What would you swap an Ecoboost into?

Well being an avid Ford fan and also automotive enthusiest. For me I would use the 2.3 Ecoboost RS motor in a classic mustang coupe or fastback. Plenty of power to weight ratio plus you can always turn it up.

The 2.7 and 3.5 I would use in a Fairlane or Torino possible a 60's or 70's Ford pickup. Gotta love the bumpsides. One last aspect I also own a 944 and while the turbo motor is a solid 220hp I am currently putting a 2.3 345hp Ecoboost in it. Same weight way more HP than I could ever get out of the stock motor plus direct fuel injection I could probably see mid 30's for mpg and also keep the 50/50 weight distribution.

Also I'm not just throwing out ideas I actually have a 66 Fairlane that's getting a 3.5 also a 72 shortbed truck and a 1932 Ford BB truck that's getting a 2.3 as well. Also I have a 65 fastback that will be receiving one down the road.

• Like 1

So what's the consensus? Where does one go to purchase Ecoboost power for their project. Is the a company like Kar Kraft that deals in Ecoboost "takeouts"?

Does a transverse 3.5 EB have the same bell housing flange as a "north/south" type like an F150?

Are there internet sites that discuss the technical matters concerning Ecoboost swaps?

Who will be the first BON member to attempt and then complete an Ecoboost swap?

Probably won't be me. If I was going to do a late model swap I would use a Coyote 5.0. Sorry, but in my mind there is still nothing like the sound of a V8. If I am going to all the trouble of dealing with the electronics I'm going to want it to sound the way I prefer. My favorite body styles are from the late '60s muscle car era and IMO those cars need to have the sound of a V8.

I have two candidates. The first is my '68 Mercury Cougar but since it is an original 390 car that is probably not the best choice. The other would be my '67 Ranchero. I have already installed a Mustang II front suspension so there is plenty of room for a four-cam V8. It currently has a 460 big-block with a C6 automatic. If I did a Coyote swap I would probably use a Tremec 6-speed.

As far as EcoBoost swaps go the guys on Truck Tech TV did a 3.5EB in a '55 F-100.

https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/TT2014-23/f100-basket-case-hot-rod-classic

• 3 months later...

I just purchased a wrecked 2017 mustang with an ecoboost and 6 speed. I am planning to use the powertrain in a 1956 Thunderbird I am working on.

Anyone from Ford out there? would just love a Stand alone controller M-6017-23T :)

• Like 3

I just purchased a wrecked 2017 mustang with an ecoboost and 6 speed. I am planning to use the powertrain in a 1956 Thunderbird I am working on.

Anyone from Ford out there? would just love a Stand alone controller M-6017-23T :)

That sounds like a cool project....keep us updated.

Doesn't Ford Performance sell one for the crate ecoboost?

that's a good question actually. I bet the 3.5 could hold its own vs both

I don't think the 3.5 has enough aftermarket yet to compete with a well done 347. It sure as heck wouldn't happen with the tiny stock turbos.

Add boost to the 347 and it'd be game over real fast.

Of course the 3.5 vs stock 225 hp 5.0 HO is not even going to be close.

I don't think the 3.5 has enough aftermarket yet to compete with a well done 347. It sure as heck wouldn't happen with the tiny stock turbos.

Add boost to the 347 and it'd be game over real fast.

Of course the 3.5 vs stock 225 hp 5.0 HO is not even going to be close.

I'm not so sure about that. We know what the 3.5 is capable of in the GT, I'm sure Hennesey or one of those other tuners who gets crazy amounts of power out of engines could do something with it to make it a more even match