New Escape vs MKC build questions

Please help me to remain a 3 Ford family. We just got a '13 Escape back in October, it's my wife's daily driver and she picked it out based on many criteria. It has the 2.0 Ecoboost and that is the reason I'm posting. It's been to two different dealers service bays for the tick, tick, tick noise my wife is hearing. Both dealers say the noise level is within normal operating parameters. The noise is the high compression injectors slamming shut (I think) and I can hear it from inside the cabin with the radio off while in park, just barely. But my wife's hearing is better than mine and she can hear it will driving back roads listening to audio books on her ipod. She admits she can't hear it at highway speed or with the radio playing. One tech said she was not the first person to complain about the noise from the 2.0 and she drove another 2.0 Escape briefly while waiting at the dealer, heard the noise, so did the salesperson, but said it was a little quieter than hers. Oh well.

So my question, this engine is going into the Lincoln (actually already in the Lincoln), so what sound deadening material or noise canceling technology can be added to my wife's Escape? I'm pretty sure a Lincoln is not going to be noisy. Any help will be appreciated. Between this noise and the recurring MFT issues (she is of the type that believes things should just work as advertized, and when her phone or ipod don't behave the same with MFT all the time she gets annoyed that she must "reboot" or "reset" stuff) that she is second guessing the purchase.

The 3.6L SIDI engine (VIN V - RPO LLT) uses a direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures. A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm. The rapid ticking noise on cold start up is the fuel pump (located on the rear of the left cylinder head) building up high fuel pressure. When the engine warm-up is completed, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to tick at a lower rate of approximately one tick per second during idle. The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under higher fuel pressures. These sounds are the results of a normal direct injection fuel system operating properly.

The above is a common occurrence on a lot of DI engines, some are slightly noisier than others

but really there's not much you can do to overcome what is an engineering problem.

Edited by jpd80

The above is a common occurrence on a lot of DI engines, some are slightly noisier than others

but really there's not much you can do to overcome what is an engineering problem.

Hey thanks, I don't doubt the engine is noisy by design, but am assuming in the Lincoln version Ford will have deadened the noise somehow. And I would be able to have the same thing done to my escape to deaden the noise.

Edited by tucker_bmd

I have a 2.0L and have never noticed the noise. This isn't a poke at the misses, but could it be she hears the normal sound and is now obsessing on it? I know you stated you and the salesman heard it on other cars, but if you listen close enough, your brain will hear anything it wants, and as already stated, this is common with direct injection engines. The Escape has thicker side windows and laminated sound deadening windshield glass, extra sound proofing in the carpet, A pillars, doors and fire wall. During the build up to launch, they were touting the green aspect by stating old blue jean and cotton material was being recycled to provide the sound proofing material and was also used to make the carpets, cargo carpet, under body air dam and wheel well liners. There is already the Ford part insulation in place and I'm not sure the design allows for two pieces of the same insulation to be fitted in the same place. There are aftermarket auto sound proofing materials out there that come in rolls and look like the silver insulation material for houses and also in a thicker cloth material. Take your car to a body or custom shop and have them pull up the carpet and add the type that will fit at the firewall, pull off (and reinstall) the under hood insulation and add some there, remove the door panels and pad the inside of the doors, that should make it nice and quiet.

Edited by transitman

the recurring MFT issues (she is of the type that believes things should just work as advertized, and when her phone or ipod don't behave the same with MFT all the time she gets annoyed that she must "reboot" or "reset" stuff) that she is second guessing the purchase.

You might check out which version OS is used by the iPod and by the phone. That's not to deny that MFT has glitches, but sometimes the device contributes. IIRC, Apple has a track record of being somewhat difficult to work with. :)