Ford Motor Company June 2013 Sales

So when are the new Expedition and Navigator coming? This is one area that GM consistently wipes the floor against Ford. But note the trend lines: GM sales are down about 20% while Ford sales are flat. Not sure what to make of that...

Tahoe 5,790 -9.9%

Suburban 3,813 -25.8%

Expedition 3,211 -4.5%

Yukon XL 1,824 -22.2%

Yukon 1,797 -21.1%

SEQUOIA 1,145 +8.8%

Armada 1,137 -35.5%

Escalade 1,035 -11.1%

GX 884 +13.6%

Navigator 680 +10.2%

Escalade ESV 667 +1.4%

LX 291 ‐7.3%

LAND CRUISER 259 ‐8.5%

G-CLASS 231 +362.0%

I wonder if buyers are waiting for the new full-size SUVs. From what I've seen, buyers of these GM SUVs are a loyal bunch, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have been following news of the new full-size pickups, and figured that new full-size SUVs are coming soon, too.

Edited by grbeck

I would say the Navigator and those listed comptes more with the GL not the G, and its sales were up 24.8% (2,419) last month they are close to the same price point. The G starts at about $115,000.

If I was in that market for a SUV I wouldn't even consider a current Navigator, probably be a GL or LX.

SUV's are where the luxury market is going, The new MKC, MKX, and Navigator should do well if they have good designs. - that is what has been missing at Lincoln for a long time.

This is just a list of BOF SUVs. I didn't include GL because it is unibody, the same reason I also didn't include GM's Lambda triplets.

But we can all agree that there is a lot of upside for Expedition and Navigator if Ford is willing to invest a little money in it.

I wonder if buyers are waiting for the new full-size SUVs. From what I've seen, buyers of these GM SUVs are a loyal bunch, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have been following news of the new full-size pickups, and figured that new full-size SUVs are coming soon, too.

It's a small and declining market but it's still a pretty profitable one - especially if you keep it simple and base it on the pickup truck chassis. Ford used to match GM's sales volume but then Ford made a mistake and assumed big SUV buyers wanted IRS and car like ride. That mistake kept the Expedition and Navigator from getting regular updates with the F-150 and Ford slowly bleed away the market share to GM.

The Taurus had a great month as well!!!

Do we know the number of regular Expy''s and EL Expy's Ford is selling? Cause a post above has listed Yukon and Yukon XL.

GM splits Tahoe and Suburban, so it logically follows that they would split Yukon and Yukon XL. To my knowledge Expedition has never been split.

Good info on days supply for a couple vehicles. They said Fusion was around 40 days, MKZ was at 28, so looks like both could be doing a little better, and hopefully will once Flat Rock goes online.

It has begun. 19 built at FR last week!

Link?

In early June, GM said the Cruze had its best May sales month since it was introduced in 2010. Three years later, the vehicle continues to be a top performer for the company even as it has unveiled new models and redesigned others both inside and outside of the Cruze’s segment.

“GM is giving a lot of car for the money,” said Jesse Toprak, an analyst at the automotive information website TrueCar.com.

Strong financing incentives have helped the Cruze over the years, but “it’s not like they’re giving it away. There are some dealerships giving leases for $99 per month, and those sorts of programs help propel sales,” Toprak said.

vindy.com (Youngstown News/July 3rd)

Edited by bobbyd

In early June, GM said the Cruze had its best May sales month since it was introduced in 2010. Three years later, the vehicle continues to be a top performer for the company even as it has unveiled new models and redesigned others both inside and outside of the Cruze’s segment.

“GM is giving a lot of car for the money,” said Jesse Toprak, an analyst at the automotive information website TrueCar.com.

Strong financing incentives have helped the Cruze over the years, but “it’s not like they’re giving it away. There are some dealerships giving leases for $99 per month, and those sorts of programs help propel sales,” Toprak said.

vindy.com (Youngstown News/July 3rd)

Thanks bobbyd! Here's the link to the Youngstown News article: http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jul/03/cruze-cruises-with-record-month/

In addition to sales incentives mentioned in the article, the Cruze's reliability has improved significantly since the car was first introduced in the U.S. market. There's a turbo diesel variant of the Cruze now available in this market, as well.

The Taurus had a great month as well!!!

Do we know the number of regular Expy''s and EL Expy's Ford is selling? Cause a post above has listed Yukon and Yukon XL.

Taurus is never advertised anywhere near as the other Ford Products are, but still does well each month. In June 2013, Taurus (not including the 700 + police units) easily outsold the Buick LaCross, Chrysler 300, Kia Cadenza and the heavily advertised Toyota Avalon! I own a 2013 Taurus...thank you very much!

Thanks bobbyd! Here's the link to the Youngstown News article: http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jul/03/cruze-cruises-with-record-month/

In addition to sales incentives mentioned in the article, the Cruze's reliability has improved significantly since the car was first introduced in the U.S. market. There's a turbo diesel variant of the Cruze now available in this market, as well.

I figure that those 'June' Cruze $99 /2 Yr leases would cost the new car buyer a total of $5400...including 6% sales tax. You can't find a Focus anywhere near that deal. I guess people are shopping for deals. Its like the Volt cutting prices...they lose money to get the sale !

Impala sales is mostly the outgoing model - fleet dumping... most of it going to rental cars. I would guess the new model sales is around the same level as other large sedans.

Hmmm,

10,000 extra Cruze sales thanks to super low lease deals

10,000 more Impala sales thanks to fleet sales

GM sales last month = 264,843

Ford combined sales last month = 235,64

Pretty obvious wht's going on here, GM wants to keep a "safe" gap between its sales and that of Ford?

A leopard never changes its spots..

Edited by jpd80

Hmmm,

10,000 extra Cruze sales thanks to super low lease deals

10,000 more Impala sales thanks to fleet sales

GM sales last month = 264,843

Ford combined sales last month = 235,64

Pretty obvious wht's going on here, GM wants to keep a "safe" gap between its sales and that of Ford?

A leopard never changes its spots..

Exactly!

If there is just one thing I could say about GM and its culture is that it centers around one principle and that is the company MUST be #1 in sales. Whatever it takes.

My thoughts on Chevy selling off the Impala fleet units and Cruze losing profit margin on giveaway low leases to gain sales... it has to show up when they post their actual profits for the 2nd quarter. Either way, they figure they took away potential Focus buyers by a big margin. So Ford is faced with Chevy cost cutting potential again in July (they did it with Volt in the past) and also our foreign friends from Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc....cutting the Yen to also gain an unfair advantage on Ford. I remember Mullaly's speech on that!!!

I know...I know...no rules here!

(I figured that if Cruze lost a $1000 per sale in June multiplied by 10,000 cars= $10 million lost revenue! ) Not sure, if any, that it hurts the residuals. I am sure it pisses off the guys that bought a Cruze and did NOT get the fire sale!

This is just a list of BOF SUVs. I didn't include GL because it is unibody, the same reason I also didn't include GM's Lambda triplets.

But we can all agree that there is a lot of upside for Expedition and Navigator if Ford is willing to invest a little money in it.

I don't know how much upside there is because GM is coming with all new full size SUVs in a few months. Considering Ford has never really had much of a chance against GM in this market it might be better to just pull out then invest tons of money to try and match the class leading GM SUVs. Sometimes it is better to focus on your strengths and just let GM have this dying market.

I don't know how much upside there is because GM is coming with all new full size SUVs in a few months. Considering Ford has never really had much of a chance against GM in this market it might be better to just pull out then invest tons of money to try and match the class leading GM SUVs. Sometimes it is better to focus on your strengths and just let GM have this dying market.

You don't have to be #1 in sales to make money.

Taurus is never advertised anywhere near as the other Ford Products are, but still does well each month. In June 2013, Taurus (not including the 700 + police units) easily outsold the Buick LaCross, Chrysler 300, Kia Cadenza and the heavily advertised Toyota Avalon! I own a 2013 Taurus...thank you very much!

I still read articles from auto critics who say, "While the Taurus is not selling like it use too" LOL! The Taurus use to be a mid size sedan and now it is a full size sedan! For a large sedan, the Taurus is selling well and like you said, Ford doesn't advertise it like they do the F150, Escape, Fusion, Edge and Explorer. I've always liked the Taurus and still like it better than the current Fusion.

True. I was just asking if we have any clue if Ford sells more El or regular Expy's.

If my own four eyes are to be trusted (which they might not be all of the time), I would say the regular Expy has sold more.

I still read articles from auto critics who say, "While the Taurus is not selling like it use too" LOL! The Taurus use to be a mid size sedan and now it is a full size sedan! For a large sedan, the Taurus is selling well and like you said, Ford doesn't advertise it like they do the F150, Escape, Fusion, Edge and Explorer. I've always liked the Taurus and still like it better than the current Fusion.

Those auto critics disingenuously neglect to mention that the old midsize Taurus was the quintessential fleet queen.

While advertisements for the current Taurus may not be substantial, sales incentives are. According to TrueCar, last month the Taurus recorded the largest discounts as a percentage of MSRP of any model in the large sedan category. Other Fords that topped their respective categories were E-Series, Focus, Edge, and Mustang.

Ford's incentives last month were very competitive, so the favorable sales results come as no surprise.

They may think they took sales from Ford, but a decade of experience with blowout sales suggests that they've mostly taken sales away from themselves (viz: "Keep America Rolling" in 2001/02 and Employee pricing in 2008.)

LOL, clearing down a mountain of inventory with discounted leases to customers who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

We all know that GM's culture hasn't changed but worse than that, it has bred a culture in GM buyers through pst

experience to hold off and wait for big cash incentives or killer lease deals, something that will be hard for them to break.

The GM-o-philes conveniently point their fingers at Ford's 32% fleet sales while GM has been down around 27%

but when asked how come Ford NA gets 10% return on revenue while GMNA is back at 7.4% there's no reply....

This preoccupation that fleet sales are bad is only predicated by GM when it suits them and as you said in an earlier post,

Ford insisting that daily rental companies buy vehicles more aligned with retail volume has a lot to do with maintaining profit

and future resale values. Something that GM and its fleet dumping culture doesn't get....

Edited by jpd80

If my own four eyes are to be trusted (which they might not be all of the time), I would say the regular Expy has sold more.

Those auto critics disingenuously neglect to mention that the old midsize Taurus was the quintessential fleet queen.

Exactly, Ford didn't bat an eyelid closing down Atlanta even though it was producing over 200,000 a year...

As I mentioned above, selling to fleets is acceptable providing that they buy products that align with retail

customers and at similar prices. Maintaining profit and resale values is key to the equation and the best way

to accomplish that is to have good products that people want to buy or rent...

Edited by jpd80