Ram tops Consumer Reports pickup truck rankings.

Nice job with the 4x4 only post. That's almost as disingenuous as "anything over 1,000lbs is enough for a half-ton"
You do realize that's exactly what you used for your comparison and what everyone is comparing the numbers to on the last page of posts?

Say you buy a 4x4 crewcab with a 1400lb payload. Okay. You're hauling 3 guys: That's about 500lbs right there coming off the payload. You're at 900lbs. Let's say you've got a full toolbox that weighs 150lbs. Boom. 750lbs.

You can *barely* haul a *fridge* at that point.

Now, with the 2,000lb payload of a typical Ford 4x4 crew, you're looking at almost double the *effective* payload for a *work* truck.

Edit: schpelling

Edited by Intrepidatious

Deanh, I'm not saying Ford is somehow being threatened by Dodge trucks. But to paint Dodge trucks as somehow severely compromised as Richard is trying to do is dishonest. Even more-so when facts are not presented in a fair light.

Again, I will fully agree that Ford has an overall more capable truck. That was never in question. But the Ram is not all that far behind.

as a half ton I think they are compromised, maybe not severely, BUT once again it comes down to individual needs, Ford may actually be watching Rams sucess...it may convince them of the F100 being viable....

as a half ton I think they are compromised, maybe not severely, BUT once again it comes down to individual needs, Ford may actually be watching Rams sucess...it may convince them of the F100 being viable....

Ford would be stupid if they were not watching what others are doing. Ford is not that arrogant.

But I will kindly disagree that because the capability of the Ram is less than that of the F-150, its compromised.

And I will correct a statement I made earlier. The highest payload on the Ram is 1932, not 1918. The 4X4 has a 1932 payload, the 4X2 has a 1918 payload. Not a huge difference, but just the correct numbers.

Ford would be stupid if they were not watching what others are doing. Ford is not that arrogant.

Agreed! Ford is ALWAYS keeping one eye over their shoulder.

But I will kindly disagree that because the capability of the Ram is less than that of the F-150, its compromised.

I'm a half-ton buyer. I want a crew cab truck with 2000+lbs of payload to tow a travel trailer. Where do I look?

Not Ram, because they don't offer it. That means they ARE compromised, because they are immediately taken out of the list for many buyers.

• Like 1

And to add a little to this discussion, my 2008 F250 diesel has 1999 lbs. of payload. You read that right, less than many F150's.

However, I feel better towing at 2200lbs of payload with this than I would feel towing with 2200lbs of payload in an F150 rated for 2300 lbs of payload. That's why I drive an F250.

And the lower rating is 1) because it has a diesel...it takes up a lot of weight and 2) because it has the 20" wheels

Agreed! Ford is ALWAYS keeping one eye over their shoulder.

I'm a half-ton buyer. I want a crew cab truck with 2000+lbs of payload to tow a travel trailer. Where do I look?

Not Ram, because they don't offer it. That means they ARE compromised, because they are immediately taken out of the list for many buyers.

I understand, but I think the vast majority of pickup drivers are not in the same boat as you. I am also a 1/2 ton buyer and have no need for payload, just the occasional need to pull a boat. I would be fine with a 1200 pound payload. Most of the time, my truck is carrying myself, and only myself around, to and from work, etc. I tow maybe a dozen times a year.

I would be all over an Edge with a decent tow rating...I have no need for something as big as the Explorer (plus they're incredibly ugly) or, as I considered it more, the Flex (too cool I think)...or any 7 seat SUV. It's sad that manufactures are incapable of making a mid-sized, light duty SUV (like the Edge) with a 4000k+ tow rating. I'd be all over that (I love the Jeep but man to they command a price).

And to add a little to this discussion, my 2008 F250 diesel has 1999 lbs. of payload. You read that right, less than many F150's.

However, I feel better towing at 2200lbs of payload with this than I would feel towing with 2200lbs of payload in an F150 rated for 2300 lbs of payload. That's why I drive an F250.

And the lower rating is 1) because it has a diesel...it takes up a lot of weight and 2) because it has the 20" wheels

Wow, that's interesting. That's hardly more than a car-based Explorer!

Funny though, I wonder what kept Ford from just going to the 2K pound mark...what kept them from that one extra pound...

Edited by EBFlex

And I will correct a statement I made earlier. The highest payload on the Ram is 1932, not 1918. The 4X4 has a 1932 payload, the 4X2 has a 1918 payload. Not a huge difference, but just the correct numbers.

more and more Im wondering about that rumoured "mini" truck Ford was investigating....I also think Ram went a different route rather than trying to pull a Chevy and one up the Crown Jewel...whether thats a good route or bad I dont know, buyers will answer that question I think...and who knows, maybe there will be a "ram" like iteration of the F-150 come 2015, NOTHING would surprize me...

EBFlex, on 22 Jul 2013 - 17:56, said:snapback.png

"Dean, it does not matter. The assertion was made that the Ram 1500 has a max payload that is only 100 pounds more than Ford's minimum. All I was doing was correcting the record. It's very simple, can you get a Ram 1500 with a payload greater than 1900 pounds? The answer is yes."
The answer is NO.
Edited by Bryan1

The answer is No.

1918 lbs payload is the Max Payload on a Ram 1500.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/?section=light_duty

The 2012 Tradesman HD 1500 had LEAF SPRINGS to give it the 3100 lbs payload.

It was discontinued in 2013.

The Ram now has a lousy 1918 lbs payload in a regular cab Tradesman.

That's the best you can get and it's in a RC that nobody wants.

Ram sent a typical Ram crewcab to the PUTC shootout with a 1000 lbs payload.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-calculated-max-payload-and-towing.html

Dean, it does not matter. The assertion was made that the Ram 1500 has a max payload that is only 100 pounds more than Ford's minimum. All I was doing was correcting the record. It's very simple, can you get a Ram 1500 with a payload greater than 1900 pounds? The answer is yes.

lol...you sure about that Bryan

lol...you sure about that Bryan

No, I was trying to reply to someone else and the editor is going haywire.

See my other post. 1900 is the max on a Ram 1500 and it's in a lousy RC base model.

1900 is pretty pathetic for a Max Payload. The same configuration in a F-150 would be 3100 lbs.

See my other post. 1900 is the max on a Ram 1500 and it's in a lousy RC base model.

1900 is pretty pathetic for a Max Payload. The same configuration in a F-150 would be 3100 lbs.

What's included in the Max Payload Package that Ford requires on some models?

Because without it, the max payload you can get on ANY F-150 is 2,090 pounds...or 158 pounds more than the maximum on the Ram.

And max payload for the Ram is 1,932. Not 1,900, not 1,918.

Edited by EBFlex

was just teasing, figured as much...yep you are correct, all that is needed for 1900lbs in an F150 is a 3.7 145inch wheelbase regular cab...

Because without it, the max payload you can get on ANY F-150 is 2,090 pounds...or 158 pounds more than the maximum on the Ram.

you are losing a little perspective here EB, you are using but ONE truck in Dodges lineup for comparison purposes, literally the lightest payload avail on ANY F-150 is ( 2wd ) over 1700 ( if memory serves me correct )....which is within spitting distance of Rams re-clothed 2500 in tradesmans garb...the tradesman is not the only pickup in their lineup...so, in that context, delete the tradesman, and if payloads are a requirement, then YES, Ram is a little lacking....

GVW is raised to 8200, rear gearset is 9.75 inches, 3.73 limited slip, upgraded springs, radiator trans cooler and 7 lug wheels...for comparison purposes the F-250 basically starts at 8800 GVW.

you are losing a little perspective here EB, you are using but ONE truck in Dodges lineup for comparison purposes, literally the lightest payload avail on ANY F-150 is ( 2wd ) over 1700 ( if memory serves me correct )....which is within spitting distance of Rams re-clothed 2500 in tradesmans garb...the tradesman is not the only pickup in their lineup...so, in that context, delete the tradesman, and if payloads are a requirement, then YES, Ram is a little lacking....

Check your memory. Lightest payload of ANY F-150 is 980 pounds. Remember you said ANY F-150. Take the Raptor out of the mix, and it's 1300 pounds as I have already stated once in this thread today.

And, once again, The reason I am using ONE Dodge pickup is because of the false assertions made by RichardJensen. Read what he said...that the Ram 1500s max payload is 100 pounds more than the F-150s minimum. That couldn't be more false.

EDIT...missed the 2WD stipulation, the lightest 2WD drive payload is 1480...220 pounds less than 1700 pounds.

And lets be completely honest. Were talking about the difference of a few hundred pounds. That amount isn't going to make or break a truck.

Edited by EBFlex
  • Like 1

Check your memory. Lightest payload of ANY F-150 is 980 pounds. Remember you said ANY F-150. Take the Raptor out of the mix, and it's 1300 pounds as I have already stated once in this thread today.

And, once again, The reason I am using ONE Dodge pickup is because of the false assertions made by RichardJensen. Read what he said...that the Ram 1500s max payload is 100 pounds more than the F-150s minimum. That couldn't be more false.

actually I did say any f-150, in also stated that the Raptor should not be included as its purpose built for other applications...and 1370 constitutes a buying % smaller than the Raptor, but should you REALLY want the opulent Limited I would say you are more about bling than payload...my memory is fine thank you..the 1300 lb varient is such an infintesimal part of F-150 sales so as to remain redundant......

Edited by Deanh

actually I did say any f-150, in also stated that the Raptor should not be included as its purpose built for other applications...and 1370 constitutes a buying % smaller than the Raptor, but should you REALLY want the opulent Limited I would say you are more about bling than payload...my memory is fine thank you..the 1300 lb varient is such an infintesimal part of F-150 sales so as to remain redundant......

Just keeping you on your toes. :)

Did I read correctly in another thread that you are a sales person at a Ford dealer? If so, give your magic 8-ball a shake and tell me how much a Tremor is going to be. I don't think I can wait until fall to get something new, but a well priced Tremor may be worth the wait.

Edited by EBFlex

I understand, but I think the vast majority of pickup drivers are not in the same boat as you. I am also a 1/2 ton buyer and have no need for payload, just the occasional need to pull a boat. I would be fine with a 1200 pound payload. Most of the time, my truck is carrying myself, and only myself around, to and from work, etc. I tow maybe a dozen times a year.

I would be all over an Edge with a decent tow rating...I have no need for something as big as the Explorer (plus they're incredibly ugly) or, as I considered it more, the Flex (too cool I think)...or any 7 seat SUV. It's sad that manufactures are incapable of making a mid-sized, light duty SUV (like the Edge) with a 4000k+ tow rating. I'd be all over that (I love the Jeep but man to they command a price).

Wow, that's interesting. That's hardly more than a car-based Explorer!

Funny though, I wonder what kept Ford from just going to the 2K pound mark...what kept them from that one extra pound...

I'm not in the market for a 1/2 ton, just stating that many are. As I stated earlier, there are LOTS of people that tow with half ton trucks. Campgrounds are full of them!

And to get the payload, the max GVWR is used, then subtract the actual weight of the truck, and voila! That's what it's 1999 and not 2000.

Oh, and a Tremor would be awesome!