Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name and go naturally aspirated

I never really understand why Ford paid to use the Shelby name for the current Mustang when Shelby had nothing to do with it. Seemed like a stupid waste of money... so a return to Mustang Cobra (or half a dozen other plausible non-Shelby options) seems smart.

I never really understand why Ford paid to use the Shelby name for the current Mustang when Shelby had nothing to do with it. Seemed like a stupid waste of money... so a return to Mustang Cobra (or half a dozen other plausible non-Shelby options) seems smart.

Exactly the reasoning why Ford dropped the Harley Davidson trim.

• Like 2

I believe the shelby gt500 name allowed for significantly higher transaction prices than the same car by a different name. I believe this model will continue on to the new mustang since Ford extended the contract for naming rights well into the life of new model as reported last year.

• Like 2

I'm hearing the engine bay is supposed to be smaller, due to pedestrian crash standards and a multitude of other factors, hence why the current supercharged 5.8 probably won't make it. This, of course, fueled rumors of a twin-turbo 5.0

I'd like to see a 3.5EB with extra boost sold as a Shelby GT-350, myself, as it could be a very well-balanced sports car.

any die hard Mustang fan........the 2.3 ecoboost will come in around 350 for an SVO , the V8 should remain fro the GT and Shelby/ SVT....

350? Dont know about that. Seems possible to me we might see a 2.9 v6 turbo rumored in the F series since they share engines a lot of the time. That engine could realistically make 350 hp.

Looking at things that might be even a remote possibility...

extrapolating the existing 5.8L V-8 to a V-10... a 7.3L 4V GDI DOHC TiVCT with a crank driven balance shaft. I doubt that it would be able to exceed the current (shelby gt500) power levels and would likely be heavier than the existing solution.

Maxing out the 3.7L V-6 with a more robust set of internals and a bigger set of turbos. So, 3.7L TiVCT TT GDI, potentially at current (shelby gt500) power levels in a lighter vehicle.

The possibility of the 5.0L V8 getting a twin-turbo and GDI and being used. I don't think that that particular powerplant will be suitable for the power levels desired without a major rework of the internals and likely the heads as well.

Things that are way out in left field:

Base powerplant, 3.5L EB, supplemented by a Hi-Po Hybrid setup, probably something similar to the KERS system in some of the LMS races. Where do you put the batteries? Weight?

7.0L TiVCT GDI N/A (basically 2 3.5L V6 engines bolted front to back... Might provide the needed power, but will be too long.

A combination of Supercharging and Turbo Charging on a 3.5L V-6 that has nothing but exotic internals and is setup for 600+ hp applications.

Importation of the 4.0L I-6 from Australia, reworking the head for TiVCT and GDI, a twin scroll turbo, and trying to extract the needed power from that. The narrowness allows a smaller engine bay, but the length may be an issue.

350? Dont know about that. Seems possible to me we might see a 2.9 v6 turbo rumored in the F series since they share engines a lot of the time. That engine could realistically make 350 hp.

the 2.0 eco boost right now is capable of 325.............I dont think we will see and eco Nano enging ( and its a 2.7 apparently ) in the Mustang......4 cylinder for sure...and funny, the 5.0 is going NO WHERE, so theres no doubt in my mind a twin turbo 5.0 will be the crown prince....

Perhaps they will go from 5.0 to 5.2 via the same route they used in going from 5.4 to 5.8 in the GT500 by using the plasma transfer wire arc process that applies a thin iron/iron oxide coating on the internal surfaces of the cylinder bores.

The coating also improves heat transfer between the combustion chamber and coolant while reducing friction between the piston rings and cylinder bore.