Dealer trade good idea?

My wife and I have been looking at new Fusions. We are considering ordering a '14, but the deals are of course better now on the '13s and we have a $750 coupon that will expire soon. The two closest dealers to us that we drive by all the time have nothing with the right options/colors. We found the right car at another dealer, but its 32 miles away from us and is in a part of the area that we rarely go to. Just curious on what any of you would do. Have my local dealer try and trade for the car we want, or just try and make a deal with the dealer further away? Not sure if I would end up paying more with the trade, and if you get treated different with service and warranty work.

My wife and I have been looking at new Fusions. We are considering ordering a '14, but the deals are of course better now on the '13s and we have a $750 coupon that will expire soon. The two closest dealers to us that we drive by all the time have nothing with the right options/colors. We found the right car at another dealer, but its 32 miles away from us and is in a part of the area that we rarely go to. Just curious on what any of you would do. Have my local dealer try and trade for the car we want, or just try and make a deal with the dealer further away? Not sure if I would end up paying more with the trade, and if you get treated different with service and warranty work.

I would go to the dealer with the car and see what the best deal they would give you on the car is.

Then, I would go to your preferred dealer, tell them that dealer x has the car you want, and see what the best deal they would give you is.

After that, weigh the two options and pick the deal you like best. If it's $50, go with your preferred dealer. If it's $1k go with the less expensive dealer.

For service, always go to your preferred dealer. Dealerships make more money off of service than they do on sales, so they ALL want your service business, and should treat you accordingly when you go in for service.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I would go to the dealer with the car and see what the best deal they would give you on the car is.

Then, I would go to your preferred dealer, tell them that dealer x has the car you want, and see what the best deal they would give you is.

After that, weigh the two options and pick the deal you like best. If it's $50, go with your preferred dealer. If it's $1k go with the less expensive dealer.

For service, always go to your preferred dealer. Dealerships make more money off of service than they do on sales, so they ALL want your service business, and should treat you accordingly when you go in for service.

Good luck!

actually thats not the best advice....go to the dealership that has to trade for the vehicle FIRST, if you dont like the numbers go then to the dealer that has the car. If you do it the other way around, the dealer that has the car will tag the vehicle NOT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE. And PS, since theres only approx 1500 or so in profit, i sincerely doubt competing dealer will be $1000 apart....car can probably be bought for $399 over invoice. More than a fair deal on a hot and hard to get vehicle.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3

actually thats not the best advice....go to the dealership that has to trade for the vehicle FIRST, if you dont like the numbers go then to the dealer that has the car. If you do it the other way around, the dealer that has the car will tag the vehicle NOT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE. And PS, since theres only approx 1500 or so in profit, i sincerely doubt competing dealer will be $1000 apart....car can probably be bought for $399 over invoice. More than a fair deal on a hot and hard to get vehicle.

I stand corrected, Dean!

To add, what I've done is try Car Max first and their buying policy I believe is a few days, so you can go armed to your purchasing dealer with that number. I never speak to the dealer about trading it in till after the buying numbers, have been negotiated. I LIE and say I'm not trading anything in, than after the numbers are concrete then it's the "Well I was going to go to such and such and sell it there...but"... and pick up from there.

To add, what I've done is try Car Max first and their buying policy I believe is a few days, so you can go armed to your purchasing dealer with that number. I never speak to the dealer about trading it in till after the buying numbers, have been negotiated. I LIE and say I'm not trading anything in, than after the numbers are concrete then it's the "Well I was going to go to such and such and sell it there...but"... and pick up from there.

now you wouldnt want that dealer to LIE back to you would you?.....funny.....

I guess don't understand this from the get-go. Why wouldn't you just go to the dealer with the car anyway? Because of the distance or more so because of loyalty to your "preferred" dealer? (I only ask because you made a point of specifically mentioning the distance, which isn't really a significant amount). I get trying to stick w/ your normal dealer if you can and agree with Dean's assessment if that's your goal.

Our 2013 Fusion was a dealer trade. We paid an extra $200 for them to attain the car from the other dealer (60 miles away and not very reputable in our community). We avoided the other dealer except to "view" the car.

I paid a very fair price for our car and my wife got the color she wanted. This is not the first time I've done this.

I found the car I wanted in stock at another local dealer. I called my salesman and told him to see if he could get it. He knew I had X plan so no price negotiating was necessary. That was on Wednesday morning. Thursday afternoon at 5 pm I was driving it home. He traded another Fusion titanium for it. Of course some dealers won't trade but most will. In my case it prevented me from waiting an extra 2 months to order.

Its because the other two dealerships are much easier to get to for us and I guess also because we have purchased a car from each of these places in the past. Dean, you mentioned 399 over invoice. The list on this ruby red 2.0l Fusion SE we're looking at is 31,980. With discount and rebates its 27,409, minus 750.00 coupon- final price is 26,659. Does that sound about right?

Edited by Ranger20

I've found it best to just call the dealership which has the car and negotiate directly over the phone for the best price (use tools like edmunds for invoice pricing info). It's always *much* easier for them to cut a deal on something in stock. The simpler the deal (i.e. no trade in, leasing, financing etc.), the easier you'll get a straight forward good deal. There are multiple avenues they can gain profit, so your strategy should be to eliminate as many of those as possible. The internet knowledge + phone negotiation gives the advantage to the consumer (car salesman probably dread this customer). Don't discuss any rebates or coupons that aren't explicitly listed as incentives, definitely disclose if you have a or x plan. Some incentives are between you and Ford, and accordingly shouldn't be absorbed by the dealership.

If you do this with a dealer or 2, you'll likely get the best price, and considering the number of Ford dealerships/availability of the fusion - you'll end up with a good result. Doubt the service guys will care where you got the car from, salesman and service advisers don't really talk much and are functionally separate revenue streams for the dealership.

I think fusion's are high volume enough to not be "blacklisting" one as "high demand" and not dealer trade-able, you're not trying to order a GT3 here...

Edited by drob23

Last year a friend of mine bought a Subaru Outback. None of the LA/Orange County dealers had the model & options in stock so we checked online and found one in Bakersfield - about an hour & a half away. She worked her entire deal ($500 over invoice - $36k for a Subaru!) through e-mail and they delivered the car to her office on a flatbed.

Well we took the plunge and ended up buying a 2014 that our local dealer already had on order. They said if we ordered one now from scratch it would end up being a Christmas present because they aren't building customer cars yet. So we have a black on black SE coming with luxury pkg, moonroof, My Ford Touch, reverse sensing and 18in wheels. Its got the 1.5 Ecoboost so I guess we're going to be guinea pigs for the new engine. Thought we got a fair deal and a decent trade on the Taurus. Won't get it for a few weeks but thats ok. Thanks for the help and info guys.

• Like 2

Well we took the plunge and ended up buying a 2014 that our local dealer already had on order. They said if we ordered one now from scratch it would end up being a Christmas present because they aren't building customer cars yet. So we have a black on black SE coming with luxury pkg, moonroof, My Ford Touch, reverse sensing and 18in wheels. Its got the 1.5 Ecoboost so I guess we're going to be guinea pigs for the new engine. Thought we got a fair deal and a decent trade on the Taurus. Won't get it for a few weeks but thats ok. Thanks for the help and info guys.

good luck and sounds really nice. Based on info out the 1.5 should be great...

good job, yes Rich was right, takes a LOT for me to be here weekends, but actually had two deliveries this Saturday ( 1 Raptor one F-150 ) so I took Monday off instead, no more 12 hour days for me, that switch was flicked 15 years ago, customers name was Michael Green, only guy I can recall that I actually told to waste someone elses time...spun my wheels for 3 weekends in a row and never showed once....it may also explain why I can come across as "forward"...keep the games and BS for someone else, get to the point...buying a car does NOT have to be a throw-down or a theatrical version of "How to buy a car 101".....as in, dont tell "them" theres a trade till after the negotiation, get up and walk ( apparently we come running after you ) etc etc etc ....seen it all....anyway, I digress...congrats, enjoy.