Questions About US Built Fusions

hotcarl

First off. Love the new Fusions. In fact I liked the old ones a lot. However I refuse to buy an import. Does anyone know which models will be made in the USA, now and in the future? I'm thinking of a hybrid or even a plug-in hybrid but only if it's built here. May end up buying regular one and if so, I will most likely go with a manual transmission. Will Flat Rock build manuals? Though I doubt it, is there any way to order an American built one versus an imported one? Last question. When is Flat Rock expected to start shipping?

Hybrid and Energi are Mexican sourced only. Don't know about manuals. Your dealer may not be able to specify what plant. your order is built at, but they can try to find one close to what you want and trade for it.

That may be your best way to go, dealer will have VIN# and you can tell what country it was built in, plus delivery will be quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

If the VIN# starts with 1, it's a U.S. product. 3 is Mexico and 2 is Canada. All Flat Rock Fusions are automatics for the foreseeable future. There isn't a manual listed on the OIS sheet at that station (just 2 different autos), and the unit trainer said only S and SE automatics for awhile. It may be added later, just as Titaniums might be added one day. Front wheel drive cars require an actual shifter that's hooked to a shifter cable. For the Mazdas we had manual and automatic shifters, they were put in at the same station. Mustangs are real wheel drive, there is no manual shifter installed, it's just a rod that comes out of the top of the trans and they put a sleeve around it and knob on top. The Mustang auto shifters slide into the tunnel housing and are connected to the linkage under the car. The same station, 100 Left, installs both Mustang and Fusion shifters. We are building the most popular lease package Fusions, and they are all automatics. The available 1.6L Ecoboost 4 cyl has a 6 speed manual option, but they are all from Mexico. The 2.5L non turbo 4 cyl are all automatics as are all the 2.0L Ecoboost 4 cyl Titaniums. I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...