Clearcoat on black rims peeling :>(

sweez

Anyone else having issues with peeling clearcoat on their rims? My car is only 4 months old and I love it but I am a bit concerned. Only use car was soap and microfiber mitt to clean. No chemicals no carwashes. All four wheels doing it at different levels of severity. Seems like a bonding issue. Will probably get a hard time and they will blame on chemicals... They looked sharp for the first 4 months.

Also little pieces of trim between "wing" windows and main front windows (both sides) keep popping out.

Lastly the LED(?) light for my "9-0" keyless entry digits doesn't light anymore.

On a positive note getting 35.9 MPG lifetime (8,000 miles) with my 1.6 manual.

Forgot to ask if it's just me, but my trip 2 MPG calculation seems to be exactly the same as my trip one and changes when I reset trip one. Seems to me if they bother to have the two available, they should reflect the calculations based on the last time each one was reset. Am I being too picky?

If I take a trip, it would be nice to know my mileage for the whole trip (trip 2) and I always reset trip 1 each fillup. Calculation is pretty close to actual manual calculation, maybe a tad optimistic but within a mile or two. I slow nozzle down to slowest setting and remove at first click every time so I think I'm being fairly consistent in my calculations.

I haven't heard of any one else with the same problem with their wheels. Mind taking a picture or two? Ditto for the LED 9-0 keyless entry lights. For the trim piece, there were several people who had similar issues. That said, I think a trip to the dealer for all three issues would be a good idea.

I routinely use trip 1 for each fill up and trip 2 as a "running" tally of my MPG, so it should work that way. Not sure why it's not working that way for you. Also, for filling up, to get the most gas in, you should do the 3 click method (which is in the owner's manual). I can usually get another .5-.75 gallons in that way. As long as you always do the 3 click method you will also be consistent with your calculations. For me, my hand calculations comes out just a bit lower than the computer.

Trip 1 and trip 2 should be totally separate. Have the dealer check the wheels - it may be a known problem and if so they should replace them. If you're the only one then it might be difficult. First one I've heard.

The gallons used and the miles traveled are separate but not the MPG. As soon as I reset trip one, the MPG for trip 2 goes to 41 MPG - that's how I first noticed it.

I will try and take some pictures, going to be tough with black glossy wheels. Raining today which will make it harder.

The gallons used and the miles traveled are separate but not the MPG. As soon as I reset trip one, the MPG for trip 2 goes to 41 MPG - that's how I first noticed it.

I will try and take some pictures, going to be tough with black glossy wheels. Raining today which will make it harder.

I think that was a software bug that was fixed early on.

I haven't heard of any one else with the same problem with their wheels. Mind taking a picture or two? Ditto for the LED 9-0 keyless entry lights. For the trim piece, there were several people who had similar issues. That said, I think a trip to the dealer for all three issues would be a good idea.

I routinely use trip 1 for each fill up and trip 2 as a "running" tally of my MPG, so it should work that way. Not sure why it's not working that way for you. Also, for filling up, to get the most gas in, you should do the 3 click method (which is in the owner's manual). I can usually get another .5-.75 gallons in that way. As long as you always do the 3 click method you will also be consistent with your calculations. For me, my hand calculations comes out just a bit lower than the computer.

Here are the pics I took showing all my issues. The rim post-49742-0-59943600-1378834665_thumb.jpg one is tough to get but I put a grey circle around it. The dealer says he will have to take pictures and send to Ford for approval. His first question was "what do you use to clean your rims". This might be a pain....

post-49742-0-99988000-1378834673_thumb.jpg

trip 2 before reset post-49742-0-60517200-1378834663_thumb.jpg

trip 1 after reset post-49742-0-48176500-1378834671_thumb.jpg

and trip 2 after reset post-49742-0-52598500-1378834668_thumb.jpg

When I reset trip 1 the average MPG for trip 2 changes to 99.99 until I start driving then it matches the average for trip 1 exactly. Distance, time and gallons used stay unique.

Edited by sweez

Here is pic of keyless keypad with the 9-0 not lighting anymore...

post-49742-0-19216300-1378834922_thumb.jpg

Did you use a rim chemical cleaner or some sort (they have acid in it)? If you did and left it on there for to long it will actually burn the rims causing that. Also never use those rim chemical cleaners on painted rims cause over time and use of it (even if you wash it off quick) it will burn the rims.

Edited by lengend

Did you use a rim chemical cleaner or some sort (they have acid in it)? If you did and left it on there for to long it will actually burn the rims causing that. Also never use those rim chemical cleaners on painted rims cause over time and use of it (even if you wash it off quick) it will burn the rims.

Anyone else having issues with peeling clearcoat on their rims? My car is only 4 months old and I love it but I am a bit concerned. Only use car was soap and microfiber mitt to clean. No chemicals no carwashes. All four wheels doing it at different levels of severity. Seems like a bonding issue. Will probably get a hard time and they will blame on chemicals... They looked sharp for the first 4 months.

I'm sorry, for as short as he's had the car and whether or not he's used any chemicals on the rims or not, they should not be looking this way so early in life. Sure, I could see extended long term use of chemicals creating this issue, but we're talking about a 4mo old vehicle. And he stated he hasn't used any chemicals, so I'd chalk this up to bad quality and should be due a new set of rims from Ford.

I'm sorry, for as short as he's had the car and whether or not he's used any chemicals on the rims or not, they should not be looking this way so early in life. Sure, I could see extended long term use of chemicals creating this issue, but we're talking about a 4mo old vehicle. And he stated he hasn't used any chemicals, so I'd chalk this up to bad quality and should be due a new set of rims from Ford.

Nope, no chemicals of any kind, not even a "touch free" car wash. The good news is I showed my local Lincoln Dealer (Ford is too far away) and he said Ford will cover once he takes pictures of them and sends the pics in. He wasn't sure about the window trim and the keyless entry keypad lights but is checking. I will keep you posted.

Nope, no chemicals of any kind, not even a "touch free" car wash. The good news is I showed my local Lincoln Dealer (Ford is too far away) and he said Ford will cover once he takes pictures of them and sends the pics in. He wasn't sure about the window trim and the keyless entry keypad lights but is checking. I will keep you posted.

Good luck, and IMHO, yes Ford should cover the window trim and keyless entry lights too.

The dash message center light on my F150 went out during the 3yr/36K mile warranty and Ford replaced. Also, if the trim or parts are defective (not due to abuse or accident), Ford should replace them under warranty. Another example, the blue oval grille emblem started to fade and bubble in certain area's on the F150 and Ford replaced under warranty. If they (Lincoln dealer) refuses, take it to the Ford dealer or another dealer.

• Like 1

I think that was a software bug that was fixed early on.

akirby, do you know of anyway I could look up the TSB or whatever for the trip computer avg. MPG calculation being off? My dealer said he looked and didn't see anything on his system.

The wheels, trim pieces and keypad module have been ordered. Hopefully replacing the keypad won't create a bunch of rattles and squeaks in my driver's door.

Thanks to all!

• 3 months later...

Update....

Everything was warrantied and wheels replaced in August. Washing car by hand in November and what do I see on my driver's side rim? Yep a spot where the clearcoat is peeling.

Dealer I first went to has closed so it's back to square one with a new dealer and trying to get some resolution. Others MUST be having same issues, but supposedly Ford says they have no idea. This has to be a bad batch of rims or something. Of course only one peeling at the moment and I'm sure if I wait for the other three, they will blame it on the winter.

Love the care, but this blows...

Tires are no bargain in the snow either. Just a bit of slush and she wants to go straight rather than turn. Guess my "all season" tires only apply to all seasons South of the Mason Dixon Line... LOL

Update....

Everything was warrantied and wheels replaced in August. Washing car by hand in November and what do I see on my driver's side rim? Yep a spot where the clearcoat is peeling.

Dealer I first went to has closed so it's back to square one with a new dealer and trying to get some resolution. Others MUST be having same issues, but supposedly Ford says they have no idea. This has to be a bad batch of rims or something. Of course only one peeling at the moment and I'm sure if I wait for the other three, they will blame it on the winter.

Love the care, but this blows...

Tires are no bargain in the snow either. Just a bit of slush and she wants to go straight rather than turn. Guess my "all season" tires only apply to all seasons South of the Mason Dixon Line... LOL

Hmmm. If the dealer has closed, could it be they were doing some bad work in their final death throes and actually gave you a poorly repaired wheel instead of a new one?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. If the dealer has closed, could it be they were doing some bad work in their final death throes and actually gave you a poorly repaired wheel instead of a new one?

No, they were great, just the owner wanted to retire. It sucks because the other Ford dealers around here have bad reputations. I drove over an hour away to buy it so as not to deal with the local dealers. I have spoken to the regional Ford rep, she wasn't much help and said that Ford would only replace the wheels that are peeling and do so within the warranty as long as I am not causing the damage. She says she can't find out if they have a bad batch or supplier issue and got a little upset when I told her I work for a Ford partner (supplier) and we are forced to issue corrective actions for tiny little issues if any of our product is the least bit out of spec. She doubts they would give me any option for different wheels, even stock aluminum and refund the difference I paid for the gloss black luxury wheels. I asked if they'd pay to powder coat these, - nope. Different wheels from different Ford / Lincoln vehicle? - nope - not engineered for my car. Sounds like best I will ever get is peeling wheels replaced until warranty expires. Seems silly to me since with the labor and all it would be cheaper for them to resolve it.

"Lucky" for me, all four are peeling badly again so I guess I make the hike to the dealer I bought from, let them take pictures, get approval etc...

I'm getting 4 months before the first signs of peeling and I swear to GOD I am not using anything but rain X car wash soap and a microfiber mitt on my wheels.

Still LOVE my car though. Mileage dropped quite a bit in the winter with the fuel, cold air up here in NH. Get "only" in the low 30's instead of 35 - 37 I was getting all summer and fall. Gave up on the trip computer thing. Can't get anyone to understand they are showing me the same fuel consumption numbers in trip 1 and trip 2 and I guess it's not really a big deal.

I've had my Fusion for about 5 months now and have the same problem on the wheels with the clear coat peeling off. I'm about to try and get Ford to make this right.... We shall see what happen

That's about what I got out of my two sets. We should stay in touch so we can reference each other and get some resolution.

Any luck getting this resolved?

I just got approval for my second set of replacement rims (third set including the originals). They will order them. Supposedly they can't do anything but replace them with the same EXACT wheels (according to regional Ford rep). No option to give me stock wheels and the difference I spent on these so I could go buy after market wheels, no option to repair (paint, powder coat, etc...).

I guess I keep being a pest and every 4 or 5 months get a new set of wheels until warranty expires. Already up to almost 15,000 miles so I'll be lucky to get one or two more sets if they keep peeling. Part of me just thinks I should walk away and save myself the stress.

Still LOVE my car, just looks like my wheels have leprosy... ;)

I have seen on one of these forums that someone else did have the same issue. Please post a pic of your rim style, not sure which one it is. It might just be that style.

Here are latest pics of replacement wheels peeling. Tough to keep them clean enough up here in NH with salt on the roads.

post-49742-0-99602200-1390924282_thumb.jpg