Issues after GPS TSB 13-4-20 was performed??

blockisle9

I had this TSB done about a month ago for the lack of or long delay for GPS lock. Now the car finds the GPS very fast, but it is now not very accurate.

With the map up on the screen, as I drive through a intersection, after I'm through it the screen shows me just entering it. Same thing with side to side. It seems the GPS is off be 50 ft or so.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe another TSB?

Have not been back to the dealer yet, I'll wait till next service.

Thanks

Lenny

My Nav shows me driving off the highway when I'm still on it so I guess your doing better than me. Also loves to lose me on off ramps that circle. Has now clue where I am then. Should have the wife take pics of the screen. It's shown me driving through lakes lol

My Nav shows me driving off the highway when I'm still on it so I guess your doing better than me. Also loves to lose me on off ramps that circle. Has now clue where I am then. Should have the wife take pics of the screen. It's shown me driving through lakes lol

I'm no big supporter of MFT but can you be specific here. When what you describe occurs has your system acquired GPS? It's not fair to slam MFT/Nav if it has not acquired GPS. If you have not acquired GPS then the MFT/Nav is only guessing at your current location. Do you have a GPS lettered icon with a red X through it on the left side of the map screen? This symbol means you haven't acquired GPS yet. I didn't write the software and Ford has not disclosed the details so I speculating, MFT is probably using the last known location, compass heading, speed and the map to "guess" where you are located. This is my main pet peeve with the Ford's Nav. I like how my old Garmin does it, it does not show an updating moving map until in knows for sure (IE it has acquired GPS). In my opinion Ford should have put up the map with a big pop message saying "waiting for GPS acquisition before showing you where you are" or something to that affect.

Mine does have GPS signal (no red X, that problem was fixed) its just off by 50 feet and slow to correct. Two examples.

When at a red light at an intersection that I'm going to make a turn at, it tells me 50 feet before I have to turn even though I'm sitting at the intersection.

The second one,

It shows me driving on the highway, when I get off a ramp it continues to track me on the highway for a bit even though I'm not on it. After a few seconds it will jump to where I am.

Drives me crazy!

it tells me 50 feet before I have to turn even though I'm sitting at the intersection

You'll never get better accuracy than that and the system is working normally. The low grade gps installed in vehicles isn't put there to drive under IFR conditions. It gives you a heads up and nothing more. Thinking you can black out the windows and drive cross country using the gps isn't realistic. Even high grade aircraft gps systems are accurate to a little under two meters.

Today's GPS receivers are extremely accurate, thanks to their parallel multi-channel design. Garmin's 12 parallel channel receivers are quick to lock onto satellites when first turned on and they maintain strong locks, even in dense foliage or urban settings with tall buildings. Certain atmospheric factors and other sources of error can affect the accuracy of GPS receivers. Garmin® GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters on average.
Edited by rscalzo

Even if it's right on the money, there's a lag. If you go slow enough, it might catch up. GPS is not "real time" which is why the courts will not certify it for speed measurement. Even the very expensive system we use in the dive boat is off by 20 feet or so and that unit was well over a thousand. The system gives you a heads up what's coming but you still need your eyes to look outside. Probably why some people drive into rivers or lakes.

All I know is the factory nav installed in my 08 ford edge was spot on. Also with the TomTom on the dash next to the system in my escape the differences are huge!

How can a system tell you to turn after you already passed the intersection? Never happened in my 08. My Tom Tom or my Friends 12 Jeep.

I know what your saying, but this one is way off.

tell you to turn after you already passed the intersection?

That is annoying and it happens even on my $200 Garmin. But usually only when I'm traveling in the rural areas. I never have that issue in a city environment. I guess the heavy tree coverage slows down the response. I have no doubt the actual electronic in both are probably the same quality. The true cost is integration to the car's electronics.

Edited by rscalzo

I'm no big supporter of MFT but can you be specific here. When what you describe occurs has your system acquired GPS? It's not fair to slam MFT/Nav if it has not acquired GPS. If you have not acquired GPS then the MFT/Nav is only guessing at your current location. Do you have a GPS lettered icon with a red X through it on the left side of the map screen? This symbol means you haven't acquired GPS yet. I didn't write the software and Ford has not disclosed the details so I speculating, MFT is probably using the last known location, compass heading, speed and the map to "guess" where you are located. This is my main pet peeve with the Ford's Nav. I like how my old Garmin does it, it does not show an updating moving map until in knows for sure (IE it has acquired GPS). In my opinion Ford should have put up the map with a big pop message saying "waiting for GPS acquisition before showing you where you are" or something to that affect.

I am locked in and running fine for miles and miles then I hit a loop off ramp onto another highway ie cross island parkway to the LIE in NY. Boom Nav looses me in the turn and shows me on side streets for about 4 miles on the LIE then it finds me again. Happens in NY and NJ/PA usually on 360 degree off ramps