The Seinfeld Thread-A rambling, non-strict topic thread free-for-all

First off I want to put in my disclaimer, you guys started on the religion stuff so................

A Preacher was explaining that he must move on to a larger congregation that will pay him more. There is a hush within the congregation,... No one wanted him to leave.
Joe Smith, who owns several car dealerships in the area stands up and proclaims, ... 'If the Preacher stays, I will provide him with a new Cadillac every year, and his wife with a Honda mini-van to transport their children!' The congregation sighs in relief, and applauds.
Sam Brown, a successful entrepreneur and investor, stands and says, 'If the Preacher will stay on here, I'll personally double his salary, and also establish a foundation to guarantee the college education of all his children!' More sighs and loud applause.
Sadie Jones, age 88, stands and announces with a smile, 'If the Preacher stays, .... I will give him sex!' There is total silence. The Preacher, blushing, asks her, 'Mrs. Jones, whatever possessed you to say that?' Sadie's 90 year old husband Jake is now trying to hide, holding his forehead with the palm of his hand, and shaking his head from side to side, while his wife replies, 'Well, I just asked my husband how we could help the Preacher, and he said, .....'Screw him!'
  • Like 1

Sarcasm? Or are you suggesting caring for those in harms way are not worthy of caring about?

Well, I was being sarcastic but I am impressed that you left out the typical social criticism in your wanting to care about someone. Of course nothing says caring as much as calling out others, at least to conservatives I guess.

The 28 days later Zombies would be the worst. Followed by Romney supporters.

Romney supporters know how to use the words your and you're properly. Romney supporters also know that "Followed by Romney supporters." is an incomplete sentence and therefore, once again, an example of poor grammar skill. Try using a comma and linking the two sentences together instead.

All religions are hoaxes. How can people living in the modern world still believe the primative stories made up by ignorant tribesmen thousands of years ago? Maybe something happened; like aliens from outer space, and they were calling them gods; like we have "cargo cults" to-day. However, to use this to hijack morality and imply that believers in this crap are better than non-believers and that all moral notions are derrived from this is total brainwash. You don't have to believe in some false bullcrap to be a good person. You will soon be a crazy person if you get too deep into it.

All religions are hoaxes. How can people living in the modern world still believe the primative stories made up by ignorant tribesmen thousands of years ago? Maybe something happened; like aliens from outer space, and they were calling them gods; like we have "cargo cults" to-day. However, to use this to hijack morality and imply that believers in this crap are better than non-believers and that all moral notions are derrived from this is total brainwash. You don't have to believe in some false bullcrap to be a good person. You will soon be a crazy person if you get too deep into it.

I can't speak for everyone Trim, obviously. But I will try to answer your post with my own personal perspective on the matter. Is there something after the death of the body? Absolutely. I have had things happen to me in my life, seen things and experienced things that have left absolutely no doubt of that in my mind. There is no way that I can prove it to you if you if you don't want to accept it, nor would I even bother trying. And I'm not a religious zealot by any means. I understand the value of scientific advancements and I grasp them quite well for the most part and accept them as true. But what I am absolutely certain of is that there is more going on here than just cellular activity and biological function. There are even times when I wonder if all of this is really the illusion that we only think is real. But that gets into a whole existential realm and you just don't want to read a post that long I'm sure. Suffice it say that for me there is no doubt that there is more to life than just the day to day and then you die. Now, does that mean that its God? I don't know. I think its entirely possible that there is a God, but I also think that at best man in general is one fucked up, ignorant ass bunch and the notion that organized religion is somehow the only moral compass by which we must navigate our lives is nonsense. That's not to say that atheists have got it all figured out though because quite frankly they're just as ignorant. But, there is so much about religious doctrine that is just flat stupid as far as I'm concerned. One of the biggest problems I have with most religions is the manner in which women are treated or the role that they are "supposed" to play according to religious teachings. Take for instance the age old tradition that a man who wants to marry a woman is supposed to first ask her father for permission. The idea being that the father must consent to giving away his daughter. This tradition is founded in Christian culture and it's complete bullshit. She is not property. She is not yours to give away. She is a grown human being capable of making her own decision. The idea that the father must agree to give away his daughter is an insult to the daughter as far as I'm concerned. It demeans her and it ultimately says that she is nothing more than her fathers property. It makes me sick that people think this a proud and noble tradition and that when a man asks a woman's father for his consent that he is somehow a good traditional and honorable man. She's not your property jacks ass, just as she's not her father's property. She is a sentient human being, equal to you in every respect and rather than treating women as less than men or submissive to men I think it would behoove us to treat them as equals. To seek out their counsel and their wisdom and to accord them the same respect that you would any man. Only then will we have a truly just society. Religious doctrines for the most part, however, teach just the opposite. This is just one of many things that I find I disagree with when it comes to religion. What I'm trying to say is this. Religion in its earliest forms was nothing but politics. It was mans attempt to control other men. To control their behavior and their actions. What better way to control them then by telling them that if they don't abide by the teachings that they will be eternally damned to hell. Clever but ultimately a lie. Why must people attend church in order to be right with God? Is God not everywhere? Am I incapable of having a conversation with God in the privacy of my own home? Why must I go to church to prove to everyone that I am a good person. My own council will I keep as to whether or not I am a good man. So in some respects, religion does offer some good to our society. it is a means by which people will conform to a behavior that does not result in anarchy and violence. But it also has brought with it a lot of negative aspects that I reject out of hand. So as for me, the final decision is that I will respect and honor God because I believe he is there and I know there is something more than life. But religion is a construct of men and it has been perverted into something it was never meant to be. If others choose to follow its teachings, that is their choice. I will follow my own path and still be a just man. I don't know how many believers like me are out there but that is my take on it. Hope that helps you out.

Edited by BlackHorse

Romney supporters know how to use the words your and you're properly. Romney supporters also know that "Followed by Romney supporters." is an incomplete sentence and therefore, once again, an example of poor grammar skill. Try using a comma and linking the two sentences together instead.

LOL. Romney won a lot of the lowest graduation rate states, so you're pretty much wrong.

Why do you all argue over all these things that mean nothing? It's plainly stated in the Constitution what the governments job is, which isn't much. Both parties have had plenty of time in power over the last 100 years and neither has done well. We are in steady decline as a nation but no one wants to admit it, just argue who's fault it is while it continues to get worse. WAKE UP PEOPLE, I'm sure the regular Joe Roman citizens, German and every other failed nations people thought the same things we are all thinking.

OK I'm done adding nothing to this. Continue on.

Why do you all argue over all these things that mean nothing? It's plainly stated in the Constitution what the governments job is, which isn't much. Both parties have had plenty of time in power over the last 100 years and neither has done well. We are in steady decline as a nation but no one wants to admit it, just argue who's fault it is while it continues to get worse. WAKE UP PEOPLE, I'm sure the regular Joe Roman citizens, German and every other failed nations people thought the same things we are all thinking.

OK I'm done adding nothing to this. Continue on.

Why not argue? it's just another way to pass the time. I think this serves a purpose as it allows people to blow off steam and present there views. I enjoy it because it's a mixed crowd.

LOL. Romney won a lot of the lowest graduation rate states, so you're pretty much wrong.

I don't know where you're getting your facts but it sounds like straight out of your ass. First of all the high school dropout rate on a national scale is the lowest it has been in over 20 years at 7.4 %. Secondly, inner city schools in large metropolitan areas have by far the highest dropout rate. Cleveland is number one with only 38% of students graduating and Baltimore is number two with only 41% of students graduating. New York city was up there too with only 54% of students graduating. These are the areas with the highest dropout rates in the country. Guess what else they are? Liberal cities, run by liberals, with failed liberal policies. Congratulations Langston, you have once again demonstrated your profound ignorance.

Edited by BlackHorse

I don't know where you're getting your facts but it sounds like straight out of your ass. First of all the high school dropout rate on a national scale is the lowest it has been in over 20 years at 7.4 %. Secondly, inner city schools in large metropolitan areas have by far the highest dropout rate. Cleveland is number one with only 38% of students graduating and Baltimore is number two with only 41% of students graduating. New York city was up there too with only 54% of students graduating. These are the areas with the highest dropout rates in the country. Guess what else they are? Liberal cities, run by liberals, with failed liberal policies. Congratulations Langston, you have once again demonstrated your profound ignorance.

So your basically attacking heavy minority areas but calling them "Liberals". Like i didn't see that here before.

But lets widen our scope a little bit.

In 2010-2011 the top states for high school graduation were these

Iowa

Wisconsin

Vermont

Indiana

Nebraska

New Hampshire

North Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Illinois

We find that it's pretty much split 50-50.

Now if we look at the top ten states (including DC) for college graduates

Wash DC.

Massachusetts

New York

Minnesota

New Jersey

Connecticut

Iowa

Maryland

New Hampshire

10. tie Virginia

Illinois

Is it just my imagination or did the top 10 all go to Obama

Now we get to the lowest high school rates...(three red states did not release figures)

Nevada

New Mexico

Georgia

Oregon

Alaska

Louisiana

Florida

Alabama

South Carolina

Michigan

Now again it seems to be split evenly.

and for lowest college grad rate

Nevada

Arkansas

New Mexico

West Virginia

Oklahoma

Louisiana

Alabama

Mississippi

Texas

Idaho

Looks like Romney has a pretty solid lead in the states with the worst college grad rates.

So Blackhorse thank you for playing but my statement is true. Romney did win a lot of the states with the lowest graduation rate.

I can't speak for everyone Trim, obviously. But I will try to answer your post with my own personal perspective on the matter. Is there something after the death of the body? Absolutely. I have had things happen to me in my life, seen things and experienced things that have left absolutely no doubt of that in my mind. There is no way that I can prove it to you if you if you don't want to accept it, nor would I even bother trying. And I'm not a religious zealot by any means. I understand the value of scientific advancements and I grasp them quite well for the most part and accept them as true. But what I am absolutely certain of is that there is more going on here than just cellular activity and biological function. There are even times when I wonder if all of this is really the illusion that we only think is real. But that gets into a whole existential realm and you just don't want to read a post that long I'm sure. Suffice it say that for me there is no doubt that there is more to life than just the day to day and then you die. Now, does that mean that its God? I don't know. I think its entirely possible that there is a God, but I also think that at best man in general is one fucked up, ignorant ass bunch and the notion that organized religion is somehow the only moral compass by which we must navigate our lives is nonsense. That's not to say that atheists have got it all figured out though because quite frankly they're just as ignorant. But, there is so much about religious doctrine that is just flat stupid as far as I'm concerned. One of the biggest problems I have with most religions is the manner in which women are treated or the role that they are "supposed" to play according to religious teachings. Take for instance the age old tradition that a man who wants to marry a woman is supposed to first ask her father for permission. The idea being that the father must consent to giving away his daughter. This tradition is founded in Christian culture and it's complete bullshit. She is not property. She is not yours to give away. She is a grown human being capable of making her own decision. The idea that the father must agree to give away his daughter is an insult to the daughter as far as I'm concerned. It demeans her and it ultimately says that she is nothing more than her fathers property. It makes me sick that people think this a proud and noble tradition and that when a man asks a woman's father for his consent that he is somehow a good traditional and honorable man. She's not your property jacks ass, just as she's not her father's property. She is a sentient human being, equal to you in every respect and rather than treating women as less than men or submissive to men I think it would behoove us to treat them as equals. To seek out their counsel and their wisdom and to accord them the same respect that you would any man. Only then will we have a truly just society. Religious doctrines for the most part, however, teach just the opposite. This is just one of many things that I find I disagree with when it comes to religion. What I'm trying to say is this. Religion in its earliest forms was nothing but politics. It was mans attempt to control other men. To control their behavior and their actions. What better way to control them then by telling them that if they don't abide by the teachings that they will be eternally damned to hell. Clever but ultimately a lie. Why must people attend church in order to be right with God? Is God not everywhere? Am I incapable of having a conversation with God in the privacy of my own home? Why must I go to church to prove to everyone that I am a good person. My own council will I keep as to whether or not I am a good man. So in some respects, religion does offer some good to our society. it is a means by which people will conform to a behavior that does not result in anarchy and violence. But it also has brought with it a lot of negative aspects that I reject out of hand. So as for me, the final decision is that I will respect and honor God because I believe he is there and I know there is something more than life. But religion is a construct of men and it has been perverted into something it was never meant to be. If others choose to follow its teachings, that is their choice. I will follow my own path and still be a just man. I don't know how many believers like me are out there but that is my take on it. Hope that helps you out.

Reply by Trimdingman:

I have no beliefs. Atheism is a belief. I don't believe that there is a God and I don't believe that there isn't a God. I am 99.999999% certain that at least one thing in the Bible is inaccurate. To be a Christian, you have to believe it all. I think that the story of Jesus is made up. He never existed. If someone proves that he did exist, I will say "wow". It will not tear me up inside because it is not something that is important to me. Is there an afterlife? I am 50-50 on that. There is another possibility. We exist in a multiverse, and there are a near infinite number of each of us. If we die in one universe, we still live in others. Ways are discovered to prolong life. We evolve out of physical bodies. We go on forever.
Edited by Trimdingman