Ford Mondeo Vignale concept previews premium trim due 2015 for several models

This Ford press release makes it sound like a Europe only product.

Ford Introduces Unique ‘Vignale’ Product and Ownership Experience in Europe

Sep-04-2013 12:00 AM ET

COLOGNE, Germany - Ford Motor Company today said it plans to launch a unique upscale product and ownership experience in Europe called Vignale.
Ford provided a first glimpse of its vision for Vignale (pronounced: Vin ya le) by revealing the Ford Mondeo Vignale Concept, which offers unique design touches, high quality craftsmanship, exclusive specification and advanced technologies.
“Vignale will offer the highest expression of the Ford brand in Europe from a product and from an ownership experience perspective,” said Stephen Odell, Ford’s president of Europe, Middle East and Africa. “The Ford Mondeo Vignale Concept showcases the features that customers tell us they want in terms of styling and quality, advanced technology and exclusivity.”
Ford chose to present the new Ford Mondeo Vignale Concept with an exclusive and sophisticated four-door saloon body style, and also as a wagon; both featuring 20-inch Vignale alloy wheels with in-depth detailing and high-quality finish, “Vignale” badging, chrome door handles and mirror caps, mesh grille, unique front bumper and fog lamp design, and exclusive “Nocciola” paint colour.
The Ford Mondeo Vignale Concept also features quilted trim, chrome lower mouldings and leather armrests for door interiors, and exclusive seating with “Vignale” detailing and high-quality, soft-touch leather that extends to the steering wheel, instrument panel, centre console, door top-rolls and centre arm-rest. Embossed scuff plates and luxury floor-mats with high-quality edge wrap enhances an ambience that combines traditional coach-building with contemporary design and material trends.
Ford SYNC with MyFord Touch in-car connectivity system will enable integration of smartphones and deliver WiFi capability, while front and rear Park Assist with Rear View Camera will make parking easier and Adaptive LED headlamps will deliver enhance visibility.
Ford is continually developing its own unique take on modern luxury and design, and this year was the first auto manufacturer to participate in the world’s leading furniture design show – Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan. The company’s design DNA and the influence of furniture and fashion trends was evident in the bespoke Ford Design chair, lamp and watch displayed at the event.
“Influences that range from architecture to fashion combine to create for the Mondeo Vignale Concept a sense of high quality and a feeling of timelessness – alongside the very latest advanced technologies,” said Stefan Lamm, exterior design director, Ford of Europe.
Selected Ford dealerships will offer a tailored Ford Vignale experience, which promises to deliver high service levels and stimulating, stress-free environments where customers can sample exclusive materials and colours, and discover exciting features and technologies.
The Ford Vignale vision includes providing customers with collection and delivery for vehicle servicing, a free lifetime carwash and invitations to exclusive events. Customers also could expect a dealer principal greeting on the handover of their new car, a named and dedicated point-of-contact and branded handover documents including a leather document wallet.
Ford Vignale, which starts with the Mondeo Vignale saloon and wagon in early 2015 and will be extended to further models, responds to an increasing trend towards time-saving services, and reflects demand for high-end Ford products. Higher specification models currently account for more than half of Ford’s large car sales in Europe.

Vignale is also inspired by exclusive services from beyond the world of automotive. These include VIP air-travel services that offer collection services, dedicated check-in and security and clubhouse access; and exclusive banking and credit card services with dedicated relationship managers, reward points, concierge services and partner brands such as hotel chains, restaurants and entertainment venues.
“Ford Vignale premium services will meet the needs of the customer for whom time is the ultimate luxury – and they would be made to feel special from the moment they walk in the door,” said Gaetano Thorel, vice president, Marketing, Ford of Europe.
Edited by Dustyw85

The value of this to Fusion owners in the US could be that some of the parts could become available via the Gray Market. The quilted leather seats don't do anything for me, but LED headlights, a steering wheel wrapped in a better grade of leather, a leather trim piece for the dash, perhaps some other parts, could be interesting little add-ons. Ultimately, I think this shows what a great value the Fusion is.

Why have Mercury when you can use Ford brand without any need for appreciable external changes.

And I agree Titanium and greater trim levels spell big trouble for Buick...

I would hazard guess that there is far more money to be made with high series Fords in the rest of the world,

trying to sell them in the USA woulkd probably run contra to the aspirations of Lincoln but boy, could you imagine it.. :)

I guess that is my point. The last four Mercury models produced did not have appreciable external changes and had sales increase during a recession. Plus it gave Lincoln dealers a little traffic.

Just seems like it goes against all of the arguments to shutter Mercury and salvage Lincoln.

Which is pretty much why this vehicle line isn't being launched in the US.

And I guess tht goes to valid point you make with pricing, Ford has only just convinced the market that a $30K to $40K Titanium price range

is justified and that a $35K to $50K MKZ price range is justified. Those two product price zones are probably still way too "green" to build upon.

IMO the interior dress up needs more work. Somehow does not go far enough in touching all areas, especially the center stack area and door cards.

Just looks unfinished, and does not blend at all. Too many cheap bits with some upscale trimmings.

The images of the Concept S-Max interior looks more finished when comparing side by side images.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mondeo/65830/ford-mondeo-vignale-revealed

In a nut shell Ford are basically admitting that the Mondeo still cannot compete with the German brands in Europe so are having to try and shift it up market with a bit of plastic chrome. Why don't they just build a serious reliable rival in the first place and ditch the Mondeo name? Ford need to purchase a 3 series, a Passat, an A4, and C-Class, take them to pieces and see who uses what and how effectively each one is built, and then build one as good if not better....get it right first time and then evolve the model rather than revolutionise thus incurring constant build quality issues and re-calls, evolution not revolution! it works for the Germans maintaining product build quality, reliability and reducing costs when bringing a new model to market....

By the time the New Mondeo (US Fusion) is launched in Europe it will be 3 years late, it will be out of date before it has arrived causing Ford more cash flow problems.

What are the current build issues, recalls etc for the MK4 Mondeo?

Funny how almost all the reviews mention the MK4 Mondeo is on par with BMW,Audi, MB, it is just the blue oval badge that keeps those badge whores away.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

MKII - as I expect you know, we have what will be the next generation Mondeo out in the US already, sold here as the 2013 Fusion. I have the fully-loaded Titanium version and while I love the car, I wouldn't put it on par with the A4 or 3-series BMW. Interior materials and build quality just are not to that level. The driving dynamics are quite good and given the reliability of my last car, an Audi, I am optimistic about Ford reliability. With more attention to detail and better interior materials Ford could close the gap substantially. In my opinion, it is much more car for the money, but it is not more car.

The leather in a $35k Fusion isn't equal to the vinyl in a $35k 3-Series?

And what of the 9 cubic foot difference in interior volume between the A4 and the Fusion, what's that worth? Oh, the A4's got great interior materials! And it's got about as much interior space as a Focus.

Nothing's free-----and anyone paying a premium for a luxury product, claiming that there's this vast difference in quality of materials, I'm sorry, but luxury manufacturers typically have *higher* margins than mainstream manufacturers meaning that you're almost certainly overpaying for those better materials and that badge.

Ultimately, Ford does not intend to sell anywhere near as many Vignale badged vehicles as BMW sells 3-series, or Audi sells A4s in Europe. It's a way to satisfy a small niche with a very profitable range of vehicles.

MKII - as I expect you know, we have what will be the next generation Mondeo out in the US already, sold here as the 2013 Fusion. I have the fully-loaded Titanium version and while I love the car, I wouldn't put it on par with the A4 or 3-series BMW. Interior materials and build quality just are not to that level. The driving dynamics are quite good and given the reliability of my last car, an Audi, I am optimistic about Ford reliability. With more attention to detail and better interior materials Ford could close the gap substantially. In my opinion, it is much more car for the money, but it is not more car.

See, you don't understand European buyers. Ford in Europe is still seen as an outside company compared to

the German French and Italian luxury vehicle brands which are indeed purchased on nationality lines and status.

You could make all the changes you want to a Ford Mondeo or an Opel whatever and buyers in Europe would still

choose their chosen parochial brands, looking past thinks like Richard pointed out. So while increasing high series

versions of mondeo might seem the ticket to us, I seriously doubt this is an effective use of funds for the Europe,

there's so much more to be gained by adding value to the low and mid series trims to compete with basic brands.

Edited by jpd80

See, you don't understand European buyers. Ford in Europe is still seen as an outside company compared to

the German French and Italian luxury vehicle brands which are indeed purchased on nationality lines and status.

You could make all the changes you want to a Ford Mondeo or an Opel whatever and buyers in Europe would still

choose their chosen parochial brands, looking past thinks like Richard pointed out. So while increasing high series

versions of mondeo might seem the ticket to us, I seriously doubt this is an effective use of funds for the Europe,

there's so much more to be gained by adding value to the low and mid series trims to compete with basic brands.

Does it really cost that much to Ford to change the seat covers, door trim, grille, wheels and badging?

Ford Europe has done quite well with the Individual Package series, offered as Interior package or exterior package.

EG - Mondeo interior http://www.busseys.co.uk/uploaded_files/Mondeo_Individual.pdf

Exterior (page 19 pf this brochure pdf) http://www.worcestercarsales.com/downloads/brochures/ford/mondeo.pdf

FoE offering Vignale seems like a choice one would expect to see. FoE has been offering personalize options for quite some time.

Edited by MKII

Richard - you either missed my point or you haven't spent much time in the German cars. Good luck specing a $35k BMW 3-series. The leather in my Fusion is definitely lower spec than the leather in a BMW or an Audi - ditto for the vinyl. Parts that are plastic in a Fusion, if they exist at all, such as cargo hold-downs, might very well be chromed steel in the German cars. The quality of the paint is higher, the quality of body panel alignment better and the list goes on. You're right, the luxury brands bring in much higher margins to the manufacturers. I wasn't claiming that the German cars are a better deal, quite the opposite. Bang for the buck the Fusion, to me, was a better value than an A4, by far. Be it with the Ford brand, Lincoln or Vignale, I think Ford has work to do on many of the basics if it wants to play in the "luxury" market.

• Like 1

Vinyl better than leather? Perhaps, then, plasti-wood is better than real wood. I've been in vinyl equipped Bimmers and Benzes, and the outgassing and tell-tale odor of that vinyl is, all by itself, enough to render them inferior in my opinion.

And for every part that has a layer of plasti-chrome on it in a Bimmer, there is probably also a part that is needlessly over complex, leading to reduced usability--and eventually, reliability (e.g. the Teutons' clockwork cupholders that are all-but useless for most cups).

Paint quality, fit and finish? Yeah, probably. But vinyl and needless complexity do not trump what you can get in a $35k Fusion, based on my experience and preferences.

Edited by RichardJensen

IMHO, a luxo Fusion with a different, more expensive grille and different taillights might work quite well in North America. One reason is that = slowly = the value of the Ford brand is being enhanced in market perception. The days of disposing of fleets of rubber-mat orphans at a loss are over. It's an idea that could be considered for the re-fresh? :)

Instead of Vignale, maybe the next step for Ford North America might be a "Titanium X" trim level

that is knocks on the door of an entry level Lincoln MKZ?

That could act as a catalyst to move the Lincoln version higher in features and equipment levels.

I guess time will tell what Ford's plans are with Lincoln, surely elevating the brand in price and features is part of that.

Richard, I totally agree with your comments and analysis. Ford need to pay greater attention to the detail in their cars ideally using VW/Skoda as a bench mark. Example: For the current EU Mondeo Ford moved over to laser welding the roof to avoid using roof rack rails to cover up the standard welding on the roof. When the Mondeo was launched this technology was going to used across the range but it never transpired e.g. New Focus and Fiesta, look at Skoda or SEAT and they use this enhanced welding technology across their range, in fact throughout the entire VW group. The panel gaps and alignment are far closer and neater, the plastic bumper colours match with the steel work of the rest of the car something of which Ford EU have struggled with for years. The Germans now use disc brakes all round.

Moving on to the interior the likes of VW certainly use a better framed seats, better quality leather with a more concise detailed stitching system, thus avoiding premature sagging and also eliminating the squeaks that often appear on the Ford after plenty of usage. Overall the quality of the switch gear, the minimal gaps on the dash/instruments and neat tight fitting construction provides greater/perception of quality and durability. The Germans conduct serious amounts of research into the psychology of quality which Ford try to imitate. For example, the first point of contact that a customer has with a car is the door handle, and as you may note the handles on the current range are big and chunky with a nice solid operating action, so Ford and VW score well on this point. Open both doors comparatively and the German door seems far heavier giving the perception of quality, something of which is achieved through the ridged hinge system that VW adopt, where as Ford use plastic hinges.

On most rear doors other than Mondeo the interior door panel seems to be modelled from one piece of plastic with very little soft touch surfaces. If Ford copied the Germans by using a rubber veneer over the cheaper plastics this would dramatically transform the quality of the interior. The list goes on but in a nut shell for Ford to compete they need to focus on quality and quality perception, making things neater and concise rather than blinging things up.....evolution not revolution.

Instead of Vignale, maybe the next step for Ford North America might be a "Titanium X" trim level

that is knocks on the door of an entry level Lincoln MKZ?

That could act as a catalyst to move the Lincoln version higher in features and equipment levels.

I guess time will tell what Ford's plans are with Lincoln, surely elevating the brand in price and features is part of that.

I think anything above the current Ford Titaniums would be better served as a Lincoln with the new concierge services and upgraded dealership experience - even on the lower end of the scale. It's easier to justify the higher cost.

the plastic bumper colours match with the steel work of the rest of the car something of which Ford EU have struggled with for years.

Thats a paint issue, not a Ford issue. Most car makes aren't 100% match (esp metallic colors) due to the pigmentation of the paint and the metallic colors not being uniform

Thats a paint issue, not a Ford issue. Most car makes aren't 100% match (esp metallic colors) due to the pigmentation of the paint and the metallic colors not being uniform

It's not that - It's the difference between plastic vs. metal and the fact that the bumpers are usually painted in a different factory.

If Ford copied the Germans

If Ford 'benchmarked the Passat' or 'copied VW', they would be copying a company that has a 30 year track record of failure in this market apart from a single niche in oil-burners.

VW has an unproductive and cynical view of the US market, and they have displayed little willingness to adapt their preconceived notions of what constitutes quality (which apparently consists of lots of metal and bad electronics) to what American customers expect.

I can see zero benefit to Ford in copying a stagnating bit player in this market. 30 years ago, VW was the best selling import in the U.S. Now they're #6.

Edited by RichardJensen