Ford Mondeo Vignale concept previews premium trim due 2015 for several models

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113090362349/ford-mondeo-vignale-concept-previews-premium-trim-due-2015

Slotting above the Titanium X in Ford's trim hierarchy, Vignale will be available starting 2015 when it will make its debut on the newMondeo/Fusion. It will also be introduced for the S-MAX and Edge and will target the "10-15 percent of potential buyers who want an ever higher specification."

1917284470263896814.jpg

1068058233139687485.jpg

• Like 1

Researching the Vignale leads one into the DeTomaso business empire, which is a rabbit-hole worth exploring...........

For instance, Tom Tjaarda & Ghia developed a 351-Cleveland powered sedan for DeTomaso (the Deauville) which eventually became the Maserati BiTurbo and Quattroporte III.

The relationship between that model and the ItalDesign BiTurbo & Quattroporte is obvious once one sees the Deauville:

640px-Deauville2124.jpg

The Deauville was not a success---------which is not a surprise when you consider that it was an Italian sedan attempting to compete with British and German luxury vehicles by using an American engine and a French name. Still--it's a fairly handsome vehicle. I'm looking at it and imagining the wonderful smell of old leather, the feel of old vehicle hardware and controls, the look of old instruments, and the burble and fumes of a carbureted V8 at idle.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

If there wasn't a Lincoln brand, this would be the direction I would expect Ford to take with its platforms,

going further above Titanium to Titanium X and then this Vignale (Black label) would be a perfect way to

continue elevating the Ford brand globally.

I would be interested to hear people's POV on an elevated Ford brand - it's impact on Lincoln and near luxury competitors.

(A better Ford originator has to be good news for Lincoln but it also raises the bar for Lincoln and forces it to be better)

Edited by jpd80

IMHO, over time, this could be Buick's worst nightmare: a luxury-grille Fusion with a not-quite MKZ-grade interior. If Ford can market it effectively and the time is right, a lot of other makes in the near-luxo niche could get nervous, too. It pushes the brand. :)

So, are we bringing Mercury back? If anything, GM should move Chevrolet up a notch and kick Buick to the curb. IMHO, I see this as Lincoln is not going to Europe for some time. This is going to move Ford upmarket with trim lines over there yet this is area covered here. Look at the Euro/China Mondeo IP. That's what we have in our MKZ. Lincoln has Black Label. Perhaps, I think this is an acid test to see if Europe wants Lincoln.

Looks great, but wasn't this the entire point of Mercury?

Why have Mercury when you can use Ford brand without any need for appreciable external changes.

And I agree Titanium and greater trim levels spell big trouble for Buick...

I would hazard guess that there is far more money to be made with high series Fords in the rest of the world,

trying to sell them in the USA woulkd probably run contra to the aspirations of Lincoln but boy, could you imagine it..:)

Edited by jpd80

I don't think this is coming to the U.S. It doesn't 'feel' like a good idea here. Fusion Vignale? Really? Not sensing that as a great idea. Nor do I think there's much of a market for a +$40k Fusion.

A Fusion energi Titanium starts at $40,500, I understand that is a specific case but maybe the precedent to ask more has been made...

And ahead of time, I freely admit justifying a $10,000 leap from a regular Titanium to a Vignale level is a huge ask

and probably one a lot of buyer would not be prepared to take.....especially hen you have the MKZ sitting there..

What about Vignale as an alternative to Energi hybrid but using say a diesel to help justify the lofty price?

Still a huge credibility ask I know...

Edited by jpd80

The front end looks nice, but it looks like a Buick from the A-pillar back.

That's the Mondeo 5-door hatchback, the side profile has a slightly lower and more swept rear roof line, not unlike MKZ.

There's probably other things you would add to Fusion range before going for even higher trim levels,

things like an SHO AWD Ecoboost V6 and maybe a V6 Titanium version as well.

Like Richard said before, there's probably better purchase with using Lincoln as a $35,000-$50,000 MKZ

although the number of people ordering MKZs well over $40,000 has certainly surprised and delighted Ford.

Maybe the Vignale is a longer termed plan to push Lincoln higher and bring Vignale in at say, $35,000?

I don't see this coming to the US, but I'm sure its going to in rest of the 3/4 of the rest of the world auto market...though it does raise an issue..since this is going to be say a $40K Fusion, what happens when Lincoln starts getting introduced to other parts of the world?

Looks great, but wasn't this the entire point of Mercury?

The original intent of Mercury (Created by none other than Edsel Ford himself) was to slot between the bare bones Fords of the era and the over the top luxury Lincolns of that same era....back then, Fords were no-frills basic transportation units that Henry demanded remain simplistic, Edsel saw the profit potential of added features but Henry would not allow it on his namesake. (Real power struggle between the two)...Lincolns back then were pretty much custom coaches in low volume numbers...Mercury was the needed "step" to bridge the two marques....that all de-evolved in the 70's and 80's until it just became futile to continue with Mercury division....When Alan finally convinced the Ford Family that it was time for Mercury to go...I was surprised to see them actually allow it seeing as Mercury was always seen as "Edsels baby"....proved to me that they were serious about saving the company,,,

The ultimate question is why you would do that when there are other, better alternatives, e.g. a brand where you can start at $35k and run up close to $50k.

Lincoln makes the Vignale concept an odd proposition for the U.S. because Lincoln has a higher ceiling than a Vignale badged Ford.

Here is a thought....in the US Market, Vignale and higher goes to Lincoln...wondering what the MKZ would look like with the Vignale styled grille instead of the horizontal bars mimicking a pair of wings...