Ford Sales Results: July 2013

F-series is up 22% yoy

Fiesta up 89%!

PI utility is outselling the PI Taurus - 1347 to 903. 2250 combined for the month. Does anyone remember what a typical month for CV sales was?

Don't forget that PI Taurus sales up 55% over a year ago! Speaking of Taurus....when was the last time you saw a Taurus commercial? When was the last time that Ford mentioned Taurus sales in their monthly report? Not!!! July car sales show Taurus OUTSOLD the Charger, Chrysler 300, Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon and the Kia Cadenza! I would say that's pretty good for a vehicle that never gets promoted...or ever mentioned by Ford in their monthly sales report!

Speaking of Taurus....when was the last time you saw a Taurus commercial?

Yesterday. I don't know if they're done by the Oklahoma Ford Dealers Association or if it's a corporate campaign, but I've seen a bunch of individual model ads lately in a "movie trailer"-esque series of commercials. So far, I've seen ads in this series for the F-150, Mustang, Escape, Taurus (might even have been for the SHO), and Fusion.

US Sales for July:

GM Total 194,699

Ford Total 193,715

With supply problems last month, I'm impressed that Ford came within a 1,000 sales of GM.....

You've quoted the Jan/2013 total for GM. The GM July is actually 234,071.

Supply issues hurt Ford's July numbers as Toyota passed Ford in U.S. sales for the month

MKZ retail sales were up 3% in July, going against a high sell-down comparison month last year. MKZ Hybrid turn rates are some of the fastest in the Ford lineup, and we’re seeing Conquest rates for the MKZ Hybrid that are 50% higher than the non-hybrid vehicles. Approximately two thirds of our retail sales volume in the Los Angeles region is made up of MKZ Hybrid which is a big factor in our decision to increase our production mix of MKZ Hybrid to 40% for the ’14 model year.

Where are all these MKZs in LA? I have only seen 2 on the road. Just drove up to Las Vegas and back last weekend and saw 0 MKZs. Plenty of MKXs, Navis, and even a '13 MKS (which looked pretty mean in the rear view mirror coming up quickly from behind at +100mph.)

Yesterday. I don't know if they're done by the Oklahoma Ford Dealers Association or if it's a corporate campaign, but I've seen a bunch of individual model ads lately in a "movie trailer"-esque series of commercials. So far, I've seen ads in this series for the F-150, Mustang, Escape, Taurus (might even have been for the SHO), and Fusion.

Good to hear Oklahoma is advertising the Taurus. I'm in Michigan (near bankrupt Detroit) and have only seen the 'movie trailer commercials'...none for Taurus. Mostly with the Vampire chasing the Fusion! also F150! Scary! It's better than those Buick commercials with the retired basketball player sitting mostly in the backseat and his legs propped up around the steering wheel, trying to look comfortable! Hilarious!

Where are all these MKZs in LA? I have only seen 2 on the road. Just drove up to Las Vegas and back last weekend and saw 0 MKZs. Plenty of MKXs, Navis, and even a '13 MKS (which looked pretty mean in the rear view mirror coming up quickly from behind at +100mph.)

When a company talks in percentages without referring to actual quantities, it's obvious that those numbers are still low...

You've quoted the Jan/2013 total for GM. The GM July is actually 234,071.

Supply issues hurt Ford's July numbers as Toyota passed Ford in U.S. sales for the month

Yeah, sorry about that...looked at the wrong column..:(face palm)

I see in the GM sales call transcript that deliveries of the 2014 Silverdos last month, 9,000 Super Cabs in July and

it's just started delivering Crew cabs, GM m mentioned Inventory at 140,000 (68 days) is about where they want to be.

In a nutshell, Silverado and Sierra sales may begin surging in Q3 and Q4 but I think F Truck will hold on...just.

Edited by jpd80

What are Fusion, Focus, Escape and F-series inventory numbers, jpd??

There are those at that other place doubting Fords production constraints.

Thanks

Not released yet probably around the second week.

As of July 1

Fusion 44,600

Focus 33,100

Escape 49,400

F-Truck 211,500

In the last three months, Ford has sold over 200,000 F Trucks.

Here's something you can throw at GMI.

Erich Merkle - U.S. Sales Analyst

Yes on the inventory question, Dee-Ann, what we’re seeing with fusion, its rate around 40 days right now but one of the interesting things as if you go out to some of our key coastal markets if you go out to LA, San Francisco, you go out to places in Miami places on the east coast we’re down to about almost 30 day supply and that’s grow stock start, so grow stocking also includes what’s on Rayo and what’s on being transported via trucks, so it’s not on all dealer lots, so you can see that fusion is still really tight, the other one I think you’ve mentioned was escape I don’t have it but we expected it probably going somewhere tomorrow when release somewhere around 50-day supply maybe closer to 40.

Edited by jpd80

I've seen about 7 or so new MKZs in the past week down here in Fort Lauderdale. Then again, I also saw 5 Teslas yesterday hahaha.

Nice little pop on the Taurus. Notice the Mustang is down YTD over 12, not just for the month. I imagine that driven by the need for a bit of a refresh and probably some delayed purchasing (maybe?) for people wanting the "feel" of having the 50th anniversary car.

I think most striking is how Escape's YTD numbers are within striking distance of the Fusion's numbers---making a close race for the #2 seller in the lineup overall. I know what's largely behind it, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed by the Fusion's numbers. (Side note, I saw on Autoblog's Twitter when the #'s were released today that the Altima had ~ 29k this month. That makes me even sadder when I see the Fusion's 20k number).

And no, I don't actually care about the sales figures. I only care about those numbers that Ford released about a week ago. Profit is the ONLY number that matters. But still...

I'm stunned that Fusion sales are down. (Edit: only for the month. YTD 13.4% up.) They are everywhere in SoCal.

Edited by timmm55

I'm stunned that Fusion sales are down. (Edit: only for the month. YTD 13.4% up.) They are everywhere in SoCal.

As am I - I'm seeing them everywhere down here in South Florida.

EDIT: Then again, both of these markets may be "priority" markets for unit allocation, given previous struggles in them. That may or may not be the case, but I'm just guessing.

Edited by rmc523

What are Fusion, Focus, Escape and F-series inventory numbers, jpd??

There are those at that other place doubting Fords production constraints.

Thanks

July Inventory:

C-Max .......................... 11,500 (106)
Fiesta .......................... 21,300 (69)
Focus .......................... 35,300 (53)
Fusion.......................... 43,800 (53)
Mustang ...................... 14,000 (61)

Taurus.......................... 15,300 (53)

E-series/Club Wagon .. 1,100 (32)
E-series van ................ 17,400 (49)
Edge ............................ 29,000 (69)
Escape ........................ 41,500 (46)
Expedition.................... 12,100 (110)
Explorer ...................... 21,800 (39)
F series ........................ 188,900 (78)
Flex .............................. 8,800 (82)

Transit Connect (I) ...... 16,300 (141)

MKS ............................ 5,000 (120)
MKZ ............................ 12,200 (109)
Total Lincoln car ........ 17,200 (112)
MKT ............................ 1,900 (109)
MKX ............................ 8,100 (101)

Navigator .................... 2,900 (115)

ATS .............................. 16,800 (145)
CTS.............................. 12,200 (106)
XTS.............................. 11,500 (98)
Total Cadillac car ...... .....40,500 (116)
Escalade ...................... 4,100 (93)
Escalade ESV .............. 2,000 (73)
Escalade EXT .............. 600 (82)

SRX ............................ 17,400 (88)