Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

chuck zepfel

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective

The lawsuit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORD_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-14-17-57-12

The lawsuit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORD_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-14-17-57-12

no link Chuck.....funny though, usually when theres a supposed issue its usually a Lemon Law issue...lawsuit reeks of class action.......and I havent heard many complaints about the 3.5 at all, in fact, on what Ive witnessed its exemplary.....

This is old news. It was an issue with condensation building up and being sucked into the engine. Ford made a quick fix for it last year and it fixed the problem. The problem was the parts getting to dealers.

This is old news. It was an issue with condensation building up and being sucked into the engine. Ford made a quick fix for it last year and it fixed the problem. The problem was the parts getting to dealers.

well then, so much for that lawsuit.....seriously...this lawsuit at the drop of a hat mentality has to stop...

Yeah this is one big story: 3 people suing with little or no damages. Must be a slow news week.

Our 2011 F-150 had the surging and loss-of-power problem on long interstate drives, when raining or very humid. Took it to the dealer, back-ordered the TSB parts, called when they were in, and problem gone. We have almost 70,000 trouble-free miles on our truck, and we LOVE it! This is a non-issue.

My 2010 SHO had the surge/loss of power. Took it in and they performed some TSB's and she is good to go. Still a stumble from the trans every so often. Might take it back in once I get better situated to do so. One of the issues were spark plugs I believe. (early build car)

When they shut down and shudder its a pretty scary situation, shudder doesn't describe it. Its straight violent.

I hauled it in after being able to repeat the issue a few times in a row, but no parts on my SCREW F150 EB just a reflash and a pat on the ass. So far so good on the shudder. It also cleared up the off the line stumble that I now believe was a misfire. Rattles a little at slow speed and medium load (more misfiring I think).

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to give this truck away in a few years, the shudder, engine rattles and the condition/smell of the oil and a ton of condensation under the oil cap makes me believe it won't be long for this world.

Its cool though- I love the truck. Try not to worry- try to believe it will be fine and its normal.

So have you ridden with a tech and shown him what it is doing? If something cannot be duplicated, it cannot be fixed. The tech probably does not drive it EXACTLY like you do and may not be able to have the issue happen. And moisture under the cap is not an issue. The cap is the highest point in the crankcase and it is not vented there. Moisture builds up.

seriously...this lawsuit at the drop of a hat mentality has to stop...

I wonder if Ford's lawyers are in on it: Find creative ways for Ford to be sued, get their buddies in on the lawsuit, and they get job security from defending the suit.

We're through the looking glass, here…

Over 15,000 F150 Ecoboost sales each month says that this is pretty much a non issue...

I wonder if Ford's lawyers are in on it: Find creative ways for Ford to be sued, get their buddies in on the lawsuit, and they get job security from defending the suit.

I'm pretty sure that'd be a good way to get yourself disbarred. Your loyalty is to your client, not yourself.

In the past three years, Ford has probably sold well over 500,000 V6 Ecoboost F150s, anyone thinking that these trucks will turn into unloved lemons is deluded.

If anything, I predict that the EB V6 will become a cult engine as the aftermarket develops performance kits to turn them into tire frying giant killers.

So have you ridden with a tech and shown him what it is doing? If something cannot be duplicated, it cannot be fixed. The tech probably does not drive it EXACTLY like you do and may not be able to have the issue happen. And moisture under the cap is not an issue. The cap is the highest point in the crankcase and it is not vented there. Moisture builds up.

Of course it can't be repeated with the tech- when does that ever happen. I drove it 500 miles to Minneapolis get to a dealer that isn't a month+ out on service (North Dakota is out of control), and it won't do it even though I could made it happen at will (floor it at 70 mph) all the way to the dealer.

Anyways the moisture under the cap was definitely not insignificant. The inside of the cap was nearly filled with white emulsified water/oil. Stick your finger in a peanut butter jar and scoop, thats how much was built up under the cap.

I keep buying Fords, I have had an assload of them, I've spent nearly a 100k on them since 2009. I'm always impressed overall but since I'm an enthusiast I spot and obsess about the flaws. The last 3, Fusion Hybrid I had one of the first ones a summer 2009 delivery- brakes- a female Ford engineer called me directly about it- reflash released shortly after that dealt with the regenerative braking. The Job1 2011 Fiesta's with no way to disable traction control- massive safety issue in the snow- I tried my hardest and was stonewalled the whole way. Now the F150 Ecoboost- misfiring and stalling- to Fords credit the reflash seems to have addressed all of the stalling and some of the misfiring.

In the past three years, Ford has probably sold well over 500,000 V6 Ecoboost F150s, anyone thinking that these trucks will turn into unloved lemons is deluded.

If anything, I predict that the EB V6 will become a cult engine as the aftermarket develops performance kits to turn them into tire frying giant killers.

The people on this site are nerdy enthusiasts like me- own one- you will love it, I love it.

You need to do your own service and there is no way you won't have nagging reservations about the thing if you pay attention to how it operates.

Of course it can't be repeated with the tech- when does that ever happen. I drove it 500 miles to Minneapolis get to a dealer that isn't a month+ out on service (North Dakota is out of control)

NB for outside readers: dealers are backed up on service because of the oil boom.

NB for outside readers: dealers are backed up on service because of the oil boom.

That's what I assumed. An example of how prosperity in any industry spreads itself through a region, just as much as how the downfall of an existing industry spreads itself through the entire region (see: any rust-belt industry).

Nevermind the POS $28,000 2012 Focus Titanium with the transmission that bogs down and wont move through an intersection or completely stalls the engine. It keeps going into the dealer for reprogramming. Meanwhile we wait to see if it happens again and causes an accident.

On top of that the mass airflow sensor on my 2011 Ranger which had 10,000 miles took a dump at 70 mph on the interstate while traveling away from home and completely disabled the vehicle. I was fortunate enough to move to the shoulder of the road before a tractor trailer flattened me.

Last and final Ford ever...

Edited by StangBang

Nevermind the POS $28,000 2012 Focus Titanium with the transmission that bogs down and wont move through an intersection or completely stalls the engine. It keeps going into the dealer for reprogramming. Meanwhile we wait to see if it happens again and causes an accident.

On top of that the mass airflow sensor on my 2011 Ranger which had 10,000 miles took a dump at 70 mph on the interstate while traveling away from home and completely disabled the vehicle. I was fortunate enough to move to the shoulder of the road before a tractor trailer flattened me.

Last and final Ford ever...

It's a good thing Fords are the only vehicles with problems. You're in the clear from now on!

I owned a brand new 1985 Turbo T-bird, so I'm slightly familiar with turbos, but after 28 years, the technology obviously has changed. I wonder if what they're experiencing is as simple as a gasoline blend change? By that I mean, maybe they started using the premium blend at first (as recommended by Ford), but later decided to go to the regular blend to save money and that may have caused the computer to malfunction...thus the problem that they're experiencing?

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

I owned a brand new 1985 Turbo T-bird, so I'm slightly familiar with turbos, but after 28 years, the technology obviously has changed. I wonder if what they're experiencing is as simple as a gasoline blend change? By that I mean, maybe they started using the premium blend at first (as recommended by Ford), but later decided to go to the regular blend to save money and that may have caused the computer to malfunction...thus the problem that they're experiencing?

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

Could also be varying levels of ethanol in fuels. I suspect (though I can't confirm) that several of the cheapest gas stations use a mixture higher than E10 or maybe even a more hydrous ethanol product. And since people tend to search out the least expensive gas, they go to these spots to fill up.

I run regular only in my Explorer Sport. I have put in 1 tank of premium in almost 9000 miles. Not so much as a hiccup. Temps have been upwards of 100 here already, also, and we live in the mountains, so are regularly doing hard pulls.

I think that there is a small and vocal group of people who have had quite a few problems with their EB F150's. However, I would also bet that if you were to look at the percentages vs numbers sold, it is not any higher than any other engines out there. There are ALOT of these engines out there. That is not to say that the people having the problems do not deserve to have their issues fixed. Or, that Ford should not be constantly looking to improve the package. However, it is obvious that they are doing just that.

I also think that there is a contingent of people that are so anxious to see the EB fail, due to some sort of weird V8's only mentality, that they will grasp at anything to try to prove their point that turbo V6's don't belong in trucks. Frankly, this has been going on since Ford announced the engine.

The reality being, if a manufacturer could get 2 gerbils to produce the power that people wanted...................... people would buy it. Short of the diehards, the vast majority just want great throttle response and good mileage. How that happens..................... they don't really care.

Good. It will be resolved, and most of us will move on. :)