New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

mackinaw

Hinrich: Quality is Ford's Highest Priority

Interesting read, mostly because they admit to customer dissatisfaction with the touch panels and will be returning to knobs. Which is fine, they've done this with the panels in the Edge and Explorer (non Sony) and I like them best. I still prefer how Lincoln is doing it with the sliders, but controlling the temperature is not a great experience with the touch buttons. I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.

As for quality, I don't doubt their commitment after the fact, I simply doubt their skill and resource commitment prior to the fact.

Edited by BORG

I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.

Of course you do.

Then again, you're one of the few who insists it is, in fact, in "the dark ages". As for a next generation, it would be silly to assume that they aren't working on it, but why would they share anything about it at this point?

Interesting read, mostly because they admit to customer dissatisfaction with the touch panels and will be returning to knobs. Which is fine, they've done this with the panels in the Edge and Explorer (non Sony) and I like them best. I still prefer how Lincoln is doing it with the sliders, but controlling the temperature is not a great experience with the touch buttons. I still want to hear more about MyFord Touch progress beyond software patches, at least I hope something dramatic is going on for the future to bring this system out of the dark ages.

As for quality, I don't doubt their commitment after the fact, I simply doubt their skill and resource commitment prior to the fact.

My wife and I love our C-Max and MyFord touch..... :yahoo:

Borg: U r spot on in the commitment catagory, I am waiting to see what ford does witht he ecoboost issue in the f-150 if they redesign the intercooler so it works in all situations or just do a patch work fix??

Edited by kenp77

Borg: U r spot on in the commitment catagory, I am waiting to see what ford does witht he ecoboost issue in the f-150 if they redesign the intercooler so it works in all situations or just do a patch work fix??

I would assume the next gen of V6 EB engines will use the newer intercooler design first implemented on the 1.5 EB.

I would assume the next gen of V6 EB engines will use the newer intercooler design first implemented on the 1.5 EB.

I sure hope so, was at my ford dealer today and asked the service manager about the 5.0 or eco in an f-150 and he told me point blank if he were buying today it would be the 5.0 said he has not had one come back into the shop and they r still getting fixes for the eco intercooler and the difference in mileage and power is very small, so think my mind is made up...

I sure hope so, was at my ford dealer today and asked the service manager about the 5.0 or eco in an f-150 and he told me point blank if he were buying today it would be the 5.0 said he has not had one come back into the shop and they r still getting fixes for the eco intercooler and the difference in mileage and power is very small, so think my mind is made up...

2.0 EB still uses the old design as well right?

2.0 EB still uses the old design as well right?

Honestly I do not know, I have only been watching the 3.5 in the f-150 as that is the vehicle I am looking to purchase soon??

When is the next generation of V6 EB's going to be available. I'd like to wait out to get a nano, if 2015 or before.

IIRC, the EB 35, 20 and 16 are 1st gen. The EB 10 I'm not sure but the EB 15 looks like 2nd gen. Taking into account the different power settings of the EB 35 in the D3 and the F-series.

The current Ford brochure literature doesn't really show enough of the base to mid-level configurations such as dual speedo/tach and knobs in D3, and CD3 models. If touch-screen GUI is such a bug-bear I feel it's because of the customers not used to that setup in an automobile. I went back to a standard 3 knob from a mobile style device in the Fiesta. IIRC, Windows 8 Mobile maybe a benchmark for the upcoming SYNC/MF/MFT replacement. That's not a bad thing IMO.

I think the single largest problems with customers with touch screens, is they do not let them complete a function before they are punching other buttons. Then they complain that the screens aren't doing what they want them to do. It is a familiarity thing that will get better over time.

The funny thing being, I find the touch screen in the Explorer to be much easier to deal with than the one on my Kindle, or my husbands Droid. They are so oversensitive that it is incredibly easy to accidentally end up where you don't want to be. I would never want the screen in my vehicle to be like that.

I think the single largest problems with customers with touch screens, is they do not let them complete a function before they are punching other buttons. Then they complain that the screens aren't doing what they want them to do. It is a familiarity thing that will get better over time.

The funny thing being, I find the touch screen in the Explorer to be much easier to deal with than the one on my Kindle, or my husbands Droid. They are so oversensitive that it is incredibly easy to accidentally end up where you don't want to be. I would never want the screen in my vehicle to be like that.

That's because the Ford system is very laggy, the customer shouldn't have to be patient with the interface, this is a very old problem.

Ford's touch screens are by far the worst I've used, and I've used them all. The touch force to use the screen is very unpredictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I spend too much time wondering if the system is just lagging or I didn't apply the right force this time. I can understand the need reduced sensitivity, but Ford has calibrated their systems very poorly. It's just a complete turd, I genuinely hate the system at this point and I really don't want to buy another one. I mean my navigation system took 5 minutes to 'compute' a 12 minute route today. It did the same thing a day before. And don't get my started on Bluetooth Audio. Nothing works right or works well. The only thing that is trouble free are the climate controls. It's enough to drive me to a Merc next time.

Edited by BORG

Ford's touch screens are by far the worst I've used, and I've used them all.

No they aren't and no you haven't.

No they aren't and no you haven't.

U-Connect, MyLink (just yesterday in fact), CUE, iDrive, Toyota's, Lexus, Audi MMI....keep naming them.

You've used all of those systems for three years, have you? I don't believe it.

Further, your universal claim that Ford's touch screens are the "worst" and that you've used 'every' touch screen was hardly limited to vehicles.

Finally, Ford will never please you because you are one who cannot be pleased--and if you dispute this claim, please furnish evidence of you being pleased with anything thta doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

I used the navigation on my Edge several times yesterday and it worked flawlessly. The response rate was pretty solid and entering destinations was far less aggravating than in the past prior to the 3.5.1 update. Lag was minimal. Just thought I'd share. :)

Out of curiosity how long has MFT been around and how many upgrades has it gone through?

Out of curiosity how long has MFT been around and how many upgrades has it gone through?

Since I've had my Edge (pretty early on in the MFT life-cycle) there have been several incremental patches and two major updates.

Looking back, it really is a vastly improved system than when I bought my car in terms of stability and speed, and I was one of the ones who didn't even experience too many issues either.

It launched September 2010 on the 2011 Edge as version 1.8. There were at least 4 or 5 releases the first year and several more since then. They're on 3.5 now.

If MFT is not a stand alone option it should be. For those of you that like it and have no trouble with it more power to you. Its killing Fords quality ratings. You have to wonder at some point if anybody has considered scuttling the entire system and starting over. How long should it take them to work the bugs out?

You have to wonder at some point if anybody has considered scuttling the entire system and starting over. How long should it take them to work the bugs out?

Depends on how bad the original code was...the issue is that it might cause even more problems to totally redesign the code...the system seems pretty complex IMO and it would take at least 24 months of development to get it "right"

People have to quit thinking that IT is like a lightswitch...it just works when you turn it on...its far from that and it takes time for it to get that way.

MFT isn't near as bad as people make it out to be who don't own it..it has quirks but nothing show stopping IMO