Ford Sales Results: July 2013

Overall great results! Flat Rock can't come online soon enough, as I'm guessing supply is what's causing the drop in Fusion sales.

All three Ford utility vehicles are on pace to set sales records this year, with Escape up 4 percent in July to 22,343 vehicles sold and Explorer up 13 percent to 12,742 vehicles sold. Edge also posted a record July with 10,541 vehicles sold, a 15 percent increase from last year.

Seems like there is a utility in there that Ford has forgotten about...

F-series is up 22% yoy

Fiesta up 89%!

PI utility is outselling the PI Taurus - 1347 to 903. 2250 combined for the month. Does anyone remember what a typical month for CV sales was?

Does Ford make money off of the Fiesta when sold in the US?

Nice little pop on the Taurus. Notice the Mustang is down YTD over 12, not just for the month. I imagine that driven by the need for a bit of a refresh and probably some delayed purchasing (maybe?) for people wanting the "feel" of having the 50th anniversary car.

I think most striking is how Escape's YTD numbers are within striking distance of the Fusion's numbers---making a close race for the #2 seller in the lineup overall. I know what's largely behind it, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed by the Fusion's numbers. (Side note, I saw on Autoblog's Twitter when the #'s were released today that the Altima had ~ 29k this month. That makes me even sadder when I see the Fusion's 20k number).

And no, I don't actually care about the sales figures. I only care about those numbers that Ford released about a week ago. Profit is the ONLY number that matters. But still...

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 1

For the purposes of these sales reports when do Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota count sales?

Do they count sales when vehicles are shipped from the factory to the dealer, or when they are ultimately sold to the customer?

A sale isn't booked until it is delivered to a customer.

I have read conflicting reports.

"Auto companies count vehicles as sold when they are shipped from the factory to the dealer, not when they are ultimately purchased by the consumer." - NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/18/business/18cnd-ford.html?pagewanted=print

"Ford counts a sale when the customer drives it off the dealer lot. Chebby....when its shipped from the factory."

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44042-how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-the-mustang/page-2

"the poster is getting two thinggs confused. GM counts the money as a sale when it is wholsalewd to a dealer. It is reported as a retail sale when the dealer reports the customer information to GM. So all the cars on a dealers lot have not been repoerted sold."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/11/warning-this-piece-contains-accounting-ratios-reader-discretion-is-advised/

"GM does not sell cars to consumers. Their dealers do. The dealer is the customer of GM and GM sales are to dealers. I worked in the industry for 30 years and sales were always reported as sales to dealers, not end users."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/chinas-auto-dealers-backs-are-broken-channel-stuffing-gets-dangerous

"we've told you about this many times. GM counts a "sale" as when a vehicle leaves the factory and is "sold" to a dealer… not necessarily when it is sold to an end customer."

http://kevinmeyer.com/blog/2012/12/contextual-comparison/

"But remember that Ford counts sales upon shipment to the dealerships, not on dealership sales to consumers"

http://seekingalpha.com/currents/post/285801

"what is not surprising is that GM management has once again resorted to the age old gimmick which never fails to provide an artificial boost to the true condition of GM car sales, i.e., Channel Stuffing."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-02/gm-september-sales-miss-channel-stuffing-resumes

"A sale is a delivery to the dealership.

--

No it's not.

A sale, as reported by all manufacturers on the first of every month, is a delivery to a customer.

--

we're not talking abt "all manufaturers", we're simply talking about GM

so, if this is true for GM and we define "customer" as "dealer", perhaps you may begin to see the point by the end of 2013"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gm-channel-stuffing-soars-all-time-high

Which is it?

Which is it?

With Ford (and just about everybody else*), the sale "counts" when a flesh-and-blood customer signs the contract and drives it away. A dealer taking delivery of a stock unit does not count as a sale for the purpose of these reports.

*BMW caught some shit over the last year or so for pushing dealers to "buy" additional units for to inflate their numbers, I believe when they were neck-and-neck fighting for the "#1 luxury brand" title.

With Ford (and just about everybody else*), the sale "counts" when a flesh-and-blood customer signs the contract and drives it away. A dealer taking delivery of a stock unit does not count as a sale for the purpose of these reports.

*BMW caught some shit over the last year or so for pushing dealers to "buy" additional units for to inflate their numbers, I believe when they were neck-and-neck fighting for the "#1 luxury brand" title.

Simple:

In accounting terms, as part of quarterly and annual reports, companies book revenue when vehicles are 'sold' to dealers.

In terms of units sold reported as part of the CAFE requirements, sales are tallied when vehicles are delivered to customers.

Thanks for the clarification, Richard and Premier.

KEN CZUBAY VP, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service;

Again some very tight inventories for our most popular models. Ford Motor Company delivered an 11% year-over-year

gain with a 193,715 vehicles sold in July, with a 155,970 vehicles sold at retail we had our strongest July retail month

since 2005, an increase of 19%, which likely outpaced industry retail sales for the month. As we have said on the previous

calls Fusion supply remains very tight, with Focus to becoming markedly tighter in July. As was the case in June Ford

continues to drive sheer gains on the coast.

Based on the latest pulled retail registration data, Ford brand retail share gains on the East Coast and West Coast

combined are up almost 1 full percentage point. Ford brand coastal share point gains are expanding faster than any

automotive brand in the United States. Much of the credit goes to Escape, small cars and our hybrid sales performance

in these key areas of the country.

As Erich mentioned before Ford's product portfolio today has the ability to meet the trends we're seeing for smaller fuel

efficient vehicles while also hitting the cyclical recovery in full size pickups. Ford's small car sales including Fiesta, Focus

and C-Max Hybrids totaled 27,131 in July, representing a 32% gain over last year. Once again providing us with our

best July monthly small car sales performance since 2000.

Fiesta retail sales in the large and small car market in the country, Los Angeles increased 71% in July, while the San

Francisco region posted a 79% increase. Fiesta retail sales are now growing at more than five times the rate of the overall

sub-compact segment in California. We're really excited about the redesigned Fiesta, the upcoming introduction of the high

performance Fiesta ST in our award winning 1.0 liter EcoBoost engine later this year. Fiesta conquest rate continues at

levels above 60%, with the cars largest conquest coming from Toyota and Honda. Fiesta is our bestselling vehicle with

millennial buyers. Two-thirds of them return to buy another Ford product, usually a Focus or Escape.

Fusion retail sales were up almost 70% in July in California. Miami saw a 47% increase with low inventory and fast

days supply to turn on dealer life. Fusion Titanium is turning at just 12 days in Miami, 14 days in San Francisco and 16 days

in Los Angeles. Fusion Hybrid is turning at slightly more than 10 days in these markets. As we have mentioned Fusion inventory

will remain very tight this summer until 1,400 new workers begin production at the Flat Rock assembly plant, this fall to improve

availability. Inventory will be tight particularly in the west and southeast regions of first country.

Looking at utilities Escape had yet another strong month in July with 22,343 vehicles sold its best July retail sales ever.

With Coastal retail sales up 26% this year Escape retail share has increased in New York region by three retail share

point since 2008, faster than any domestic or full line Japanese brand. In New York, Escape’s competitive conquest

request is 54% with Honda at its top competitive conquest brand. Explorer sales were up again in July with 12,742

vehicles sold. Explorer is now turning at 25 days with markets like New York and San Francisco reporting 27 and 22 days

respectively. Explorer remains very much in demand. The high end Explorer Sport is now taking just 13 days to turn on

dealer lots.

F-Series continue to roll in July with 60,449 trucks sold, an increase of 23% from year ago. In just three months our dealers

have sold a total of 200,000 F-Series pickups just as we enter the traditional truck season. We’re moving tremendous numbers

of trucks through our plants and through our dealers right now, and we will have the addition of the third crew at

Kansas City truck plant to increase output of the F-150.

Taking the look at Lincoln and MKZ this month, MKZ retail sales were up 3% in July, going against a high sell-down

comparison month last year. MKZ Hybrid turn rates are some of the fastest in the Ford lineup, and we’re seeing Conquest

rates for the MKZ Hybrid that are 50% higher than the non-hybrid vehicles. Approximately two thirds of our retail sales

volume in the Los Angeles region is made up of MKZ Hybrid which is a big factor in our decision to increase our production

mix of MKZ Hybrid to 40% for the ’14 model year.

Now, one final note, we’ve been working really hard with our dealer in Ford Credit to take our certified pre-own sales to the

next level, July month, the sixth consecutive month of all time sales for us. This will be an important part of our residual value

building story.

Courtesy of Seeking Alpha.com

Edited by jpd80