard on your seats. Had a similar issue with the leather in the '99 Explorer Limited we owned, didn't have this issue with the '02 F150 Lariat.

Edited by V8-X

Took it by the dealer and the SA said he will forward the pictures I sent him to Ford's mothership. Dropping it off on Monday. He also said if it was his car he would be concerned as well, with the car being only 1 year old. Bonus is he is going to update my PCM to the latest calibration. Also said MyTouch has an update. I was confused because I did the last update to V3.6.2 and reported a successful install. So we will see about that one.

Took the air hose and blew out my interior today. Works really well as far as getting all the "stuff" out of the nooks and crannies. Anyway, the sun was just right and I noticed the drivers seat where I sit is starting to fray. car is exactly 1yr and 1 week old, 21500 miles. Is this something I should take in and have looked at? I mean, all I do is get in, drive, and get out of that seat. My last vehicle was a 2001 and the seats looked fine. Also, did they stop making the sport stitching seats in 2014? Just want to make sure as far as parts replacement.

That looks just as bad as the early wear and tear on the trunk liner that ford says is normal...... I totally would complain though. My old 2010 Ford Fusuon Hybrid had really bad wear and tear on the leather early on. Ford was never willing to admit there was an issue though.

Took it by the dealer and the SA said he will forward the pictures I sent him to Ford's mothership. Dropping it off on Monday. He also said if it was his car he would be concerned as well, with the car being only 1 year old. Bonus is he is going to update my PCM to the latest calibration. Also said MyTouch has an update. I was confused because I did the last update to V3.6.2 and reported a successful install. So we will see about that one.

Did you ask them to check the rough idle while you were there?

That looks just as bad as the early wear and tear on the trunk liner that ford says is normal...... I totally would complain though. My old 2010 Ford Fusuon Hybrid had really bad wear and tear on the leather early on. Ford was never willing to admit there was an issue though.

Did you ask them to check the rough idle while you were there?

I didn't specifically ask about the rough idle, although I should have.

Excellent news Escapism, glad I was wrong and kudos to Ford and the service department you use! Please tell us what dealership it is so they can get some credit and business from others in your area.

Also let us know about the other updates your dealer service department mentioned they would do.

Edited by Ticmxman

Also let us know about the other updates your dealer service department mentioned they would do.

Funny you should mention that. My reciept does not say exactly what update they did. I already did the major update to V3.6.2 some time ago and reported it as a successful install. I think the dealer just did the same thing. Which of course means that your Sync account and the dealership don't connect. I checked my sync accounts software history and it only goes up to when i did the install. I am going to run a vehicle health report to see if that updates it and compare the info to see if they actually did anything useful or just erase all my presets for nothing.

I am happy that Ford did the right thing and stepped up. I don't know if i should have the new seat installed or just completely wear out the old one first. If they have to install the new one I'm going to ask for the old one back if they will give it to me.

I am happy that Ford did the right thing and stepped up. I don't know if i should have the new seat installed or just completely wear out the old one first. If they have to install the new one I'm going to ask for the old one back if they will give it to me.

Most likely they won't give it back, at least from my experience when an item has been warrantied out. Pay for yourself and sure they'll let you keep the old one.