MKZ Problem

So a couple weeks ago the car started to make noise at and above 40 MPH. This is with all windows closed or open , top open or closed and it is not the horrible noise when the car switches to gas. It sounds like if wind is passing through and opening , more of a hum than a whine. Here is the issue - been at the dealer for now 2 days. First they replaced the entire exhaust system , not sure why. Ruled out gas tank ? and wind coming through the obvious however what is really scary was the shop said they are on the phone with designers and if they can not figure it out we may need to "discuss options"

Does not sound good

So a couple weeks ago the car started to make noise at and above 40 MPH. This is with all windows closed or open , top open or closed and it is not the horrible noise when the car switches to gas. It sounds like if wind is passing through and opening , more of a hum than a whine. Here is the issue - been at the dealer for now 2 days. First they replaced the entire exhaust system , not sure why. Ruled out gas tank ? and wind coming through the obvious however what is really scary was the shop said they are on the phone with designers and if they can not figure it out we may need to "discuss options"

Does not sound good

Do you know where the sound is coming from at all? Sure it's not the buffeting sound you hear? Perhaps faulty grill shutter. Without narrowing where the sound is, it's hard to troubleshoot.

Do you know where the sound is coming from at all? Sure it's not the buffeting sound you hear? Perhaps faulty grill shutter. Without narrowing where the sound is, it's hard to troubleshoot.

The dealer said it is internal but are checking with Lincoln designers and I think the sound is coming from under the car. Thought about the grills but I am sure they have check that but I am not sure what the "buffeting"sound your talking about - Sounds like a bad tire but that was ruled out as well -

Update on the car. The exhaust was replaced as something was wrong / broken however that was not the noise we heard. What is making the noise is the part that runs between the windshield and the pano roof. It is the length of the window and about 4 inches or so wide and appears to be glass. Now that we look at the part it appears to not sit flush and probably creates some drag plus with the gap it creates the wind noise as air passes over the window. Anyway we are heading off to Charleston SC on Friday so hope the wind does not rip it off ! Item is on back order so in a couple weeks it will be fixed -

As far as service the dealership was fine however we had to push to get a loaner , pay to put gas back in the loaner - Maybe I am asking too much but that does not seem like a luxury brand to me -

• 3 weeks later...
Update on the car. The exhaust was replaced as something was wrong / broken however that was not the noise we heard. What is making the noise is the part that runs between the windshield and the pano roof. It is the length of the window and about 4 inches or so wide and appears to be glass. Now that we look at the part it appears to not sit flush and probably creates some drag plus with the gap it creates the wind noise as air passes over the window. Anyway we are heading off to Charleston SC on Friday so hope the wind does not rip it off ! Item is on back order so in a couple weeks it will be fixed -

As far as service the dealership was fine however we had to push to get a loaner , pay to put gas back in the loaner - Maybe I am asking too much but that does not seem like a luxury brand to me -

Push for the loaner....that is typically a dealer issue- meaning if the customer wants or has concerns, they have "good-will" funds just for that even if Ford/Lincoln doesn't provide for that particular situation. It sounds like both the dealer, shop staff & F/L are being pro-active and direct on addressing the situation. Paying for the gas, well, even the BMW, etc depending on the issue are having the borrowers pay for the gas they use.

In 2006 when my Lincoln Mark LT was new, I felt what I thought was the tranny slipping at freeway speeds and the trans oil had a slight burn odor to it...after only 800 miles. I took it to a local dealer who put in writing (believe it or not) driver is hearing his aftermarket exhaust. I took the truck to galpin Lincoln, the 1st tech advised he could not duplicate and IMHO I might just be hearing the exhaust note change with engine load.......ok, a little more politely stated but, I spoke with Assist Service Manager...I pulled the tranny fluid level stick, he smelled the burn odor as I did...the service adviser agreed as well..........they asked if I could leave the truck for a MSE & tranny tech to assess...I agreed...they provided me a mustang as a loaner......although they kept me informed, I got my truck back 5 days later.....the MSE & Tech both agreed that what I was experiencing and smelling was "real", they did a series of on the road diagnostic tests with Ford/Lincoln to verify there were no other/obvious issues.....the engineers at Ford/Lincoln advised the new software programming for this tranny induced the feeling of the tranny "slipping" and as break-in of the tranny was completed in the next few hundred miles it should be totally eliminated with the help of a software update (it was) and the burn odor...well, that turned out to be an additive that Ford/Lincoln spec'd for the tranny fluid.....all new stuff for everyone. Galpin not only addressed the issue but filled my 34 gallon tank on the Mark LT.......I was very very surprised at that since they had only put about 15 miles on it.