A: The 2015 Transit is a RWD vehicle. It is not available in AWD.

Q: Is a dual rear tire axle an option?

A: A dual rear wheel (DRW) model is available on the 2015 Transit Van.

Q: Is a manual transmission available?

A: A manual transmission is not available on the 2015 Transit.

Q: Which models feature diesel engines?

A: The 3.2L I-5 diesel engine will be available on most 2015 Transit Van and Wagon models. It will not be

available on 8- and 10-passenger Transit-150 Wagon, Transit-350 LWB Van and Transit-350 LWB EL Wagon.

Q: What will the GVWR rating be on the dual rear wheel (DRW) model?

A: The 2015 Transit-350 HD Van with dual rear wheels has a GVWR of 10,360 lbs.

• Like 2

I read somewhere (I have no idea where though) that Quigley was going to do 4X4 conversions on the transit. When I think Ford and Quigley, I picture a big solid axle stuffed under the front and jacked up all around. However, considering Ford already builds an AWD transit for the ROTW, I wonder if they will just be borrowing some of that and retrofitting it.

Edited by jpvbs

Was the take rate on the Econoline that great?

I'm assuming if its an issue, its something they can fix pretty quickly

THIS is an entirely diffeent beast....the Econoline hasnt changed since the lightbulb was invented....lol....

No AWD is a mistake IMO also. I've even written them and asked them to reconsider. Here is a response I received on May 30 2013.
To: "xxx xxx" <xxx@xxx.com>

Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us regarding the availability of all wheel drive on the 2015 Ford Transit.

We would like to thank you for you years of support and loyalty to the Ford Motor Company. We are very excited about the introduction of the Ford Transit to our North American market. The release date for the Ford Transit is currently the summer of 2014 for the 2015 model year. At the present time, there are no confirmed plans for an AWD version of the Ford Transit. However, we are anxious to hear from our family members about the features that would be welcome for this vehicle. You may share your suggestions with the rest of the Ford family at social.ford.com. You must register on the site and agree to the terms and conditions thereof.

The 2015 Ford Transit will feature 3 available roof heights, 3 available wheel bases and not only an available 3.5L EcoBoost engine, but also a 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke Diesel. This vehicle will be available in both van and wagon configurations to fulfill the many needs of our full-size van customers.

Our Marketing Program Headquarters can make it easier to purchase your 2015 Ford Transit by informing you of all the current incentives available. We can also send out a new vehicle brochure for any vehicle(s) that may interest you. Our number is 1-800-334-4375 and we are here Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm EST to assist you. When you call, we can also set up a demonstration drive at a time and dealership of your choice to experience the Transit first hand.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company

Sincerely,

Joshua

Marketing Program Headquarters

Ford Motor Company

IIRC, AWD is only available on Euro Transits with FWD and the East-West I-4 diesel engine,

which rules out the I-5 and V6 engines without significant rework.

While AWD would complete the line up, it's absence at the moment is probably not a deal breaker

for most potential Transit buyers. I think in this instance Ford is looking at capturing the bulk of the

market with RWD and then perhaps review potential sales for an AWD version vs opportunity cost.

Edited by jpd80

IIRC, AWD is only available on Euro Transits with FWD and the East-West I-4 diesel engine,

which rules out the I-5 and V6 engines without significant rework.

The outgoing AWD Transit has longitude engines.

The new one (fullsize Transit, not the midsize Transit Custom) will be available with AWD in Europe as well per Ford UK website.

So the lack of AWD in North America is a product decision, not a design limitation. I assume Ford has gauged the demand for AWD and found it lacking.

The outgoing AWD Transit has longitude engines.

The new one (fullsize Transit, not the midsize Transit Custom) will be available with AWD in Europe as well per Ford UK website.

So the lack of AWD in North America is a product decision, not a design limitation. I assume Ford has gauged the demand for AWD and found it lacking.

Are they available with Auto Transmission and AWD?

That could be a clue as to non-availability in the US.

I think the main reason would be a marketing decision to go after majority of sales without AWD complication at start up.

We're all aware of Ford's recent record with launches..maybe it's as simple as excluding AWD until RWD sales with the

new model are established first.

Edited by jpd80

I read somewhere (I have no idea where though) that Quigley was going to do 4X4 conversions on the transit. When I think Ford and Quigley, I picture a big solid axle stuffed under the front and jacked up all around. However, considering Ford already builds an AWD transit for the ROTW, I wonder if they will just be borrowing some of that and retrofitting it.

Here you go: http://www.quigley4x4.com/NewsandEvents/NewsEventsDetail/tabid/78/anid/45/Default.aspx

I think the main reason would be a marketing decision to go after majority of sales without AWD complication at start up.

We're all aware of Ford's recent record with launches..maybe it's as simple as excluding AWD until RWD sales with the

my thoughts as well, and gauging consumer feedback as well, from what I can gather the architecture is readily adaptable, little 8-12 pass diesel 4x4 in my opinion would/ could be a segment buster....

Yea, that's probably it... The only common engine between North America and European Transit is the 3.2 I5 diesel and I suspect the European AWD Transit may be manual only, or perhaps AWD is not available with the 3.2 I5. The 3.7 V6 and 3.5 Ecoboost drivetrain may have been engineered for RWD only, at least initially.

But I suppose it won't be difficult to add it if demand warrants it in the US.

Edited by bzcat

DRW maxing out at 10,000 lbs seems like a big mistake to me. Or is the E series supposed to carry on in the heavier weight ranges? Or might the LCF be returning with the 5 cyl diesel? Remember the E-550? Solid front axle and I think max GVW was 17 or 19,000. I have several dealer friends who were doing a good job with that truck and were disappointed when it was dropped.

I see Transit assuming the lighter range the E-150 used to do. I also think AWD may be seen in later years. The first year is KISS and make easier money in this market. Biker 16 showed pictures of the front setup so IIRC, it can be done.

Yea, that's probably it... The only common engine between North America and European Transit is the 3.2 I5 diesel and I suspect the European AWD Transit may be manual only, or perhaps AWD is not available with the 3.2 I5. The 3.7 V6 and 3.5 Ecoboost drivetrain may have been engineered for RWD only, at least initially.

But I suppose it won't be difficult to add it if demand warrants it in the US.

I hope they do because the 3.2 I-5 was given 6R80 Auto along with AWD take off for the T6 Ranger

so one would assume that some merging of existing engineering should be more than possible....

Edited by jpd80

Transit is initially the replacement for the E vans, so the GVWRs are comparable - but the Transit gets the DRW option in the 350 version and a higher GVWR than the E350 van. As to AWD, look at the Chevy Express van, they offer AWD as an option in the half ton and from what I see the take rate is low - almost never see one on a dealer lot, and this is in the snow belt. This may be a basis for Ford's decision.

As to the future, who knows? AWD on half tons, higher GVWR cab and chassis and cutaways, and other features are possible - we just wait and see