AC bad smell on start up

gdn

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the fix is too replace the housing with one that either drains better or has some method of allowing a little outside air in to evaporate the moisture while not running. I'm wondering if it isn't a "in house" fix such as drilling or widening a hole.

Edited by Axle17

So it looks like the fix is too replace the housing with one that either drains better or has some method of allowing a little outside air in to evaporate the moisture while not running. I'm wondering if it isn't a "in house" fix such as drilling or widening a hole.

Makes sense.

I brought it up to the dealer and they said if this is the first time it will probably go away since I'm only now using the AC heavily. Guess I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait a month to see if it sticks around.

Anyway for me to clean the 'mold' or whatever is in there? Can I spray lysol in there somehow (and safely) lol?

• 3 months later...

I have a 2014 Fusion Titanium, leased in March, started having the smell about a month ago, I have tried everything on the forum, sprayed Lysol into the intake, turned off the A/C, dealwer did replace in cabin filter 9said it is not usuallu included in the pay in advance service but replaced it as a courtesy), but the smell persists. Any other suggestions besides hitting the dealer in the head?

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2013 Fusion Energi, and having the same smell issue. I just recently took it into the Ford Dealership, and had the in cabin air filter replaced. And of course the smell is still there after two days. I after reading all these posts, I returned to the dealership and told them the smell has returned. Their reply was to spray Lysol into the air inlet outside the car and vent under glove compartment. I also had mentioned that a lot of other Fusion owners are having this issue, and they just gave me that what do you want us to do look. So when I got home I called a Ford Service Representative 1-800-392-3673 and reported this problem as well. The regional manager is suppose to be getting in contact with me by Monday 22 Sept 2014. She also told me there is a current recall on Power Train Programming Recall # 14E02. Notice letters to be sent out starting next month. But check with your local dealer and they can fix the issue now. But I think everyone that is posting on here needs to call and report the issue.. I will post once I am told when I get the call for the Regional Office.

Edited by rayray72

• 6 months later...

This is not limited to just 2013 Fusions and newer. I bought a 2012 Fusion in November of 2014. Started noticing the smell about a month ago. I know that it is not covered under any warranty.Would love to find a way to fix it myself. Six hours worth of labor at a dealership will be more than I am willing to pay.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Fordfan82, on 10 May 2014 - 01:09 AM, said:snapback.png

How do I find my built date of my 2014 Fusion??

Check the sticker on your car door or check ETIS using your VIN

http://www.etis.ford...eRegSelector.do

I looked up my VIN an this is what came up:

Transit Connect 2002-, 2.0L EcoBoost (250PS), Ruby Red TC

That was a surprise, considering the picture below is what I drive!

• 2 weeks later...

TSB 14-0099
FORD:
2013-2014 Fusion
LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKZ
ISSUE
Some 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ vehicles built on or before 2/24/2014 may exhibit a musty or organic-type odor from the
front vents when air conditioning (A/C) is activated.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Replace the Climate Control Housing. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.
a. Transfer the components from the old housing to the new housing as needed.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
EG9Z-19B555-C Climate Control Housing - Manual Air Conditioning
EG9Z-19B555-D Climate Control Housing - Dual Zone Auto Temp Control
W714878-S439 Steering Column Shaft-To-Steering Column Pinch Bolt
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor Operations)
6.0 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do
Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
6.6 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid Plug In: Replace The Climate Control
Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
6.8 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 MKZ: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor Operations)
7.4 Hrs.
140099A 2013-2014 MKZ Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not
Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
7.7 Hrs.
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are
determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19B555 42
MUSTY ODOR FROM A/C VENT ON INITIAL START UP - BUILT ON OR
BEFORE 2/24/2014 TSB 14-0099
NOTE: The information contained in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job
properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service.The
procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership
to determine whether the bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan
coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves
the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date May 5, 2014 PAGE1

I have a couple of concerns, my first concern is that my 2012 Fusion is not listed on here, my second concern is that nobody has posted that they have had this done and that it worked. someone please post if it works or not. I believe that Ford needs to have a recall.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...