Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

chuck zepfel

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective

95 complaints out of 400,000 vehicles.

Ok.

The damage of course is always the press. Have Boston's (actually make that New England's) no 1 AM station on. Headline teaser..."Ford has problems with F-150 blah blah." Slow news day-no drive by shootings last night.

Yeah, I get the feeling that tis battle will be won and lost in the press.

Screaming headlines that 400,000 F150s being investigated because 95 owners launch a class action suit.

I can't help feeling that Ford marginalizing these few owners will cause it so much unnecessary grief.

How many times have we heard of a few owners having inexplicable problems with normally fault free vehicles

surely in these instances, going the extra mile for the sake of good name and reputation is better than bad press.

Some will say that the effort isn't worth the silence but gosh, look where we are now with negative publicity...

Edited by jpd80

Yeah, I get the feeling that tis battle will be won and lost in the press.

Screaming headlines that 400,000 F150s being investigated because 95 owners launch a class action suit.

I can't help feeling that Ford marginalizing these few owners will cause it so much unnecessary grief.

How many times have we heard of a few owners having inexplicable problems with normally fault free vehicles

surely in these instances, going the extra mile for the sake of good name and reputation is better than bad press.

Some will say that the effort isn't worth the silence but gosh, look where we are now with negative publicity...

Ford is doing the same thing with the eco they did with the spark plug issue in the 04-07 5.4 is about time ford is held accountable!!

Ford is doing the same thing with the eco they did with the spark plug issue in the 04-07 5.4 is about time ford is held accountable!!

Don't really see where a parallel can be drawn there.

Don't really see where a parallel can be drawn there.

I will see if Ican make it clearer for u the spark plug issue was simply a design flaw which ford never did one thing for us folks who were paying $800 for a plug change and I suspect the eco turbo intercooler is also a design flaw as there r thousands of turbo engines out there from various manufacturers with no issues!!!

I will see if Ican make it clearer for u the spark plug issue was simply a design flaw which ford never did one thing for us folks who were paying $800 for a plug change and I suspect the eco turbo intercooler is also a design flaw as there r thousands of turbo engines out there from various manufacturers with no issues!!!

And sometimes design flaws are not found until there are tens or hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road with tens of thousands of real-world miles on them. It happens! Tell me about a vehicle that has NEVER had a single design flaw and I'll show you a mirror so you can see a liar!

In case you have trouble with math...let's assume 100 thousand vehicles with 20 thousand miles each...that is 2 billion miles of real-world driving! And we know there are lots more than 100k EB engines out there.

Yeah, and the place where there are no parallels is that Ford actually seems to have a handle on a solution for the Ecoboost design "flaw", if you would even call it that.

The intercooler is different than the spark plugs because the spark plugs is a maintenance item and they did come out with a fix.

Some people may have paid $800.00 for the change, but if they spent that much after the fix, they let themselves be taken advantage of by the

dealership. I agreed to pay the same amount as any other spark plug change whether the plugs broke or not.

The intercooler is not something that should be changed so I believe Ford will come out with a recall.

When they shut down and shudder its a pretty scary situation, shudder doesn't describe it. Its straight violent.

I hauled it in after being able to repeat the issue a few times in a row, but no parts on my SCREW F150 EB just a reflash and a pat on the ass. So far so good on the shudder. It also cleared up the off the line stumble that I now believe was a misfire. Rattles a little at slow speed and medium load (more misfiring I think).

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to give this truck away in a few years, the shudder, engine rattles and the condition/smell of the oil and a ton of condensation under the oil cap makes me believe it won't be long for this world.

Its cool though- I love the truck. Try not to worry- try to believe it will be fine and its normal.

This is not normal - add the VIN of your truck and someone will be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done.

The damage of course is always the press. Have Boston's (actually make that New England's) no 1 AM station on. Headline teaser..."Ford has problems with F-150 blah blah." Slow news day-no drive by shootings last night.

I don't know of an actual F150 owner that makes these complaints - ask someone to provide the VIN of their truck, they won't provide it, because they are a Toyota or GM or RAM supporter, quite possibly a paid "blogger". I personally know 3 individuals with the 3.5 EB, all three are ecstatic about the engine, I have a V8 for a couple reasons - I don't drive all that much, sometimes I don't even exceed 200 miles in a month so mpg isn't that important to me, the sound of a V8 firing up is a pleasant change to the usual kids screaming and it may be therapeutic, perhaps I should claim my next truck as a "support vehicle", perhaps I could get it on the plane with me?? Tangents aside, "Chevy's" is a paid blogger as GM is looking for anyway to get people to buy their vehicles. The only people I know with a Chevy truck get them at 30% discounts and I am not kidding. My daughter's soccer coach just got one and is a Chevy guy, but not a moron, and knew Chevy was having such a hard time selling he literally got them to pay him - 30% off, to drive a Chevy.

Edited by meyeste

I have had 4 eb 3.5s in my family, including my Explorer Sport. One is over 100k, one has 80k, and my Explorer has 60k. None of these have had any issues. The one F150, that was traded in had some trouble at 65k, possibly turbo related, but I don't recall. It was later traded with 90k after it was repaired. These engines have been pushed and we have been very happy with them.

Boy, this is an old thread! Came back to life once again. I can say that I was one of the owners that experienced the moisture shudder. I got a check engine light a week later and I took it in. It blew out one of the catalytic converters in the process. They replaced it, and put the baffle on the CAC and gave it the latest ECM reflash. Everything was back to working order, except that the reflash made it an absolute dog on performance.