Ford Motor Company May 2013 Sales Figures

The MKZ is not suppose to sell block buster like. Lincoln is aware it's not going to sell like 30-50K like the LS did, and they wont say what their goal is, but if it's 25K I believe they will be happy with that, only because its what the competition usually sells like.

The MKZ is not suppose to sell block buster like. Lincoln is aware it's not going to sell like 30-50K like the LS did, and they wont say what their goal is, but if it's 25K I believe they will be happy with that, only because its what the competition usually sells like.

Actually, somewhere between 30-50K is exactly the pace it is currently on if sales continue as they have the past couple of months.

MKS sales decline has been consistant, so while the MKZ is taking a few of those sales, it isn't much (of course, there wasn't much to take). I think the MKZ is doing great, and see that continuing, as it is an incredibly striking car in the wild. People like something different and exclusive in the higher price ranges, and this car has it.

This is why I think sales will stay strong. As more people see them on the road, more people will check them out at the dealership.

The ATS, for Cadillac, is where I would be concerned. Untold Billions for appx 3000 a month sales?? 3 series still outselling it 3-1. Maybe this copying BMW thing isn't the best route. Everyone keeps talking about how things will get better when the new CTS comes out. Why?? It will be a lot more expensive. If sales of the ATS don't pick up after the new CTS is out........................... at what point do we call it a flop??

I think jpd80 has access to inventory data from Automotive News.

MKZ inventory was around 11,000 of the start of May and Ford was building at a rate of around 4,000/mth

Ford said in April's sales call that MKZ's supply and delivery levels were approaching "normal"

MKZ inventory was around 11,000 of the start of May and Ford was building at a rate of around 4,000/mth

Ford said in April's sales call that MKZ's supply and delivery levels were approaching "normal"

Thanks as always jpd80 for sharing this information! :worship:

Sounds about normal based on sales the last couple months. May still take a little longer to get the right mix of that inventory around the country though as it gets tweaked based on what options customers seem to be gravitating toward.

I see the MKZ as being just one of several new products desperately needed by Lincoln,

MKC and a next gen MKX can't come quick enough, expecting MKZ to carry the lot is a bit much

and that's why talk of a reinvented Lincoln is quite premature to the people that matter most - actual buyers.

Also, product mix, is Ford seeing significant back orders for insufficient quantities of desirable models?

Ford did say that it intended ramping up hybrid production by about 30%, maybe not quick enough?

In previous sales calls, mention was made of strong hybrid sales,

I wonder if Lincoln has let the genie out of the bottle and now cannot supply enough of these.

And make no mistake, when Ford acknowledges that MKZ is drawing sales away from MKS...that's a problem

One that will get worse until resolved by a new MKZ...

Edited by jpd80

If sales of the ATS don't pick up after the new CTS is out........................... at what point do we call it a flop??

Fall 2013 - after the new Lexus IS and Infiniti Q50 have been introduced - should be an appropriate juncture to make that assessment.

In May 2013, Cadillac ATS ranked third in U.S. sales among rear-wheel drive compact executive sedans. It trailed BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class but was ahead of the Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 Sedan. The latter two models are near the end of their current product cycles.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

I just attempted to view the "other side" over at GMI to see what our competition's supporters think...and wow. There are few users there that remind me of a certain Panther fan that used to lurk here once upon a time.

I love that this site seems to have honest, open discussions about both Ford and its competition, and not just blind "fan-boys" who think everything Ford has ever made is perfection.

• Like 1

MAY SALES BY BRAND

Ford 239,280

Lincoln 7,305

Total Vehicles 246,58

Buick 17,982

Cadillac 17,982

Chevrolet 179,510

GMC 41,594

Total GM 252,894

Ford shouldn't worry about competitors, just keep getting new productsto market as they come due

and ramp up sales to maximize effect. 2013 is going to be a very good year for Ford NA's bottom line,

it has to be for the rest of Ford's sake...

Edited by jpd80

No one noted how close Infiniti's sales numbers are to Lincoln this month! Their lineup is just as fresh as Lincoln's with possibly more appealing rear-drive luxury sport sedans, coupes and even convertibles. Today I drove the MKZ 3.7 AWD and to compare to my test drive of the 2.0 FWD Ecoboost, I must say I found no compelling reason to get the bigger engine since it didn't really seem smoother, quieter or even that much faster than the 2.0. The only thing you really get is bragging rights to having an engine not offered in the Fusion.

The Dodge Dart may have to renamed the Dodge Dud. Less than 7,500 sold in May. Compare that to the 27,000 Foci that were sold.

Ok, so well established models from Ford vs new nameplate models from the competition, got it. Is the PIs, C-max and Fiesta POS flops too?. Because those new models isn't the world on fire either.

Dodge knows the Dart isnt selling as they would have hoped for and is trying to push creative marketing to get them out the door...next step, rebates... I think they would have done better to just keep the Caliber which was a real POS. I wonder how the Dart will age. I remember the 2-3 year old Neons looked like 15 year old Saturns. With huge panel gaps. Cept the Saturn at least at a better paint job.

Fall 2013 - after the new Lexus IS and Infiniti Q50 have been introduced - should be an appropriate juncture to make that assessment.

In May 2013, Cadillac ATS ranked third in U.S. sales among rear-wheel drive compact executive sedans. It trailed BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class but was ahead of the Lexus IS and Infiniti G35 Sedan. The latter two models are near the end of their current product cycles.

For sure. Now, IIRC, the ATS is available only as a 4-dr sedan. Just wondering, how many 3-Series 4-dr sedans and C-Class 4-dr sedans were sold. These two brands have an extensive model range (2-dr coupes and rag/hard-tops, wagons), and when those sales are removed from the equation, perhaps the ATS is selling more adequately? :)

Dodge knows the Dart isnt selling as they would have hoped for and is trying to push creative marketing to get them out the door...next step, rebates... I think they would have done better to just keep the Caliber which was a real POS. I wonder how the Dart will age. I remember the 2-3 year old Neons looked like 15 year old Saturns. With huge panel gaps. Cept the Saturn at least at a better paint job.

Dodge is hoping Dart sales turn around when the Dart GT with the 2.4L debuts. The Dart is really too heavy for the 2.0L and 1.4L turbo.

No one noted how close Infiniti's sales numbers are to Lincoln this month! Their lineup is just as fresh as Lincoln's with possibly more appealing rear-drive luxury sport sedans, coupes and even convertibles.

I'd argue that Infiniti has a more well-rounded lineup, especially a full compliment of great crossovers topping out with the well-executed JX. Yet nobody is telling Nissan to "get out the holy water."

I just attempted to view the "other side" over at GMI to see what our competition's supporters think...and wow. There are few users there that remind me of a certain Panther fan that used to lurk here once upon a time.

I love that this site seems to have honest, open discussions about both Ford and its competition, and not just blind "fan-boys" who think everything Ford has ever made is perfection.

I spend some time over at GMI. What's been fun to watch is the site's founder coming to call out GM for their lack of leadership in just about any meaningful segment. Parts of his flock may be turning on him, but his arguments are spot on.

That being said, I did enjoy a poster over there saying in their GM May Sales thread something to the effect of "GM is teh best in teh world! Buick and Cadillac are teh best! Nobody comes close!". When I pointed out that, besides Verano, every Buick was down considerably, and that Ford + Lincoln were within spitting distance of all of GM's sales numbers, I got a hardy "keep chasing that dream, boy! It's never going to happen! Ford sucks!" in return. Ahh, fanboi-ism.

:headscratch:

I mean honestly, what do you want the MKZ to do in order to qualify as a "blockbuster"? It's outselling the ATS. It's outselling the CTS. It's outselling the XTS. I would say it's performing admirably and likely at least meeting Lincoln's expectations to this point, if not surpassing them.

Wow, really? If I'm GM, those numbers have to be disappointing that none of the 3 models outsell MKZ. To me, all you have to do is look at the month over month relative to the year over year. YoY, Lincoln is down 10.5%, but MoM, Lincoln is up 0.4%. That's the evidence the MKZ has stopped the slide, as you stated. If the MKZ had fell flat, MoM would be in line w/ the YoY numbers.